Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dieselsite HPOP Reservoir Filter Adapter for 1996-2003 7.3L

I have been toying with the idea of this for a little while now. Actually since I first saw them last year. I played with one a little bit in Bob's booth yesterday. The one I looked at yesterday was a really really nice piece. Is anyone here with an OBS running one? I have been also trying to think of other ways one might be able to incorporate the filter into the front cover like a filter that friction fits internally.

I am trying to run down in my head what all will be needed on my truck to make this work with the Dieselsite piece. I might have to tweak on the bracket that mounts the regulator to lower it. I am also thinking it might be easiest to switch the EBP sensor over to a SD one but fabbing up a new EBP sensor line that is longer is certainly possible and not difficult.

Bob also had a very nice looking new cover for the HPOP bolt which uses an O-ring instead of silicone that he has just made.

From an old thread but good info for here

Tom,

My original prototype was 3/4" tall. However, the same amount of time/ money was involved, so we looked for ways to "expand" it's use to add more bang for the buck. Since 1/2" or 1.5" didn't change the fact that things might need to be be adjusted, the 1.5" let us add the ports. However, 1/2" would be about as thin as we could go. The unit has to be tall enough to accept the o-ring grooving and still have some meat under it or it would break.

We looked into many ways to filter the oil to the HPOP. In addition to the HPRA we are currently working on a version that would divert the oil from the reservoir through a spin on filter and back to the reservoir before the HPOP gets a chance to see it. That may or may not be a good way to do it. We will need to make sure that the oil pressure will not drop etc before we ever move forward on manufacturing that. It would absolutely eliminate the issue shown in the pics above though.

I have also met with a magnetic filter manufacturer for an option that could go in a new oil tank that I am working on. Might just be a one-off for my truck though. Can't seem to duplicate the tank cheaply and it is BUTT UGLY.

The new LPOP that we will have for show and tell at TS will be running in my OBS truck before I leave for TS. We'll finalize testing when I get back. Maybe it will be something I have to offer soon enough as well if it shows any promise or need.

I have a 94-95 version of the HPRA done, but am waiting till I run a new batch of the current models to run those. I can certainly make some "short" versions of the HPRA at the same time. While it won't reduce the cost, it might work better for folks like you. Let me know if this is the case. I have no problem making a few of those. FILTRATION IS KEY TO THE HIGH PRESSURE OIL SYSTEM. Hydraulic systems have a 5 micron filtration requirement to work properly and not wear. Why should our HPOP system be any different.

Bob
The oil tank idea is interesting and the drop in filter to go inside the tank is even more so. How about a drop in filter to go in the front cover under the reservoir on the OBS trucks ? Very easy to install and would help protect the stuff down stream of the reservoir

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
How tall can these tanks be before interference with the hood?

As far as a filter goes, I use a FS2500 bypass setup to clean up all of the oil???

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
If your getting any debris up in the reservoir, enough to cause pump damage, your already in trouble....... Besides, the IPR would let you know first, when it fails.

TomS said:
Bob also had a very nice looking new cover for the HPOP bolt which uses an O-ring instead of silicone that he has just made.
The same thing Jody @ DPTuner has been selling for about a year now? :doh:

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the oil right at start up where it is straight out of the pan unfiltered or the little but of whatever that finds it's way loose is more the deal with this as a last line of defense for the IPR and the injectors over that that the oil is "dirty". I assume there was a good reason these were added in the later trucks. Even though I am very carefull about being very clean when working on the truck and such to avoid introducing contamination I am still interested in this idea. Are you guys thinking this or my idea of an internal filter is not important?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Tom, I would agree it is very desirable.

Every reservoir I've pulled off that had the filter screen o-ring seal had metal shavings down in it. The one truck had little metal slivers in it.

If there was a way to run it with the Gen3, I would be in line for one.

Dave

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Like I said, if your getting metal up there, the injectors are the least of your problems...... And the IPR will let you know long before you have an injector issue. Do any of you know how small the debris can be to malfunction the IPR? Do any of you know what micron the filter screen can catch?

I think old man dave has the best cure for future concerns.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am using this spacer with the stealth dual pumps. Not using the filter screen, since the shop that did my engine swap installed the screen and cracked the front cover for me and charged me to fix their screw-up. This piece fits nice. They lengthened the exhaust tube with compression fittings and more tubing. It also made connecting the oil line easier, made it a little higher.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, if your getting metal up there, the injectors are the least of your problems...... And the IPR will let you know long before you have an injector issue. Do any of you know how small the debris can be to malfunction the IPR? Do any of you know what micron the filter screen can catch?

I think old man dave has the best cure for future concerns.
Joey I am aware that the IPR has some very small holes in it. That screen is also pretty fine too though. I have no idea on the micron size though. I do know often enough you see guys with IPR issues though. I personally have not had one. Why do you think IH changed the design on the later trucks to add it? My thought is that they felt they needed some protection to prevent debris from getting past that point even if it not a common issue. I am sure a change like that in all reality costs a chunk of cash and is not something that was done on a whim. I was hunting around but could not find a good picture of the 6.0 screen other then in the attached PDF which shows a failed one. The 6.0 screen is really big. I also found this interesting in that document.

The High Pressure Oil Pump Filtration Screen
Review of Improvements and Features of the Bullet Proof 6.0 Kit | Neal
Technologies, Inc
The HPOP Filter Screen is an important element of the oiling system on the Ford Power
Stroke 6.0L diesel engine. This engine utilizes two connected - but different - oiling
systems: the low pressure and high pressure oil systems. The low pressure is mostly
concerned with ‘traditional’ engine oiling duties that include the main bearings, cam
shaft bearings, pistons and the like. The high pressure system is mostly concentrated on
the diesel fuel injectors. This critical pump is protected from debris within the oil by
both the engine oil filter AND a secondary level of protection: the HPOP filter screen.
This screen is located directly below the stock Ford engine oil cooler. Upon inspection,
most of these plastic/nylon mesh screens are torn (see Figure 4) allowing debris from
the engine’s oil to enter into the HPOP. Needless to say, replacing the nylon-mesh
screen is a top priority – one that is addressed by the Bullet Proof Oil Kit with a stainlesssteel

The oil filter filtration system also has several problems. According to the OE oil filter
marketing information, the 6.0L Power Stroke engine can demand up to 18 ½ gallons of
oil a minute. The filter specifications for engine oil filter shows it flows less than half of
that amount. When the volume of oil needed exceeds the filters capacity, the filter
bypass valve opens. This allows unfiltered oil to join the filtered oil bound for the
lubrication and injection oil circuits
mesh.
I hope that a few more people will chime in on this subject and make for a fun discussion.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Tom, I have found its great insurance when your out in the sticks, in January, changin your IPR because its clogged. I sent three IPRs back to Bob for rebuild before I upgraded. I believe for the average owner with many miles it can't hurt.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Joey I am aware that the IPR has some very small holes in it. That screen is also pretty fine too though. I have no idea on the micron size though. I do know often enough you see guys with IPR issues though. I personally have not had one. Why do you think IH changed the design on the later trucks to add it? My thought is that they felt they needed some protection to prevent debris from getting past that point even if it not a common issue. I am sure a change like that in all reality costs a chunk of cash and is not something that was done on a whim. I was hunting around but could not find a good picture of the 6.0 screen other then in the attached PDF which shows a failed one. The 6.0 screen is really big. I also found this interesting in that document.
Tom, it's a neat idea, but like I said, if you have any debris getting up there, you have bigger problems. I'll say for someone that does not maintain there engine/oil, it maybe a good thing to have. But, old man dave has the better idea, because how often does one pull the reservoir to inspect the screen anyway. The 6.0 is another story, as they have an actual screen on the IPR valve to protect it from debris, where as we only have an edge filter. Not sure why Ford went that route, nor do I understand why they went to PMRs....:doh:.

Eitherway, if you like it, buy it!:D

Here is the little cover mentioned above that Jody sells:
http://www.dp-tuner.com/index.php?p=product&id=105&parent=0

And this one has the port for an oil dump:

http://www.dp-tuner.com/index.php?p=product&id=106&parent=0

He also offers a cool little stainless bracket to hold the Exhaust Pressure Sensor on the bottom of that page.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I have one, you can never filter HPOP oil enough :) made my own spacer for BP sensor.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tom, I would agree it is very desirable.

Every reservoir I've pulled off that had the filter screen o-ring seal had metal shavings down in it. The one truck had little metal slivers in it.

If there was a way to run it with the Gen3, I would be in line for one.

Dave
Anyone else with similar experience to Dave's?

Joey thanks for your thoughts on this I appreciate it.

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
I have pulled a few STOCK SD's down and found a good layer of crap in the screen.

I believe this is a must have item for anyone with a dual pump setup.

NO MORE LEAKS!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not sure why Ford went that route.

And you continue to tell people why they don't need my products. Why don't you talk about your products and their benefits instead of spending so much time to attempt to discredit someone elses?

For everyone who is interested. The Powerstroke LPOP feeds the reservoir with unfiltered oil from the pan everytime you start the truck until the time that the oil pressure comes up and closes the check valve. Until that point, small pieces of silicon from gaskets, etc can and will find their way to the IPR and cause issues. That's why Ford integrated the filter into the front cover.

On the 6.0L, they installed a filter before the pump AND installed a screen on the end of the IPR. A lot of effort was done to prevent the NORMAL amount of debris in oil from clogging up an IPR. Since we do understand why Ford added the screen, we built a way to install it in the earlier trucks.

As far as the EBV tube goes, the easiest way to extend it is the buy a 5/16" male JIC x 1/8" fpt fitting and screw the sensor directly into the tube.

Joey, we've had the covers for a long time and Jody and I talked about it. I told him the only thing we didn't do was add the "dump port" as his "fix" was to fix hot oil issues because the dual pumps returning oil into the intake of the pump causing even hotter oil.

We just got tired of re-sealing the front cover. Kind of a no-brainer. We just showed them and a few other items at TS for the 1st time.

Bob

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have pulled a few STOCK SD's down and found a good layer of crap in the screen.

I believe this is a must have item for anyone with a dual pump setup.

NO MORE LEAKS!
Thanks Dave was the if you happen remember was the stuff caught in the filter metal or some kinda soft stuff? Me initial guess is going to be small soft stuff like rubber and gasket materials.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
And you continue to tell people why they don't need my products. Why don't you talk about your products and their benefits instead of spending so much time to attempt to discredit someone elses?

For everyone who is interested. The Powerstroke LPOP feeds the reservoir with unfiltered oil from the pan everytime you start the truck until the time that the oil pressure comes up and closes the check valve. Until that point, small pieces of silicon from gaskets, etc can and will find their way to the IPR and cause issues. That's why Ford integrated the filter into the front cover.

On the 6.0L, they installed a filter before the pump AND installed a screen on the end of the IPR. A lot of effort was done to prevent the NORMAL amount of debris in oil from clogging up an IPR. Since we do understand why Ford added the screen, we built a way to install it in the earlier trucks.

As far as the EBV tube goes, the easiest way to extend it is the buy a 5/16" male JIC x 1/8" fpt fitting and screw the sensor directly into the tube.

Joey, we've had the covers for a long time and Jody and I talked about it. I told him the only thing we didn't do was add the "dump port" as his "fix" was to fix hot oil issues because the dual pumps returning oil into the intake of the pump causing even hotter oil.

We just got tired of re-sealing the front cover. Kind of a no-brainer. We just showed them and a few other items at TS for the 1st time.

Bob
Funny Bob, that's not the story Jody gave me on the covers. It was more like, you were interested in the cool cover when you watched him do a pump install, but I don't care about that. Nice idea, but it's not yours.

As for the oil dump for my system, it's completely up to the customer. Some dump into the timing cover and some send it to the reservoir to add volume. Injector sizes, oil requirements, and the application of what the truck is used for will be the determining factor. And of course, OIL TEMPATURE!

The original discussion about your adapter plate was some BS sales tactic about helping the dual pump kits from cavitating. Total horse crap. That theory was disproved on another diesel forum. Glad to see it moved away from that.

How long does it take to build pressure and close the checkball? I have had a few engines/reservoirs apart as well and never found any debris. Maybe the engines I work on have been properly maintained?

My opinion on oil filtration, is if your not satisfied with stock, buy an aftermarket kit that filters all the oil all the time, as old man dave mentioned above to a micron level that far surpasses the stock oil filter.

Like I said above:
TerminatorEngineering said:
Satisfied?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Thanks Dave was the if you happen remember was the stuff caught in the filter metal or some kinda soft stuff? Me initial guess is going to be small soft stuff like rubber and gasket materials.
I would say mostly soft material, with a few flakes mixed in. I wish I had a better way to describe the material, either way it probably would not be the best thing to have in your injectors.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Well this is the third thread in not so many weeks that I see TE bashing on a vendor. Actually the same vendor, a competitor, go figure. I wonder why this particular person has been allowed to make these personal attacks time and again and not have to suffer the consequences that anyone else would have to long before now?????? This post had nothign to do with who has what from whom either. This is an observation of things that are against the rules being done and the rules not being enforced.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well this is the third thread in not so many weeks that I see TE bashing on a vendor. Actually the same vendor, a competitor, go figure. I wonder why this particular person has been allowed to make these personal attacks time and again and not have to suffer the consequences that anyone else would have to long before now?????? This post had nothign to do with who has what from whom either. This is an observation of things that are against the rules being done and the rules not being enforced.
That is the choice we have as consumers on who we believe. I don't know Joey, but Bob has NEVER steered me wrong and has ALWAYS gone the extra mile. He has personally flew to NJ to help install Dieselsite products at HIS EXPENSE!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts