Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done doing a bed liner in a truck i am restoring for a friend. It is Al's Liner. DIY Truck Bed Liners!. I cannot recommend it enough. I have done Hurculiner(garbage), had line-x done, rhino done and i really like this so far. It goes on from thick and lumpy all the way to as smooth at a very orange peally paint job. I have no idea on wear factors but from others experiaces, they say it wears better than rhino, close to a line-x.

here are some pics

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00411.JPG

DSC00410.JPG

DSC00412.JPG

DSC00414.JPG

·
Registered
207 Posts
Brad that looks like it came out nice. Did you spray or roll it one? I have been looking into a couple DIY bedliner kits to do on my F150. I may have to try this stuff out. Thanks.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
Sweet What did you yous to put it on.. It Looks VERY nice

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used Al's own spray gun. The liner is like 90 bucks a kit(gallon) and 49 for the spray gun. The kit contains a primer(adheasion promoter), polyomer resin, catalyst, activator, and a Black dye(i beleive you substitute a tint if you want to color match). And a mixer for the drill. You spray on the primer, while it was drying i dumped the 4 parts together and mixed it. By the time i had the mixture done , the primer was tacky, then i just started spraying

i used 2 kits and it is about 1/8 - 1/4 thick. So i have about 220 in the liner plus some sand paper, dropcloths and tape. So under 250, and it took me about 6 hours from start to finish, But i sanded the living piss out of the bedLOL

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
I used Al's own spray gun. The liner is like 90 bucks a kit(gallon) and 49 for the spray gun. The kit contains a primer(adheasion promoter), polyomer resin, catalyst, activator, and a Black dye(i beleive you substitute a tint if you want to color match). And a mixer for the drill. You spray on the primer, while it was drying i dumped the 4 parts together and mixed it. By the time i had the mixture done , the primer was tacky, then i just started spraying

i used 2 kits and it is about 1/8 - 1/4 thick. So i have about 220 in the liner plus some sand paper, dropcloths and tape. So under 250, and it took me about 6 hours from start to finish, But i sanded the living piss out of the bedLOL
It looks like it was worth it.. Good job

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Nice I like it .How hard is it to spray ?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice I like it .How hard is it to spray ?
Quite easy to spray, but i am used to painting. HArdest part was holding the gun, it is heavy with a gallon of material in the gun

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Yeah, Herculiner sux. Ive got it in my truck and it tears if you look at it wrong

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
looks really good... ive used it several times.. i have also tried to color match it to my truck but it didnt come out perfect.. i used 1 quart of ford white in place of the black.... but white is the hardest color to match... here are some pics of it... i did my brothers bed and then i did my camper shell in the white

its good stuff... its been on my brothers truck for almost a year now and still looks great...

i am a dealer so if you guys are interested in a group buy i can make something happen

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
hmm I was looking at the monstaliner, but I like the look of this is there any rubber crumb or sand in it? I want a product that does NOT have this in it. I need to do the mangers in my horse trailer and was wondering if different spray techniques can make it smoother also. And I have two flat beds to do.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
nope to both of your questions.. i know you can add rubber crumbs to it and some other mixtures.. but the base units doesnt have any in it that im aware of.. but i can double check for sure...

and you can spray it smoother... all depends on what PSI you spray it at... the higher PSI the smoother it is.. the lower the more clumpier it gets...

i sprayed mine at about 65PSI..

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As stated above. No grit or rubber but both can be added if wanted. I sprayed that liner at about 50psi

If you dont add one of the 4 parts to the mixture it will lay down smooth like paint. Here is the online HOW to. Scorpion is the parent company of AL's http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/multimedia/GWTV.swf

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
nice, when I get ready I will be getting a hold of you to get this setup. I need to do one of the flatbeds and the trailer mangers soon, I imagine about mid september I will be ready.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yeah, Herculiner sux. Ive got it in my truck and it tears if you look at it wrong
Agreed. I've got 3 coats on my rocker panels, and even with doing extensive prep work it's still chipping

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont get it TANK. You are the only person i know of that actually likes their herculiner. MAybe you got lucky

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did 3-4 hours worth of prep in my SD bed and the herculiner just fell off. I was pissed. Using a Karcher powerwasher it took me about 30 min to strip it completely out of my 8' bed

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
ive had good luck with mine too, i did a ton of sanding and cleaning before hand and its held up so far but im wishing i put it on thicker in some spots but thats application error.. could i go over it with more or do i have to take it all off?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts