Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the whole electric fuel system on, the pump is running, but not drawing any fuel from the tanks.

I even filled up both filters, thinking there may have been air in the system.

That did nothing.

I have not checked to see what the regulator is set at, but the pump should draw aleast a little fuel shouldn't it?

I am 99% sure i have the system setup right.

I Used the fuel line closest to the frame comeing off of the selector switch. I also made sure, by following the supply line from the top of the motor.

Could i have a bad pump, i hope not, but atleast i will know what is going on.

Anyone that can help or has an idea, please awnser, i need the truck for work!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Are u on the roadside Dead somewhere or do you just need help putting this together?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not on the side of the road man, but need the truck for work tomorrow. I thought this would get the most respones.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ok just making sure. wish i could help but i havent done one on mine yet.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Open the filler caps on the tanks. Remove the line to the engine and let fuel flow into a bucket. Worth a try.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Take a section of fuel line unhook inlet side of pump put section of fuel line on long enough you can gravity feed the pump. You need to poure fuel in that line and let the pump take it thus priming the pump. If you take a bath in fuel it is back wards.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
soulds like you have the lines reverced. the 3/8 is the feed and the 5/16 is the return to the tank

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mine didn't have any trouble priming itself, only took a few seconds.

You could verify fuel is coming out of the line from the selector valve, it is indeed the one closest to the frame on the valve. See if you can put a vacuum on that line and draw fuel out of it (a vacuum brake bleeder pump would work here). That eliminates any problems with supply, you don't want to be chasing problems thinking its the pump if it's actually further upstream!!!

If you are getting fuel supplied to the pump, then check to see if the pump is wired correctly. And is it piped correctly--from memory, I think the long end of the pump is the outlet.

I like the idea of putting hoses on both ends of the pump and sticking them into a bucket of fuel, that would verify supply and outlet. (Note some pumps can pump a smidgeon even running backwards, I'm not sure if this one would, so do check the wiring--if you're not sure, try both ways, the way with the most flow would be correct).

·
Registered
797 Posts
soulds like you have the lines reverced. the 3/8 is the feed and the 5/16 is the return to the tank
They're both 5/16 at the selector valve.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have run into some not all pumps that need to be wet a dry pump does not pump well, buy gravity feeding the pump just to get it wet helps it pull fuel easier.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, thank everyone for your help.

Yes, i am sure i have it in the feed line. Like said above, at the selector they are both 5/16.

I tried to bypass my prefilter so it had fuel right out of the selector and still nothing.

IF the pump is running, it should be wired correctly? I used a wiring diagram someone made off of the site.

I am going to try to gravity feed the pump when i get off work and see if it will pump anything.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The pump is DC, with two wires going to it. If the + and - are reversed, the pump would (probably) run....but it'd be turning backwards, hence no suction and no pressure.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, well i ran new wires from the pump, but i took off the red positive wire ran it to my relay. Then took off the black wire - and ran it to a ground.

I grounded it on my aluminum mount, has steel bolt. Could that cuase it not to ground properly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I grounded the pump directly to the steel frame using a regular steel bolt, as long as the aluminum mount is grounded I'd say you're fine.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you to everyone for your help, got the pump to work and the truck running! Its amazing how much of a difference the fuel system makes.

Only got to drive the truck for about 20 minutes, but the idle is amazing, top end is much better also. Starts are a a lot better also.

Oh yeah, i got the pump running by taking it off, putting a long hose with a funnel on the end, held it up in the air, then i hooked a battery charger to the pump, and the pump took a second, but started working, probably just hasn't been used for a couple of years.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
I have found that selecting the rear tank makes the system gravity feed the fuel pump making it self priming if the pump is located in the frame rail. The fuel system is not self-priming when the side tank is selected.

The other problem encountered is reverse polarity of the fuel pump connections.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That, makes sense, if my back tank wasn't basically empty i would have tried that.

Ya, made sure that the pump was wired right from the start.

Im just glad i got the pump to work and i didn't spend money on another one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
That cool, glad to hear its working. Mybe someday you can show me how to do one on mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts