Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Davey B
930 Posts
You would think since hes saving all that money between fill ups he might be able to afford some paint and body work

·
The Original
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason here is some more info direct from the owner

"Deutz manufactured the engine as a "special BF4L 913" for GMC a little over three decades ago. I "discover" the engine sitting in Deutz's Richmond, IN warehouse. It was inferred to me the engine was destined for a UPS delivery van that GM was going to produce. However, the union(s) were protesting the use of a German manufactured engine and the project was discontinued. Apparently they forgot GMC was making Deutz's BF6L 913 available in their medium duty trucks about that time. Deutz was most generous in making the engine available to me.

I perfer not to disclose engine output data as it differs from that published by Deutz. The engine, along with the transmission and transfer case, was tested on our dynamometer for base line data and torsional vibration before being installed in the truck. Needless to say, the truck manages to keep up with most traffic.

I consider the truck's fuel economy to be exceptional, although one always wishes it was greater. I hesitate to offer data as we measure test fuel burn in "miles per pound" (some have suggested "miles per barrel") and that's confusing to most. The fuel we use has a wide API gravity (density) variation and the BTU's per pound can differ further complicating things. I offer the follwing link as a glimpse to what the truck can obtain under favorable conditions. Kindly use it and scroll down to the tenth "Update."

http://www.iowahawk.typepad.com/iowa...-cruisein.html

As the fuel temperature in the tank had stabalized I think the fuel burn given is accurate.

Thanks for the inquiry and thank you for the "Thank You.""

"In reviewing my reply to your inquiry I realize I might have been short with respect to the truck engine's output. As configured it has a maximum BMEP of 120 psi when tested to DIN 70020 which is modest for 4.1 liters of displacement. With charge air cooling and other changes a BF4L 913 has reached a BMEP of 225 psi and CHT stayed within limits. However, our goal has been maximum fuel economy and longevity with a wide range of raw well oils as fuel. Currently the truck is undergoing a 600,000 mile inspection."

Deutz in F-250 - TheDieselGarage.com

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Those deutz motors don't make a whole lot of power. My uncles racer car hauler had one. Took alot of modding to get that thing to keep up with traffic.

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
i have seen some tractors w/ deutz motor run very good... pullin tractors that is.

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
i have seen some tractors w/ deutz motor run very good... pullin tractors that is.
there are now 2 silver bullit pulling tractors, one with a 3208 cat (the origional one) and one with a deutz (silverbullit reloaded) the one with the deutz beat the cat down at louisville this year and they were both driven by the same person

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
there are now 2 silver bullit pulling tractors, one with a 3208 cat (the origional one) and one with a deutz (silverbullit reloaded) the one with the deutz beat the cat down at louisville this year and they were both driven by the same person
Just curious did the deutz have more HP?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts