Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pulled the axle shafts today to do inner axle seals I realized there is dirt all over the shafts and about half an inch deep in the tubes. Should I shoot water down the tube to knock it all out or is that a rust risk?

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
i would have hosed em out with the axle shaft still in place before disassembly
while having dirt in their is normal after a while on your year I like to have it clean so when the axle slides back in it doesn't pick up dirt

I am sure you can still get them cleanish without getting dirt on the dif internals by plugging the seals and thats the only place rust would be an issue the axle tube is subject to water /salt /mud ETX normally so do as you please to clean it

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm going to spray from the differential out so nothing gets in that cavity

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have used a piece of 3/8 sized scrap rod with a flat washer welded on the end and used it as a scraper to pull the crap out of the axle tubes. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I ended up cleaning everything REALLY good. I took about a 4 foot rod and rammed rags down the tubes like cleaning a gun barrel and then flushed the tubes with red dye diesel fuel. Looked like a nice clean shotgun barrel when I was through with it

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I guess it's no big deal for dirt and whatever to get in the tube since there is no seal or anything that seals off the tube. You would think there would atleast be something to keep it from completely filling up like mine had done

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is an outer seal in some D60's but they tend to be even worse. The seal doesn't prevent the dirt and grime from getting into the axle tube, but it sure does a good job of keeping it from getting OUT again. LOL

You're better of without the outer seal, to be honest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts