Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a 46637 filter in today and removed the airbox. I was wondering if leaving the air intake temp sensor unplugged will hurt anything...and i also have a custom made vacuum hose on my waste gate with a small hole in it for more boost (my friend hooked me up with it) i think it gives me maybe like 2 more lbs. I get a small turbo "blow off" sound when i shift and im wondering if that is boost going back through the filter???

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
aits is ok to stay unplugged just set it underneath the filter.. that sound would be the turbo surging...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just zip tie the sensor to the nearest bracket, it won't hurt a thing. Can't speak to your other question.

·
Registered
666 Posts
the pachssssss sound is normal for the 6637. lol how ever you wanna spell it we all know the sound.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
From hard WOT at max boost and let off it sound like a fat ass fart. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
aits is ok to stay unplugged just set it underneath the filter.. that sound would be the turbo surging...
No that sound on let off is not surge. Surge happens under load, surge is bad. That sound is normal. Actually I love that sound.

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do too i jut never heard it come through the intake with the stock box in it. I have heard of people with turbo cars blowing their filters out that why i was asking! I am suprised how easy it was to make that intake...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
better than spendin $280 on an S&B or somthin huh

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You do not hear much of anything on closed up stock or other sealed box. The way the filter is set in their it would be very hard for it to blow off not to mention with the amount of flow the pressure is likely quite low against it. Its only a stock turbo after all.

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
Like they all said the swooshing sound is normal. It's just more noticeable now because the 6637 is an open element filter.

What you do not want to hear is barking, chirping, or like TARM said "a fat ass fart." That will kill your turbo.

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys! I put on some 285 dunlop mud terrains just in time for the snow up here! I cant wait to see how it goes!

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
The sound you hear is actually the turbo "stalling" not surging but stalling do to the air movement abruptly stopping when you let off to shift. And like said its not bad.

Also in your first post, I didn't quite understand what you were talking about with the wastegate. Something about a hole in the red line, so the wastegate won't open as easily? I suggest getting rid of that, your loosing boost pressure whether or not you think you are. Take the red line right off the wastegate and put it on one of the IC pipe clamps.

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will completley removing the hose off the waste gate hurt anything?

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
No, not as long as it's plugged. That's why I said stick it over one of the bolts on the IC pipe clamps to plug it. It's best if there are no holes/ leaks in the system. Much better to remove the red line to the wastegate and plug it, than "bleed it off" with a hole.

·
Firefighter/EMT
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So with that little peice my buddy gave me with a small hole in it is actually not helping at all? Im going to unplug it then...

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No that sound on let off is not surge. Surge happens under load, surge is bad. That sound is normal. Actually I love that sound.
sorry i was told that it was all a form of surge

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
So with that little peice my buddy gave me with a small hole in it is actually not helping at all? Im going to unplug it then...
Soudns like you are describing a cheap style boost fooler. Where it bleeds off some of what the MAP sees to allow it to no defuel or throw a code.
The issue with that kind is its bleeding actual boost off itself it I am understanding you correctly. DO what has been said. Take the red tube off and plug it. Most waste gates are weak and let some to pass thru wire it shut will help as well and is bascially free. With a chip you do need to monitor your boost PSI as go too high very often is a sure way to a short life for it. Really anything over 25 is not doing anything positive unless blowing up a turbo so you can get a new larger one is a positive.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
how do you wire it shut?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Let me see if I can find a picture. I know someone posted one up a few months ago.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts