Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be installing an intercooler soon and I thought about looking into the 3" plenums while I was at it. Well I can't afford the fancy billet ones that probably work just as good as the OEM super duty ones, and I cant find any Super Duty plenums. Mine should be easy to modify.

Who has made their own?

What about welding a 3" pipe OVER the 2" pipe (to make sure it's positioned correctly) and then cutting the 2" pipe out with a mini die grinder? Has anyone done this?

Then I was looking at how flat the plenums are, and wondering how the outer two cylinders could get as much air as the middle two. What about creating a 1/2" riser plate that would go between the head and the plenums to add volume under the stock plenums? Think that's possible? The riser would need to be tapered (narrow side on the top) to allow the pipes to end up in the right spot.

·
Bushwacker
269 Posts
sorry not to intrude on your thread but how do you like the caltrac bars? :doh:
and i think to be honest its worth a shot trying your custom 3 inch plenums. but study the other plenums because they will tell you if you need the risers or not

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PM me about the Caltracs. It may take me over the holidays to respond. In a word - awesome.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I thought about building at set of plenums like the ones WOP sells. I have a 95 without the extra holes so if I built my own I wouldnt have welded up holes. I ended up finding a set of SD plenums so I gave up on that plan. Still havent installed them though.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
I think it would work.. Take some time but would work.. Are you going to make your own IC pipes and spyder???

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
swamps sells the sd ones

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
The 3" plenums are only like $50. I wouldn't waste any time welding.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes 50$ is what I paid!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Swamps has them!

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
50 bucks???? WOW not a bad price. BUT if you do weld them you could do it in a way to get rid of those two boots down there....

But still for 50 bucks. THAT is a good price!!!

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I see no point in trying to build a set for mild power unless you have a 94/95 head that won't line up with the bolt pattern. They came on any late 99-03 7.3L Powerstroke or T444E out of a bus.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I see no point in trying to build a set for mild power unless you have a 94/95 head that won't line up with the bolt pattern. They came on any late 99-03 7.3L Powerstroke or T444E out of a bus.
Crap! 94/95 engines you cant just bolt a set of 3"s on?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I know they work on the 97s I have them....

·
Registered
353 Posts
I purchased mine from Clay at RiffRaff. He is a great guy to work with and gave me a great deal. Ford wanted like $90 each, and he sold them to me for $60 for the pair. Thanks Clay.

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
For the 94.5-95 you can make a valve cover clamp like the long ones they sell for small block chevy valve covers, just have to make them long enough to bridge over the unused holes. Worked fine on my buddy's 95 truck.

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Nope.. You have to weld a hole shut on the 3" plenums... Otherwise you might get a boost leak... :)
Definitely have one.

For the 94.5-95 you can make a valve cover clamp like the long ones they sell for small block chevy valve covers, just have to make them long enough to bridge over the unused holes. Worked fine on my buddy's 95 truck.
I usually just plug the hole and have it tigged.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I came across a set of 3" plenums and a late 99 spyder, ic, and pipes for cheap so I scooped them up. As my (97) truck has a stock turbo, I figured I couldn't use the 3"plenums or the spyder... anyone have a suggestion on how I could utilize what I've got?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts