Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2003 F250 Lariat
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need some help here because I am totally lost. Went to leave work one night truck wouldn't start. Didnt want to crank. It barely turned over and was struggling to crank.While it did crank the lights inside were flickering and the gauges were going back and forth. Then starter just started clicking and truck wouldn't even turn over. Short end of the a long story is I have replaced starter, alternator and batteries so far. Truck still seems like it is struggling to start. When it cranks it does not seem to be cranking very fast. The best way to describe the way it is cranking would be if you had week batteries. As I was saying before starter alternator and batteries are all new so i know it is not them. Does anyone have any ideas what could possible be going on? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did all cable connections get cleaned? Have you checked all your grounds?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Check the main ground on the motor. You probably replaced some good items. What you need is a DVOM and a little knowledge. Do a voltage drop test on all your battery connections. Then do a cranking voltage test. You should see no less than 9.6 volts. Hopefully you haven't taken out your FICM. This may be of some help. Test,verify,repair. My gut feeling is a bad main ground.

View attachment 05_Diesel_sheet.pdf

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
A bad ground or other connection! Also if your alternator was bad (or had a bad connection) it would never charge the batteries properly, low battery voltage would put stress on the starter and FICM, you could damage the starter and/or FICM. A big cycle that feeds on itself.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,327 Posts
A bad ground or other connection! Also if your alternator was bad (or had a bad connection) it would never charge the batteries properly, low battery voltage would put stress on the starter and FICM, you could damage the starter and/or FICM. A big cycle that feeds on itself.
Through damaged batteries into that cost cycle too! Gets expensive fast!

·
2003 F250 Lariat
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had batteries tested also . Only the drivers side batt tested weak. Passenger battery tested good. I replaced both of them anyways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts