Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I figured out that the wastegate went bad, cant have one delivered today and town & country ford wants 665.00 (yes just for the actuator). So out of necessity I built my own version of a turbo master, I used some allthread some various hardware and the guts of the old actuator! Gonna give it a try later after I find that damn e clip lol..... here are some pics if this helps anybody.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
How did this work out for you?

I think I have a similar issue, my wastegate actuator spring is not as strong as it needs to be after 20 years and many many heat cycles and allowing a little bit of a bypass under load. I was thinking of using a wire or something to hold the wastegate closed and not allow it to open at all to prove my thought...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Many, many people wire the wastegate actuator shut. I have no experience with it, but I have seen it in many threads. Do searches about "tightening wastegate" and also if you read about the "red line mod", you will probably also see talk about using a wire to hold it shut.

·
Registered
79 Posts
oh yes I have had the red line attached to an IC clamp since 2007 when I got the truck. My thought is the spring in the WG controller is getting soft and not holding the WG closed like it should/use to. I have seen people wire it shut and that is what I am going to do to test my theory. I have just never seen anyone make their own adjustable controller. Thats the interesting part of this thread. I had thought about getting the kit from dieselsite but almost $200 seems a bit steep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts