Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the diesel pick up world and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on the disaster prevention kits for my ‘14 6.7. I hear the CP4 pumps can be a problem. Who has them and who has had one work? Before I throw $300+ at it I’d like to get some opinions. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
The secret is keep clean fuel in it, and change the filters and oil religiously.
Clean formal, oil, and filters are trick for long life.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m a maintenance bug so they won’t be a problem at all. That being said I have a hard time swallowing a 5k mike oil change interval. I’ll probably end up doing it at 4K. Filters will be done at the same

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,506 Posts
If I may, the 5k interval is a good one (if you use synthetic like Motorcraft's 5w40 and their filters), recommended by the manufacturer, and I would say they probably know better than anyone who didnt engineer it. I only say that to try and prevent you from short-changing yourself over time. I have serviced dozens upon dozens of 6.7 fleet tow trucks before (they get ran HARD), never any issues as long as its not leaking/eating oil.

Can't speak for the prevention kit. I've seen a few on some trucks, but every truck I've been involved replacing fuel components has never had it on...I have never even heard concrete confirmation that it works 100%. Like tjc said, clean fuel is the secret. Dont buy cheap crappy fuel, and don't use anything but Motorcraft fuel filters at the very least (preferably oil filter too). The pump grenades because of fuel contaminants, not just because it feels like it. Hope this helps ya a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Definitely appreciate the info! Nothing but motorcraft oil and filters. The dealer said 10w30 is what they recommend. Should I be using 5w40? It’s high mileage but I don’t pull much of anything for any distance. As for the fuel, the only station near me is a speedway but idk how quickly they turnover their diesel. I do have an abundance of 2 stroke oil I’ve been adding to every other fill up

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,506 Posts
Here in the PNW we use primarily 5w40 on the trucks I've serivced. Ford recommends 5w40 for "severe duty", but I can't imagine you would have any issues with 10w30. In my humble opinion, its more about the working temp ranges of the chosen oil really. On the chart I posted 10w30 is for normal use, so I'd say you're golden.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts