Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if I can tie the return line from the regulator to the test port on the factory fuel bowl return side?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Anyone know if I can tie the return line from the regulator to the test port on the factory fuel bowl return side?
Just remove/gut the factory regulator, run the return line from the factory spot in the bowl, straight to the regulator, to the return line to the tank.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Airsley but I dont follow. Im wondering if I can connect the return port on a aeromotive regulator to the plugged port on the fuel bowl. I wanted to leave the factory regulator in place if possible. Referring to the plug next to the factory regulator on the fuel bowl.

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Why leave the factory regulator? It sounds to me like you are not understanding a regulated return. Break it down tank, pump, filter, injectors regulator tank. It sounds like you are asking about putting the regulator before the injectors.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Why leave the factory regulator? It sounds to me like you are not understanding a regulated return. Break it down tank, pump, filter, injectors regulator tank. It sounds like you are asking about putting the regulator before the injectors.
:whs:

Fuel comes from the pump to the bowl. From the bowl to both heads. From the bowl, through the regulator, back to the tank. Are you planning on adding a second return line?

Personally, I am going to change mine a bit. From the bowl to the back of both heads. From the front of both heads to the regulator, from the regulator into the factory return line and back to the tank. I will plug the factory regulator on the fuel bowl. I also plan on running it through a pre pump filter, and through a pair of Super Duty pumps set up in parallel.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think I get the concept. In fact I am only doing a rr not a complete fuel system so we can forget about the tank, pump, after market filters and such.

I am also not talking about regulating the supply as you have stated. I understand that would not make sense. I am building a rr using an aeromotive reg and crimped hose. I will feed the heads from the supply side of the filter bowl and return the fuel path into the aeromotive reg from the opposite end of the heads. The question is instead of having to build a tee fitting to connect my aftermarket reg to the factory fuel return line, can I connect it to the plugged port on the return side of the filter bowl and leave the factory regulator in place? Unless I am missing something that method would still give me a flow through design and regulate the pressure in the heads.

Am I off base here?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am trying to visulize.
It seems you are looking at it diferently than me.
If it were me doing this. I would gut the factory regulator cut the return line from the bowl install the regulator inline and be done. I am not understanding What T you speak of.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am trying to visulize.
It seems you are looking at it diferently than me.
If it were me doing this. I would gut the factory regulator cut the return line from the bowl install the regulator inline and be done. I am not understanding What T you speak of.
I am trying to keep the factory lines intact so that it can be returned to stock later if need be.

Just wondering if there would be a problem with connecting my return off the aftermarket reg to the plugged port on the return side of the bowl to avoid havin to cut the factory return line and clamp on my after market return hose.

I am trying to make sense here but I think i might be speaking dorkfish. Anyone know what I am trying to say?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Just get a regulator block of plate, cut the end of the return line off, and tap your regulator outlet into the factory return.

·
Addicted
1,070 Posts
or get a plug and thread it on the side of the fuel bowl, then like everyone else said just put your regulator on the return line,

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,346 Posts
run the return from the regulator to the return line..not the bowl... if you T into the return the heads will never reach 70 PSI because the stock regulater in the bowl will return at 55-60 PSI...just delete it as Dave said..put the parts in a safe place just incase you want to go back to stock..

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
run the return from the regulator to the return line..not the bowl... if you T into the return the heads will never reach 70 PSI because the stock regulater in the bowl will return at 55-60 PSI...just delete it as Dave said..put the parts in a safe place just incase you want to go back to stock..

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Your explanation flipped a switch. With the path of least resistance being out the factory reg there is no way the aftermarket reg can ever restrict the flow in the heads to the right pressure if tied into the bowl.

That is stupid obvious. I missed it completely. Thanks. I have the block coming back to me on Tuesday and will start assembly and hopefully have it in and runnin again on Sat.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
If you use the factory return line it may be restruictive in aisley's case going to 3.8 or larger is needed. The good news is you can prob use the old fuel line for that run, but you will be going up to a 1/2 line or so for the supply. Esp if your going to twin stockers.

For your build this may or may not be needed, but for hybirds etc you will want more fuell that is why your moddn the fuel system in the first place.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having trouble locating a cap for the factory regulator. Anyone know of a block off plate or a cap that will fit so that the reg can be bypassed.

Thanks

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,346 Posts
i believe its a 5/16 compression cap that you need..i think i have one kicking around..i can check latter if you like...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts