Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow strokers, this is going to be my first Diesel Build so it should be interesting.
Starting with a newly purchased 95 F250 Regular cab Longbed 4x4, the truck had no rust, ran decent and the 4wd worked. The truck was definitely used like a truck though, bed was full of dents, scrapes and scratches, front ttb was trash and the interior was sun beaten.
Since I had no real experience with diesels I left the truck alone while I searched the Diesel forums for insight on my truck and it's powerplant.
I drove the truck for a while until I realized that the cooling system started to contaminate with diesel fuel(cracked injector cup). Now that the truck was down I had time to start other mods i had been planning....

First thing I did was scrap the bed...

Next was the shortbed conversion, I measured and found that 16 inches would have to be removed from the center of the trucks frame
for the new bed to fit correctly. So I began by removing the driveshaft, front fuel tank, and muffler. Since I will also be doing efuel I just cut the 2 remaining fuel lines. The brake line was easy, since there was a fitting right beside the transfercase on the frame that connected the long pieces of brake line together. I just unbolted the rear side of the line, removed the correct amount of line and reflared the end. When the frame is shortened I will just hook the line back together using the existing fitting. The electrical lines running to the rear were also easy, just cut and splice.

After checking my measurments a hundred times, I made some marks and started cutting. After trying several cutting tools I ended up using a sawzall which worked great. Not having access to a lift meant alot of cussin trying to get the frame back to the right position for spotwelding. But here it is along with the section of frame I removed.

A closer view..

Here is is with the frame welded back together and painted with a protective coat(I only had white). Later I will also be reinforcing the weld with a plate...Check out the funky fifth wheel contraption they were using.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I try and track down a shortbed in good shape here locally, I thought I would move on to some engine mods as well as some maintenance. Since this truck is going to be used primarily for going to and from work along with hauling the occasional horse trailer the mods I am doing are in the name of simplicity.
I began by removing the turbo, Fuel filter canister/regulator, fuel pump and valvecovers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
wow:eek: where did the rest of the frame go lol, looks good

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the first things on the list will be removing the ebpv. Not only do I not like the annoying hissing in the morning but it also leaks oil everywhere... A ebpv delete pedastal will be ordered.

In the mean time I went ahead and removed the exhaust valve and shaft. The rivets that hold the flap to the shaft are really stubborn, I had to work on them for a while with the dremel. After removal I sealed the hole with a freeze plug. Done deal

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock bulky system. Time for some upgrades

I will be attempting to reuse the stock regulator.. Since a picture says a thousand words Ill show where im going with this...

The piece I removed was tapped and plugged, then bolted it back to the regulator housing using the stock bolts and a new o-ring. Now I will just cap the remaing nipple and perform something similar to the bb mod to raise pressure a bit.
Looks like it belongs there....

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would of Z cut that frame and fish plated it too. I cracked mine because I didn't have a large enough fish plate on mine. I took 30" out though.

·
OBS Addict
1,350 Posts
Looks like a fun project.

That paint combo looks familiar.... LOL

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
not z-cutting it isn't too big of a deal, whats done is done.

but you DEFINITELY need to fishplate it, and box it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Looks like a fun project.

That paint combo looks familiar.... LOL
^What he said.

Looks like an awesome project! Will definitely be following this.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You might wanna plug that old fuel pump hole before you loose something you don't want to in the hole.

·
In-THe-Dirt_Powerstroker!
280 Posts
You might wanna plug that old fuel pump hole before you loose something you don't want to in the hole.
Thats what i was just about to say!

lotsa dirt. cap it off and scrape that stuff out, then use a degreaser and (elbow grease-Clean) that sucker up! :ford:

Besides that, Looks like fun! I bet you'll make some sharp turns towing with this short guy. -JUST LIKE A SEMI WITH A 55FT TRAILER-

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some tools to R&R the injector cups.
[/IMG]
Tap works well..
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
#1-7 injector sleeves appeared to be ok... #8 had 2 cracks.
[/IMG]
New Sleeve going in..
[/IMG]

Was planning on Stage 1's but due to money constraints I'll just be replacing injector o-rings for now....
[/IMG]
Injector with new orings..
[/IMG]

·
Smell My Finger
1,029 Posts
Kool project.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took a different approach on plugging the fuel pump hole...
I cut off the bottom section of the fuel pump that fit into the engine block leaving a small lip at the top so when installed it would not fall into the engine.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
The tappet hole was tapped and plugged... Then the assembly was coated in grey permatex and installed..
[/IMG]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started looking into deleting my EBPV portion on my turbo pedestal and decided it was fairly strait foward and alot cheaper than buying a new Pedestal. Forgot to take pics of the process but here is the end result..
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
Is it just two butt welds holding that frame together? Please, for safety sake go back and make some sandwich plates to go over that area an add some additional strength.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While replacing the injector cups I noticed the UVCH on both sides had melted in spots, which would explain the intermittant miss. So I'll be replacing them along with new glow plugs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the truck driving again, at least round the yard. Finished up the engine work, E-fuel and mocked up a rear driveshaft. Then did a little maintance, rear brakes, wheel bearings, master cylinder and booster etc.. Got a bed im currently trying to aquire and still on the lookout for a front dana 60

1 - 20 of 87 Posts