Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All!

I do not find recent threads on rebuilding or replacing transmissions, so I am posting this separate from my Project build thread.

I have a new-to-me 2000 F350 4x4 4R100 with almost 300,000 miles. (Not to confuse with my 1999 F350 with the manual transmission I already rebuilt.)

First thing I did was send in oil for analysis. Engine looked as expected but the transmission showed high levels of wear. It could have been that the fluid had not been changed as it should have. However, that made it look like a good place to start.

We have Sharp's Transmssion in Tucson, but they wanted $3800-$4000. At a suggestion from a buddy (thanks @heavydoc ), I should spend another thou and look at the DieselSite Legendary transmission.

First, those folks are great to deal with! I was calling and asking a bazillion questions - what, why, recommendations, everything! I am not a competitor but I do intend to build this 00 Pig to tow my travel trailer all over the US for my retirement. Therefore, I learned about the Legendary "Tow Monster".

First, they recommended a new flex plate, given the miles on the Pig. I asked about their billet flexplate. I was told, "that is probably overkill for your needs". At $500 for the billet, I was happy to hear that. Then . . . I couldn't find a stock one. I searched and searched. @1970something found one for me, but after my infamous impatience got the better of me and I had purchased the billet flexplate. :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

My bottom line is that I want to build reliable and long lived. I don't want to spend the rest of my life mechanic'g on my trucks. DieselSite says, "Well, maybe you should look at our Legendary with the Hercules torque converter."

Heee . . . oh my! Hercules and Legendary. It becomes the Hercules Legendary 4R100.

I actually just went with the Legendary plus Torque Converter. I didn't HAVE to go for the 1000 horsepower version . . . . They offer a 500 horsepower version . . .
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Document

. . . Yeah, right. I got the Hercules.

There is a long wait to get your transmission. Supply chain and all that. However, I could wait.

So exciting! My transmission arrived!!!! Boy, the case was beat up. I notified DieselSite so they could tell the shipper.

Sadly, it wasn't just the case. I found a dent on the pan wear it looked like the forklift fork had gone through the case into the pan. Then I noticed the shifter was bent. Then . . . . The $%^&*()_ shipper had DROPPED the tranny in transit, and from the marks, I'd say the tranny popped out of the case and smashed on a concrete floor!

I tried so hard to want this transmission, as I had waited so long. Unfortunately, it just wasn't right. I installed it and it shifted really hard. Dieselsite was just great. Thanks to all you folks for working with me. I shipped my truck's transmission and their transmission back to them. Dieselsite rebuilt my transmission, and now I have it back and it is in the truck at 295,000 miles.

My transmission shifted hard at first, but it needs a 200 mile break-in. I have about 100 miles on it. If you drive normally, it shifts smoothly with that satisfying "thump" of a quick shift. It still shifts hard on a heavy acceleration, especially when the Hercules Torque Converter shifts AND locks. That IS its job, after all.

I am very pleased with this transmission and believe it will mate quite nicely with the engine I will build in the next year or so. I will keep this thread updated as the transmission goes through oil analysis and more miles.

I hope there are other owners who will chime in!

Reactions: heavydoc

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, all!

It's April 6th and I have 186 miles on the Legendary. I admit it; I am a fan!

The transmission has pretty much smoothed out to almost stock. If you are stomping on, it kicks like the performance Pig it is.

In another 15 or so miles, I will hook it up to my 9k travel trailer and see how it does pulling the grade on AZ IH 10 from SR 90 to Wilcox. That's through Texas canyon. The long-haul guys will know what that means. ;)

Reactions: Zmann and heavydoc

·
Administrator
33,260 Posts
they used to be vendor on here but interacting with the public can be bad for business when you get a few idiots
after you

I always have an easy time dealing with them on the phone , their products have treated me well also

thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Dieselsite Adrenalin HPOP and their Transmission Filters. They make good stuff.

Reactions: Zmann

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi, all!

My truck threw codes and thanks to Mark @Mark Kovalsky , I troubleshot the wire harness to find one broken wire on the transmission range control and something iffy on the input transmission speed sensor.

I replaced the pigtails on both and the transmission is just awesome.

She is shifting down-right gentle now . . . unless you stomp on it, and then does bump! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts