Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It says use 75w140 for the rear....Does the royal purple have the limited slip additive in it ?....And the front is 75w90....Can you put the same weight (75w140) in both or should I just use the 75w90 for the front ?

And how do i tell if I have LS....When I first go the truck it would do 2 wheel stand stills....Now its a peg legger :shrug::lame:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It says use 75w140 for the rear....Does the royal purple have the limited slip additive in it ?....And the front is 75w90....Can you put the same weight (75w140) in both or should I just use the 75w90 for the front ?

And how do i tell if I have LS....When I first go the truck it would do 2 wheel stand stills....Now its a peg legger :shrug::lame:
You dont need any additives with the royal purple, Use the recamended weight at both ends. There should be a tag on the diff cover that should tell you if its an ls or not.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You dont need any additives with the royal purple, Use the recamended weight at both ends. There should be a tag on the diff cover that should tell you if its an ls or not.
What does the tag say....I think mine says 3L73 so the L is the Limited slip.....either way i think i fried the thing....Like i said when i first got it i did a brake stand and had 2 strips...Now Its only one....

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Just go with the Royal Purple & the correct weight for your truck. It'll be just fine. Go find a dirt road & brake torque your truck then take off & see if there are 1 or 2 ruts. Mine is a limited slip so I'll see the right side digs first then the left side kicks in & presto....2wd! :ford:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
What does the tag say....I think mine says 3L73 so the L is the Limited slip.....either way i think i fried the thing....Like i said when i first got it i did a brake stand and had 2 strips...Now Its only one....
Yup the L is for limited slip but the stock ones are junk the RP may help some it did with mine.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I thought I had an open diff until I changed to the royal purple. It made a huge improvement. I also switched to the 08 diff cover it looks alot cooler than the rusty stocker. And I can do two wheel peels all day long now.
Billy:ford:

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought I had an open diff until I changed to the royal purple. It made a huge improvement. I also switched to the 08 diff cover it looks alot cooler than the rusty stocker. And I can do two wheel peels all day long now.
Im gonna get a Mag Hytec....I dont like the 08....looks to much like the nissan one

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
So switching to RP really helps the LS lock up better? Might be worth it to do that to mine then.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Probably not the fluid itself, but the amount (or lack of) LS additive already in the fluid.
So is the right weight Royal Purple good enough, or is there a good L/S additive?

I like that cover Steve, what did you use to paint it with?

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
I like that cover Steve, what did you use to paint it with?
First I took a dremel and got rid of the casting marks. Then I sanded the ribs until I they were nice and smooth. Then I took aluminum polish to the ribs till they were shiny. Then taped off the top of the ribs. Then painted with black rustolium. Then took the tape off and clear coated with rustoluim clear coat.

It took a long time to do and make it look that good. As soon as I put the bolts in it took some of the paint off. I would just get it and put it on if I had to do it again. But I am also not building a show truck.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Like the part about the dremel and the casting marks. After that, I would have installed, draped everything off, smeared some vaseline on the edgees of the ribs, shot it with the paint, and then wiped off the vaseline.

·
dinnerbooter treasurer
3,567 Posts
Like the part about the dremel and the casting marks. After that, I would have installed, draped everything off, smeared some vaseline on the edgees of the ribs, shot it with the paint, and then wiped off the vaseline.

The tape worked well. I used some 1/8 inch masking tape I got form car quest. It looked good when I got done with it but now it looks rough. But I actually use my truck so I half expected it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts