Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
If you do your reasearch, you will find ALOT of unsatisfied people that did rear disc conversions on these trucks. TCM makes a kit and another one. But both use car calipers which are not enough to stop there big trucks.

There is someone in the mix machining SD hubs to OBS pattern though to go with those brakes

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
but thay stop better than the stock drum do !

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I dont get the big deal. A properly adjusted set of OBS drums stops the truck just fine. I can lock mine up at will. How much more stopping power do you need?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Whites Diesel Performance
388 Posts
If you do your reasearch, you will find ALOT of unsatisfied people that did rear disc conversions on these trucks. TCM makes a kit and another one. But both use car calipers which are not enough to stop there big trucks.

There is someone in the mix machining SD hubs to OBS pattern though to go with those brakes

A: Because such people do not switch to a 97 SD or 450 Master to accommodate disc brakes

B: Using a SD axle is the only true way to go unless you figure a way to match big brakes on the existing housings.

C: You should not be able to lock your rear brakes up RWAL is what is ran in these trucks from 1987-1997 Which is Rear Wheel Anti-Lock. It works by pressure hold, pressure release and pressure hold again. Just like pumping the pedal only faster then you can do it lol. If you can lock them up you need to check your ABS unit located under the D side floor board on the frame OR you have your rears too tight. What I have done for most customers is install a load sense proportioning valve or use a manual proportioning valve. Manual install with the use of a brake pressure gauge to make it a 60/40 split for those who don't tow often or a 40/60 for those that do.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting guys. My main motivation was for the ease of changing them out and also so that I could run some performance pads and rotors. I'm not real experienced with drums, but I wouldn't assume that there is as much performance market. So essentially if I found two matching sd axles it would be the best?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
A: Because such people do not switch to a 97 SD or 450 Master to accommodate disc brakes

B: Using a SD axle is the only true way to go unless you figure a way to match big brakes on the existing housings.

C: You should not be able to lock your rear brakes up RWAL is what is ran in these trucks from 1987-1997 Which is Rear Wheel Anti-Lock. It works by pressure hold, pressure release and pressure hold again. Just like pumping the pedal only faster then you can do it lol. If you can lock them up you need to check your ABS unit located under the D side floor board on the frame OR you have your rears too tight. What I have done for most customers is install a load sense proportioning valve or use a manual proportioning valve. Manual install with the use of a brake pressure gauge to make it a 60/40 split for those who don't tow often or a 40/60 for those that do.
I addressed part "A" here: Rear disc kit - opinion on it(long) - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I know the OBS F-SuperDuty truck have a load sensing valve mounted on the rear. What did you use to make yours? Any ics of it?

I know about the manual porportioning valves as I use one in my race car.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
737 Posts
03 dodge AAM rear axle

·
hit n miss
549 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
idk about yall but i pull a trailor everyday for the last 200k on my f350 dually and i have never wished i had rear disks. im a big break guy. i always replace my pads when they are 3/4 used and use premium pads. now the only thing is that i live in houston and dont have to deal with steep grades like yall do.

i have see a lot of people go a little cheap on pads and then complain about their stoping power. also u have to replace fluid every now and then. i bought a vacume pump and suck all the old stuff out starting with the rear wheel. then move foward till u get to the driver front. u might be amazed at how your truck stops.

one more thing. do this yourself. a shop normally will just slap that #### together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts