Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok got the truck back in May, just have a couple questions. i know something is done to the transmission, it shifts firmer than a stock, so i know it at least has a shift kit or something, but other than that if there anyway to tell if its stock or aftermarket? also is there any spec numbers on the turbo to tell if its stock? its a garrett but is there any way to tell if its a stocker? owner said it was never chipped. any info?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
To answer the thread title, we need more info. Too vague! But here's a vague answer anyway, everything is different. Aftermarket, in this instance anyway, means a custom built trans which is probably beefed up and has a triple disc convertor.

As for the turbo, same deal. More info on what you have. Pics?

Cant answer any of the questions clearly without some kind of info.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i will get pics tomorrow, i am pretty sure its the stock trans, just shifts alot firmer than another 7.3 i have drove.

as again i think the turbo is stock, just want to be sure and on the safe side. i will post pics and info in the morning. thanks!

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
ok i will get pics tomorrow, i am pretty sure its the stock trans, just shifts alot firmer than another 7.3 i have drove.

as again i think the turbo is stock, just want to be sure and on the safe side. i will post pics and info in the morning. thanks!
Aftermarket tuning as well as some different stock strategies can do what you are describing. Im not sure pics of the trans case, in the truck will tell anything. At the very least, you'll have to pull the inspection cover to help id an a/m converter.

What are you worried about being on the safe side of? Im willing to help or aid in getting you help but Im just really unsure of what you're trying to find out?

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
A Built trans will have some kind of brand stamp, a tag etc.

If it shifts firmer it could be a shift kit or a valvebody. You could pull the pan and see if it has writing or a mark on the valvebody.

The stock turbo is a Garrett. If its a 38r it will have a 4" Intake, where-as the stock is 3".

It could also be a van turbo. Whick most dont have a wastegate among other differences Im not sure about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts