Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference in HID setups? I notice that there are 35watt and 55watt HID kits. Also I want to have a white HID kind of like the color you see in stock mercedes HID lights...what should I get cause I know the 8000k has somewhat of a blueish tint to it.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
We need to get some semi controlled pics of different kits in action from our trucks sometime to show the color differences and all. I doubt we can come up with a way to really show brightness differences since everyones camera will be different and surroundings and all but a color chart like that would rock and help people decide what they want.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
See what I can add. I put this together to help new HID users see where the majority lies when it comes to picking a color of HID bulb. Purely for fun.

Some background first - "HID light sources also produce a blue-white light that is safer because it is closer to natural daylight. The color temperature of daylight is approximately 4200 K compared to 3200 K for halogens. The increased light output from a 35 watt XENON HID lamp is approximately 80% more light then a 55 watt halogen bulb.Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that color temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or HID kit. This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the color temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a color temperature of approx 12,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 7000k, 7500k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual color output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output they produce."

^ (paraphrased from tbyrnmotorsports)

------------------------------ Approximate
Light Source ----- K Temp --- Lumens (output)
Halogen bulb ----- 3200k --------- 1500-2000
Sunlight ----------- 4700k
D2S bulb ---------- 4100k --------- 3200
D2S bulb ---------- 6000k --------- 2800
--------------------- 8000k HID ---- 2500
-------------------- 10000k HID ---- 2200
-------------------- 12000k HID ---- 2100

^ (D2S bulbs above rated off of a Phillips and Phillips Ultinon bulb, respectively)

I would like to reiterate as I have said a few times before in forum, that every HID system with projectors (not reflectors) will have a color shift in appearance (visible as you approach an oncoming vehicle or as seen by illuminating your headlights on a white wall) there is that line of blue/purple (and other colors, however minimal) that is generated as the light source bends around the cutoff in your projector headlamp. Now, the whiter the light, the more definition of a blue/purple cutoff you will have. So, if you have 4300k HIDs installed, that cutoff that you and everyone will see, will have a significant amount of blue/purple and a little gold, (pink perhaps too) at the horizon... very defined and eyecatching.

As you go up the kelvin scale, the less variation in color you will see. If you are in blue territory, you will maybe see a dark blue cutoff, but nothing else. Purple HIDs get the same, all purple and no variation. Although from what I researched, the typical OEM D2S bulbs are 4100k.

Some examples:

I personally think this 6000K HID is throwing too much light into the oncoming lane. Adjustment is a very important detail with these. The pattern needs to be considered.

·
6,476 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow great write up..Thanks. I think I might go with the 5000k as from those pics they look to me like they are the most white. You guys know of any good retailers or should I just look for an e-bay special?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
retro-soultions.com they are a site sponsor. The 4300k will be the brightest and purest white with a very slight tint of blue at operating temperatures.

·
6,476 Posts
Wow great write up..Thanks. I think I might go with the 5000k as from those pics they look to me like they are the most white. You guys know of any good retailers or should I just look for an e-bay special?
Retro Solutions is one choice.

Low/High beam do not alter the source output intensity, only the beam pattern changes.
4300k = 3200 lm @ 35W
4300K = 4500 lm @ 55W
5000K = 3100 lm @ 35W
5000K = 4300 lm @ 55W

Just note that you will get the most light from the 4300 HID and do the least amount of dazzle to on coming traffic when aimed correctly.

Also, IMHO, putting a 9007 configured HID bulb in a stock headlight is not the best option as it does not focus the light correctly, compared to a 9007 halogen in the same fixture as designed.

My opinion is still out on the projector head upgrades through a clear plastic lens on our trucks. When I can see some beam patterns through a SD/OBS headlamp with a modified projector I may be happier.

As for now, if I upgrade to a HID headlamp, I would most likely buy headlamps designed for HID projectors and designed for our trucks, to ascertain I get a light that is good for me and primarily safe for on coming traffic. Here is one example of a headlamp that is supposed to be designed and built for our trucks. I haven't seen it in person, but would most likey put in something like this.

I think one of the reasons I'm a little critical on the HID upgrades is my kid did one in his car, and now, several tickets latter and a failed DMV inspection, they have come out. :doh: I will be very careful fully checkout the HIDs setup before I get one for my trucks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the retrosolutions 55w 5000's in my truck and love them. I do get flashed every great once in awhile for being too bright though. They are bright white with a very slight tint of blue.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Retro Solutions is one choice.

Just note that you will get the most light from the 4300 HID and do the least amount of dazzle to on coming traffic when aimed correctly.

Also, IMHO, putting a 9007 configured HID bulb in a stock headlight is not the best option as it does not focus the light correctly, compared to a 9007 halogen in the same fixture as designed.

My opinion is still out on the projector head upgrades through a clear plastic lens on our trucks. When I can see some beam patterns through a SD/OBS headlamp with a modified projector I may be happier.

