Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago I was on my way home after work, and the truck started shaking at idle when I stopped at a stoplight. It wasn't like it completely dropped a cylinder, more like the timing was off a little. There may have been a little bit of whiteish smoke, but I couldn't tell if it was me or the vehicles around me. I thought it was my imagination, so I just parked it.
Next morning it's doing it again with the shaking. The idle doesn't sound very different, and maybe it's just a little bit more knock. But while running errands that day it cleared up completely. I drove to Madison & back (4 hours round trip), and it never so much as hickup'd.

Then Saturday it did it again with the shaking the truck & strange idle. I didn't notice any smoke, but after I romped on it while running errands, it cleared up. Then it was fine all day Sunday.
Monday evening it started doing it again, this time it sounds a little worse. There's definately more of a knock. And now it gives a huge cloud of white-blue-grey smoke on startup, a whisp of same color at idle, and a small puff on acceleration.

This truck has always used a little coolant, like 1 qt per 10-15 kmiles. I added some last night, so we'll see if it goes down.

It sounds like JDOliver's truck, but my smoke is not near as thick as his is at idle, and not knocking near as bad. White smoke everywhere !! - Powerstroke Nation

So, the question is, if it was a head gasket, would it have quit idling rough?
I was always under the impression that once a head gasket went, it stayed gone.
I hope it's just a crush washer gone bad, but I haven't had the injectors out since I put them in back in feb '08. So unless one worked a little loose, I don't see how that could happen.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
a quart of coolant over 15k aint much,id bet on an injector problem. once a head gasket starts to leak its not gonna stop,it may slow down a little if your not trompin on it but its never gonna disappear.

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
i agree burning any amount is bad,but such a small amount... very doubtfull it would cause any noticeable running issues,i would think its more likely for such a small amount of coolant loss to be going out the cap or a slow leak around a clamp or something,a blown head gasket will usually over pressurize the coolant system,and airate the coolant causing overheating problems as well.just my opinion,anything is possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Mine was not as bad before I did the video posted and didn't make any noise or knock until the last video. It was also random first, as was my previous injector problem that didn't smoke.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good. I figured a headgasket wouldn't re-seal, but wasn't sure. Head gasket is my worst fear, other than cracked piston.
So I suspect an injector problem.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
a quart of coolant over 15k aint much,id bet on an injector problem. once a head gasket starts to leak its not gonna stop,it may slow down a little if your not trompin on it but its never gonna disappear.
Uhhh, any coolant loss is bad, you should not lose any coolant in any amount of mileage. If you do you have an issue.

OP you need to check the oil for coolant, and then pressure test the cooling system, and go from there.

Dave

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The coolant is leaking at the hose-tube interface above the water pump. The old tube was rusted, and I cleaned it out of the hose as best I could when I put the new tube on, and clamped it tight, but it still leaks juuuust a little tiny bit from there. It's so little I don't even bother fixing it.
I'm gonna start troubleshooting tomorrow, I finally got back from a business trip.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got back to the truck.
AE buzz test was good, all solenoids about the same tone & volume.
Cylinder contribution test, on the other hand, showed cyls 6 and 7 (P0278 and P0281).
The rough idle is definately worse when the engine is cold.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I won't be able to do much more until the week after next.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, this stupid truck is running great now, and I mean awesome! Smoothest it's run in quite a while.
I have no clue what's going on. Gonna rain soon, so I'm not opening up the engine. Maybe get the injectors pulled next weekend and put new o-rings & copper washers in.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Could a spool valve stick on these like the 6.0's have problems with?
I've put SeaFoam in the 6.0 trucks and it cleans the spool valves real quick and eliminates the injector shudder problems and power loss...
Anyway, maybe try a bottle of SeaFoam on the oil to clean them up the day before you do a oil change and run it around a little while...it's easy and cheap to try..:shrug:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Finally got back to the truck.
AE buzz test was good, all solenoids about the same tone & volume.
Cylinder contribution test, on the other hand, showed cyls 6 and 7 (P0278 and P0281).
The rough idle is definately worse when the engine is cold.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, I won't be able to do much more until the week after next.
Could the buzz test have loosned up a sticky solenoid...??:confused:

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
7.3 injectors dont have spool valves,they use poppet valves.worn injectors may work sometimes,just enough that the truck will run smooth but the problem will come back.if an injector isnt working properly it needs to be replaced.how many miles do you have on them?

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
7.3 injectors dont have spool valves,they use poppet valves.worn injectors may work sometimes,just enough that the truck will run smooth but the problem will come back.if an injector isnt working properly it needs to be replaced.how many miles do you have on them?
They're 160s that I got from Rosewood early in 2007. So, maybe 20k -35k on them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mine did the same for about a month. Ran a little rough then hold it at higher RPMs for maybe 20-30 seconds and it would clear up. Then one day it just started smoking 100% of the time and clacking like an extremely loose valve. I think its an injector from asking a few different guys.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Do you have a place nearby that can flow test the injectors? I'm lucky enough to have such a place in town, I think they charge around $60 to do it.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have a place nearby that can flow test the injectors? I'm lucky enough to have such a place in town, I think they charge around $60 to do it.
Not that I trust. The only diesel place anyways near close by bends you over and makes you take it dry.
And from conversations with a former employee of theirs (who is actually now my coworker LOL ), I doubt they could do it correctly even if they have the equipment.

Hopefully it's dry out this weekend so I can get them re-sealed.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got to pull the injectors a few weeks ago. Other than some odd markings on them that Jim (and Steve) said are normal, they didn't look too bad. None of the copper crush washers appeared to have been leaking, fuel o-rings looked good, and the lower HPO o-rings looked good. There were a couple of top o-rings that were damaged at the gap in the steel ring, but that was it.
I put everything back together, and once the air was out of the oil, it ran fine.

That is, it ran fine for weeks, until Sunday afternoon. I stopped at a light, and it started the strange rough idle again. I hadn't been beating on it, and to be honest, I was almost babying it, trying to squeeze as much mileage as I can out of it in the city.
I have come to the conclusion that this truck doesn't like to be babied in town. It want to wind out to 2k at least once a day to keep from doing the strange idle.

The idle feels like when there is air in the HPO, but that usually happens with really low oil, at high RPMs, or on steep slopes. None of which apply here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts