Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in North Dakota the other day. i was get fuel and at the pump there was diesel #2, diesel #1, blend diesel and premium whats the difference?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Around here #1 is dyed red for off road use only and #2 is on road.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
It is refereed to as off road(home heating oil). And we also have #2(on road)

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is strictly for like farm/construction equipment. I have heard that if you get busted with it in your truck it is like a $5,000 fine the first and $10,000 the second time. I think it was something like that, just what I have heard.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
It is strictly for like farm/construction equipment. I have heard that if you get busted with it in your truck it is like a $5,000 fine the first and $10,000 the second time. I think it was something like that, just what I have heard.
There is no road tax on "off road" fuel. That is why is it 0.20-0.30 cheaper.

If caught there is a fine based off of how many gallons you used for the year. Doesnt matter if you only used 5 gallons of off road, they base it off the whole year

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
I have heard in my area it is $5000-$10,000 a gallon fine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I know that is why it is cheaper. Like I said, that is just what I had heard, didn't know it was on how many gallons.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
dont be ignorant yall. Brad is right. Its off road round here its .20-.40 cent cheaper cause no road tax. OFF ROAD USE ONLY.. RED DYE>>>.. There is no way in hell the govt is going to hit you for 10k its more like 500 or less trust me I know people who have been busted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that was in North Dakota at the pump. diesel #2 was 3.88 a gal, diesel #1 was 4.19 a gal, blend diesel was 4.04 a gal and premium was 3.88 a gal. in MN where im at there is only one diesel at the pump.

·
Registered
295 Posts
They shut a whole concrete company in Baltimore down when they caught them with red fuel in their tanks...

Makes me wonder if my burgundy AFT fuel will get me in that much trouble. Its definitely not the red of dyed off-road fuel

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Yes the atf will get you in trouble also. A coworkers cousin got nailed with used atf. $2000 fine. $1000 to the state/patrol. and $1000 to the IRS for tax evasion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah but farm or dyed or off-road only diesel is still #2 diesel.......... #1 is blended with I'm guessing kerosene to limit gelling........... #2 is ultra low sulfur diesel only. Least it is where I'm from

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
They shut a whole concrete company in Baltimore down when they caught them with red fuel in their tanks...

Makes me wonder if my burgundy AFT fuel will get me in that much trouble. Its definitely not the red of dyed off-road fuel
no you have nothing to worry about. they dont just look and say "hey you have red fuel im gonna fine you." they test and see if its positive for the dye thats in the off-road fuel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
no you have nothing to worry about. they dont just look and say "hey you have red fuel im gonna fine you." they test and see if its positive for the dye thats in the off-road fuel.
A friend of mine is a rookie MD state trooper and hes at the scales. He asked about it for me and his boss said they don't usually handle that the comptroller does, but they didn't see where they would want to mess with me they would be more interested in how it works. But I have never heard of a pickup being tested in this area.

·
Dont know what I want
507 Posts
They aint gonna mess with light duty trucks. Only worry bout it if you are using it in a 18 wheeler. Its too much trouble and not worth a cops time to fine us or anything under a 5 ton truck.

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
Ok so when I lived in montan they had #2, #1, belnd #1&2 and off road or red dye diesel. We all know what #2 is so I dont have to tell you that.

#1 is road taxed and is best for cold weather and its closer to kerosene but still is diesel
bended is exactly that, #1 & #2 blended for use on road
and red dye we all know is non-taxed #2

Hope this answers everyones questions.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Ok so when I lived in montan they had #2, #1, belnd #1&2 and off road or red dye diesel. We all know what #2 is so I dont have to tell you that.

#1 is road taxed and is best for cold weather and its closer to kerosene but still is diesel
bended is exactly that, #1 & #2 blended for use on road
and red dye we all know is non-taxed #2

Hope this answers everyones questions.
Thanks for keeping on track

1 - 20 of 35 Posts