Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 4th time Im gonna have to redo my Front diff cover :mad: The first time was with the stock cover and it was beat up. So I replaced it with a chrome one, it leaked, I took it apart and relized not enough silicone....My fault.......Now it leaked for the 3rd time in the same spot, but this time I gobbed it on. WTF Im stumped, Its quite irretating, Im out of Ideas, I cleaned it well, scraped all the old stuff off, sanded with 400 grit then clean with brake cleaner, let the silicone set for 10 min then put it on and let dry overnight..........What gives?????? It doesnt leak anywhere else ???????
I thought that it could be the temp, but it only leaks in one little spot ?

·
Registered
918 Posts
When you take the cover off, grind the chrome off the mounting surface on the cover, silicon will not stick well to chrome. Then go to Lordco and grab " the right stuff " It is the most amazing silicon you will ever use... allow it to dry and it will not leak again....

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you take the cover off, grind the chrome off the mounting surface on the cover, silicon will not stick well to chrome. Then go to Lordco and grab " the right stuff " It is the most amazing silicon you will ever use... allow it to dry and it will not leak again....
I went back to lordco and the guy said I was using the wrong stuff.....He gave me this blue aneabalic stuff said thats what I need.....I havent changed it yet since its Xmas. Hopefully hes right. However, the black RTV silicone is what alot of people recommended. And it only leaks in one area.

·
Go Away I'm Baitin
1,142 Posts
mine did the same thing how are you tightenin the bolts back up that has ALOT to do with how the 2 surfaces mate

get all of the bolts in and tighten 1/4 turn each bolt at a time

·
Registered
918 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts