Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to do a fuel return system on my 02'. However funds are tight so I can't really shell out for the Riffraff system. So what I'm thinking is going from the test plugs on the head and routing them into a "T" and into the plugs on the rear of the fuel filter housing. I think I'll add a pressure gauge and possibly shim the FPR as well.

Any thoughts if this will work or not?

Thanks

Kronic

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
the riff raff frx is not a regulated return

correct all it does is allow the air trapped in the line to be released rather than pushed through the injectors

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
How can you afford to fill your truck up if you can't afford the frx? I appreciate that some people do not have the money to purchase full on prefabbed RR or whole fuel systems or wish to. If you are willing or can do a bit of assembly work yourself with a bit of research or asking on here I am sure a detailed parts list and a "how to" could be posted that would allow people to do a full RR with bowl delete keeping it as a stock sized fuel system. Since you are not looking for more fuel flow ( you will actually get some) than the stock lines and pumps can supply there is far less to purchase $$ wise as the fittings and hose is all smaller and less of it is needed along with a pump etc...

Here just off the top of my head and rounding some numbers:

$130 Fuelab Reg
$10 Parker 801 -4an hose 5'
$10 T or a bit more for a Y (1x-6an > 2x-4an)
$7 4x 1/8npt>-4an: (2xstraight 1x 45° 1x90°)
$20 -4 an PL Hose end fittings 3x 90° 1x 45° 4 straight
$5 2x -4an>-6an orb
$2 Compression> -an: 3/8">-6an orb
$25 Spin on filter base (uses the Donaldson 2mic absolute one pass filter.)
$15 in a few fittings to hook the filter base up.

Rounds to $225 add another filter base for a fuel water sep pre pump can be done for $30-40 So for under $300 you can basically do a full system for stock to stage I /stage II injectors. It will get full RR better flow and full real 2mic filtration and actual effective water sep

So figure in shipping $25 more gets you a full RR and removes the restrictive oem fuel port fittings at the heads. For an additional $45 you now have best full filteration with water sep or what around $60 over a FRX shipped.

Further at the very least for stopping air replace the QEM QD fittings at the pump inlet and tank sending unit outlet with some hose and worm clamps. It will stop the air infiltration. Better yet do the whole thing in which case its just worth purchasing the PU kit for that.

Anyways another option and something to consider

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
That may cure some of the dead head feeding , but
Your still missing the regulator .
The reg holds the pressure at the setting it is set at, say 65 psi.
So the fuel in th rails stays (65). Vs the factory may start at 60 and drop down durring use.
Least that is my take on it. There was a 200 dollar reg return for 400hp or less trucks from dinoalternatives, vegistroke or someone like that, or martys diesel has some good designs on a budget. He also does the whole system.

Tarm and a few other have a better grasp on the fuel system, might try a pm.
I decided to wait a bit and do one from di,strickly diesel, irate or marty.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
You forgot the price of the filter themselves no biggie

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
your just pissing in the wind doing the FPX right now...if you want to quite the truck down you need to stop most of the air from getting in the system first..for that you need this kit Driven Diesel 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit

you can find the parts to make your own as well

after that you can work on the cross over or a full return

1 - 8 of 8 Posts