As for now, if I upgrade to a HID headlamp, I would most likely buy headlamps designed for HID projectors and designed for our trucks, to ascertain I get a light that is good for me and primarily safe for on coming traffic. Here is one example of a headlamp that is supposed to be designed and built for our trucks. I haven't seen it in person, but would most likey put in something like this.

I think one of the reasons I'm a little critical on the HID upgrades is my kid did one in his car, and now, several tickets latter and a failed DMV inspection, they have come out. :doh: I will be very careful fully checkout the HIDs setup before I get one for my trucks.

Nigel,

I understand your thoughts on the projector deal. But here is the thing, there are alot of vehicles that come with HID's from the factory that do NOT use projector lenses. For instance the 99 Acura RL's and TL's, Current Toyota Prius, they have HID's and work perfectly fine, some people think that you can only have HID's in a projector housing to get the benefit, and it just isn't true.

I know the light cutoff wont be as crisp without a projector, but I would rather have light going a little higher without a cutoff line, JMHO

I feel confident that a HID is a standard housing properly aimed (by properly I mean down not up) will work perfectly fine and not be a nuisance to oncoming cars, I have them in my truck that has a leveling kit and nearly 38" tires, and they are aimed properly, I never get flashed.

I think most problems that stems from the HID's and housing not being properly adjusted after install. Then to top it off, people have a 6" lift on the truck or maybe even a 4" for that matter with normal halogen bulbs, and they never adjust the headlights to compensate for the new lift and get the light on the actual road. So then they think their light output sucks (it may) but they add the HID's and it fixes the problem, but creates another problem for oncoming cars. this is just my .02

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Nigel,

I understand yout thoughts on the projector deal. But here is the thing, there are alot of vehicles that come with HID's from the factory that do NOT use projector lenses. For instance the 99 Acura RL's and TL's, Current Toyota Prius, they have HID's and work perfectly fine, some people think that you can only have HID's in a projector housing to get the benefit, and it just isn't true.

I know the light cutoff wont be as crisp without a projector, but I would rather have light going a little higher without a cutoff line, JMHO

I feel confident that a HID is a standard housing properly aimed (by properly I mean down not up) will work perfectly fine and not be a nuisance to oncoming cars, I have them in my truck that has a leveling kit and nearly 38" tires, and they are aimed properly, I never get flashed.

I think most problems that stems from the HID's and housing not being properly adjusted after install. Then to top it off, people have a 6" lift on the truck or maybe even a 4" for that matter with normal halogen bulbs, and they never adjust the headlights to compensate for the new lift and get the light on the actual road. So then they think their light output sucks (it may) but they add the HID's and it fixes the problem, but creates another problem for oncoming cars. this is just my .02
Sounds right to me :D

·
6,476 Posts
Nigel,

I understand your thoughts on the projector deal. But here is the thing, there are alot of vehicles that come with HID's from the factory that do NOT use projector lenses. For instance the 99 Acura RL's and TL's, Current Toyota Prius, they have HID's and work perfectly fine, some people think that you can only have HID's in a projector housing to get the benefit, and it just isn't true.

Agree, but those lights, from the design and factory, were meant to have HIDs and were designed with the HID as the standard bulb - hence they work properly. They did not just stick a HID in a housing meant for a halogen.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Agree, but those lights, from the design and factory, were meant to have HIDs and were designed with the HID as the standard bulb - hence they work properly. They did not just stick a HID in a housing meant for a halogen.
the HID is an upgrade option for the prius, the halogen housing is identical to the HID housing FWIW

·
Registered
254 Posts
the HID is an upgrade option for the prius, the halogen housing is identical to the HID housing FWIW
Its funny you just said that and we were all debating the hid kits in non projector beam housings.

So I go to my sisters house and she drives a prius. She needs her oil changed so I go down to the dealer ship with her and ask them if the hids are in the same housing as the non hids. The mechanic said that the housings are exactly the same. Only difference is the lights.

The people who do not want the hid kits and are saying they will not work, SHUT UP and stop posting. We have heard numerous accounts of the hid kits working fine for years on some trucks and putting out good lighting. I get my kit from Retro Solutions next week and cant wait to install them.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Good kit like the retro-solutions kit makes a big difference in how they work.

Very happy with mine and I have none of the mythical problems people say I'm supposed to have.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have had HID's in my truck since 2004 with no issues, no tickets. Since I have gotten the Bi-xenon's installed no more flashing but even when I had the older ones in there I only got flashed a handful of times.

·
6,476 Posts
The people who do not want the hid kits and are saying they will not work, SHUT UP and stop posting. We have heard numerous accounts of the hid kits working fine for years on some trucks and putting out good lighting. I get my kit from Retro Solutions next week and cant wait to install them.
Hey douche, it is a public forum, if you don't want to read it, then move on. Folks are free to post their opinions and concerns - both pro and con.

I have only seen one person post up pics of light patterns from HIDs in a SD. When you install your kit, post up pics to prove your point.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts