Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what should it cost for me and what all is involved to do my own head studs, all machine work would have to be farmed out, but I would do all other labor.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
$600 - $700 studs/gaskets
$300 Oil Cooler Rebuild
$75 misc. gaskets (injectors, fuel lines)
$500 Heads, Full valve check, etc. Only had two that needed replacing, but their expensive as hell from Ford like 8 bucks a pop.,so your talking about another $200 if you replace them all.
$75 Turbo Recondition
$75 Glow Plug Harnesses
$100-$150 Updated hpop fittings/turbo drain/turbo feed

~$1500-$1800

Black I would say is required, with the exception of the oil cooler, but highly recommended. Blue I opted to due while I did mine. I think thats about it. Most of the stuff is flat cost: studs/gaskets. Where you'll save money is by ordering all your parts online from a Ford vendor here: gaskets, oil cooler, etc. My ford dealership wanted ~$800 for all the Ford parts, I think I got away with it all for around $500 online. Other than that the price varies on how crazy you get with the heads and if you decide to do other things such as the glow plugs ect. while your down there.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have 65k on the motor oil cooler and egr was done at 45k, since then the egr was blocked off and it now has a coolant filter. The heads are fine today so do I mess them when they are not broke, or do I wait? My fear is having them go when on a big trip, I don't use it often but when I do it's usually pulling a big toy hauler on a long trip, this summer we are taking it 4k miles?

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
:doh: are you could just order the gasket kits they sell, (didn't know about em when I did mine)

·
Stock parts suck!
110 Posts
I just did mine...It was kinda hard on the wallet but had to be done.
Black Onyx gaskets $210
Studs $500
Oil Cooler Rebuild $225
Glow plug harnesses $80
Hpop fitting $60
Inj O-ring kits $? havent got the bill yet
Head work (machined .003,inj cups,stems,seals,reset valves,misc work)$1000
Egr delete $300
Coolant,oil,filters $150
Misc orings $15

$2540 and a good bit of time...You could probably get away a lil cheaper if your heads are good.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definately have the heads checked for cracks and flatness. You can have hairline cracks now without issues, but increase power with a tuner or other mods and you'll be tearing it apart again.

Are you still running ford gold coolant? If so, switch to an ELC EC-1 silicate free coolant after a full flush. What were the miles when the coolant filter was installed? You could probably get away with keeping the oil cooler, personally, I would replace it.

Sunrise Ford is a sponser on here and gives a 25% discount to members. You can find them under the sponser section.

Cost??? Depends on where you get all your parts and machine work in your area, but I would say around 2K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts