Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
ok its all ur fault Dan i pulling my trans so i can get my truck drivable again. will probaly be calling diesel site bout couple things i need.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is a pretty good and informative read. Thanks Dan, Bob, and Mark.

·
Project Shamu
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A lot more good info in here too. I probably should've said in the first post, I'm in no way a transmission expert, I know very little when it comes to them, and how they work. I know some basics and what I've read/been told, and i've installed and removed plenty of them, but I myself have never been inside one.

ok its all ur fault Dan i pulling my trans so i can get my truck drivable again. will probaly be calling diesel site bout couple things i need.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.
You are welcome. :grin:

Reactions: Zmann

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
ok its all ur fault Dan i pulling my trans so i can get my truck drivable again. will probably be calling diesel site bout couple things i need.

I really like dealing with them very helpful folks
I run their transmission filter on my 5r among other stuff

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
I really like dealing with them very helpful folks
I run their transmission filter on my 5r among other stuff
well im looking at their cooler line upgrade fittings and their valve body for mine. i planned on upgrading to 3/8 lines. and the delayed engagement should not be a problem most time i wait for a minute or two after firing her up before i try and move anyways will have to call them. working on pulling trans today.

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
well there goes my dollar dan just took my order for my parts so better get this trans out and on the stand.

·
Project Shamu
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
well there goes my dollar dan just took my order for my parts so better get this trans out and on the stand.

Woohoo! What'd you get?

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
Woohoo! What'd you get?
i will be posting more info in my build later don't want to take over this thread. not like that's ever stopped us before thou.?

·
Project Shamu
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well it has almost been 2 years with this trans and I gotta say, I'm very happy still.

It hasn't skipped a beat or never given me 1 thought as to be worried about it. I've put it through some very long grades, and some very hard launches and it keeps chugging on.

The worst the trans has been through so far is I was towing heavy (my toyhauler loaded weighs about 13,000lbs), and going up a steep grade up to Shaver Lake, Ca, I hit the bottom of the hill at about 30 mph and it didn't have enough power to hold 3rd with or without the torque converter locked.
So it was unlocked in 2nd, and screaming the entire time (which theres no worse way to build heat). I got my trans temp up over 260* (you will hear most people say to never go over 220*, some guys get scared at 200*!), and was still going until I started seeing white smoke rolling out from under the truck. After I pulled over I noticed it was because I got the trans so hot, that the trans fluid expanded and pushed out the front vent and was spraying a little on the exhaust. I waited about 5 min with the truck set to high idle, and when the temp got down to 210*, we pulled back onto the grade and crested the top.
Most other grades I can maintain the torque converter locked in 3rd, and trans temp rarely gets over 180* unless they're very long hills, and then I've never seen it up over 200*.

Its been a couple months since that trip, and many other times I've put the truck through its paces, and it hasn't let me down.

Heres to another 2 years! Thank you DieselSite!

·
PSN intsigator
6,846 Posts
When it's time for a trans in one of my 3 trucks, it will be a dieselsite trans, although I'm gonna have a tough time getting over the price tag even though I know it will be worth it.

My mechanic side keeps telling me "I can build that". Pretty sure I can just don't think I want to. It is hard to do it with all the voices in my head arguing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
Yeah if mine fails again it will get a dieselsite trans. don't know how I will pay for it but. its not getting rebuilt by me again.

I was born into Gobernment health care. And will die in Gobernment Health care. God Bless Our Military Men And Women.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
458 Posts
Been catching up on all your threads Lt. Dan... must say I am in awe of your work ethic and fabrication skills..... Just had my 4R100 rebuilt for the second time @190k.
If it goes again I am putting an Allison(A good friend swapped his out for a ZF6) or 08-10 5R110W behind it. (never mind, I just read up on this.....no 5R in my future, unless it is a fummins swap) My engine is still mostly stock, and until I have to crack the Valve covers it will stay that way.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts