Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys are running for fluid in your diffs, im looking into changing my fluid soon.

Also, anyone have any input on Howe's Diesel Additive? I normally run PS but I feel like I get ####ty mileage with it and its just a waste of $$$... This Howe's stuff we have at our shop seems to be good stuff, it says you cant "over" do it when adding to the fuel...

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
I run fords syn in the rear because the viscosity range is hard to find but Mobil one has it also the front is easier to find and not as critical since it's not always under load

.. the additive for the ls in the rear I use the ford stuff I add later if I have a chatter issue

I just run deisel kleen Myself

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
amsoil in my rear diff, nothing fancy in the front because same as what zmann said... and i run power service white bottle in the winter and just started running the motorcraft cetane boost from ford for the summer...

·
Intelligent Burro
450 Posts
I add a quart of Walmart two cycle oil in my 38 gal fuel tank. It really does make the engine run quieter. Your results may vary.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Just wondering what you guys are running for fluid in your diffs, im looking into changing my fluid soon.
I have mobil 1 in the front pumpkin and red line 75w140 in the rear.

Also, anyone have any input on Howe's Diesel Additive? I normally run PS but I feel like I get ####ty mileage with it and its just a waste of $$$... This Howe's stuff we have at our shop seems to be good stuff, it says you cant "over" do it when adding to the fuel...[/QUOTE]

I have never run Howes but I have the same problem you do...every time I run PS my mileage hits the skids....same in my cummins vs. the PSD.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think im going to try Howe's, for a big jug is like 6$... Worth a shot

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They gave it to me for 6.99, it was priced wrong.. 12.99 regular price

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Red Line Shock Proof Heavy Duty is what I put in my diffs.

Fuel additive I run these: Stanadyne Cetane improver in blue bottle or Power service Cetane improver grey bottle along with low ash two stroke TWC outboard oil from Walmart.

jrc

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run Schaeffers fuel additive and have even seen the mpg rise a little.

Chris

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Two stroke oil? Seriously. Does it matter what kind - synthetic, etc.... I would like to try anything to get a little less noise - although I know someone will say shouldn't have bought a diesel......

·
Registered
338 Posts
You should have bought a diesel. It is perfectly fine to minimize the noise.

Use the cheap supertech outboard two stroke oil from walmart. It makes a very noticable reduction in injector clatter with the normal 1 oz per gallon ratio. You should notice within 5 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Amsoil in rear differentianl along with ford's additive.
Quick question, not to piss people off, but why try to quiet down your DIESELS, It is what it is a powerful engine that lets everyone know your coming and mean business, if I wanted a truck/car that was nice and quiet I would of bought an Avalanche or something like that. I mean rice makers are trying to make their cars loud and some of us want them nice and quiet?....just my .02

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
I run Mobil 1 in my diffs with 4 oz of the ford additive(in rear), I too run ashless 2 stroke oil in my 38 gal tank but I cant run an oz per gal, anything over about 10-12 oz will start to drop my milage noticably

·
383 Posts
@klos, one of the main reasons we run additives out here(NV) is cause the 7.3l's werent built for ULSD so the oil helps with lubricity because ULSD is super dry compared to the older diesel. Ill do anything to save me from having to buy a $1500 set of injectors, them being quieter is really just a bonus for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
@jbwaldrop88, I hear that & its understandable , I myself run Lucas fuel additive, but I think I'm going to try Ford's next.

·
383 Posts
@jbwaldrop88, I hear that & its understandable , I myself run Lucas fuel additive, but I think I'm going to try Ford's next.
I would agree with the Ford additive, I personally have not really been impressed with Lucas additives in Powerstrokes. I would probably run Stanadyne or Ford additives but the cost adds up after awhile, 2 stroke oil is cheap and works just fine for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Klos,
I don't disagree, I like the sound - But when you have a cab full of people it becomes a shouting match. I don't think noise equals power - the engine is awesome and truck is amazing, but when it makes people sick on long trips because of the noise I need to do something. I didn't give the tire noise a second thought but another 7.3 owner said he believed it was the tires more than anything else. Yahoo, unfortunately they have plenty of life left. Toyo mud tires....

·
383 Posts
along the lines of the OP's question, has anyone added Rev-X to their diffs? Any thoughts on if this would help extend life of fluid or help keep temps down?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts