Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again this is for the New PSD guy to give a few pointers and hopefully answer some FAQ's.

1st off the choice of filter is your choice myself I like the reuseable cone type, some prefer the Napa 6637 and simular open element style paper filters. The instalation IMO is the same.

What you will need. Drill/Driver, 1/4 socket bit, 10mm socket, 5/16 socket, prybar, and piece of tubing to connect new filter to old intake hose. I used a "used' 9" long piece of 4" exhaust pipe I had laying around cleaned/deburred.

Start by removing the airbox and intake horn, the box top screws are 1/4 square, use a 1/4 driver bit or ratchet/extension. The horn is held by a 5/16 hex. The air intake hose will need to be losend from the box top, 5/16 worm clamp. The box base is held by a 10mm nut on the rear drivers side, top right of box. In the lower right corner you'll see the air temp sensor it will twist out like a parking lamp bulb.

To removed base use a prybar to move the passengerside rearward to pop out of the rubber gromet seen here next to the bat. Once that 1 is free turn box clockwise and repeat on the drivers side gromet.

The rest is as simple as connect the dots. Place tube into factory intake hose then fiter onto tube and snug the worm clamps.

Use zip tie (not shown) to secure sensor to filter. And you're done ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
great write up.

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
thanx for the write up bro. i am going to do this soon as weather permits. thanx for taking the time.

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Nice post:ford:

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for the write up bro. i am going to do this soon as weather permits. thanx for taking the time.
Your welcome!

And thank you!

I've taken a lot from this Site, it's only right that I give something back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Again this is for the New PSD guy to give a few pointers and hopefully answer some FAQ's.

1st off the choice of filter is your choice myself I like the reuseable cone type, some prefer the Napa 6637 and simular open element style paper filters. The instalation IMO is the same.

What you will need. Drill/Driver, 1/4 socket bit, 10mm socket, 5/16 socket, prybar, and piece of tubing to connect new filter to old intake hose. I used a "used' 9" long piece of 4" exhaust pipe I had laying around cleaned/deburred.

Start by removing the airbox and intake horn, the box top screws are 1/4 square, use a 1/4 driver bit or ratchet/extension. The horn is held by a 5/16 hex. The air intake hose will need to be losend from the box top, 5/16 worm clamp. The box base is held by a 10mm nut on the rear drivers side, top right of box. In the lower right corner you'll see the air temp sensor it will twist out like a parking lamp bulb.

To removed base use a prybar to move the passengerside rearward to pop out of the rubber gromet seen here next to the bat. Once that 1 is free turn box clockwise and repeat on the drivers side gromet.

The rest is as simple as connect the dots. Place tube into factory intake hose then fiter onto tube and snug the worm clamps.

Use zip tie (not shown) to secure sensor to filter. And you're done ;)

sorry its a old post but does it make a big difference with the intake up grade? and got any pics?

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Better filtration and a slight performance increase over the stock airbox.

I had a K&N in a stock airbox and installed a tymar. Got a 1/4 second decrease in 0-60mph times. I thought it was worth it.

Also made 3-4 hp more across the entire powerband than a AFE StageI on a DynoJet 248 at the 400hp level. Don't know if the newer versions make more since I have never seen any dyno results comparing the Tymar (6637) to any of the newer AFEs or S&Bs. Maybe a couple of owners could post up a dyno comparision.

Powerstrokenation.com is the premier Ford diesel site on the net! - Search Results for 6637 for obs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts