Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one of these turbo wheels do you recommend and why? They each seem to do about the same, but in a slightly different way.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you suggesting I get the housing ported as well?

·
Registered
633 Posts
No. Riff raff went the extra mile to design a wheel for guys that already purchased a ported housing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a good point. But since I do not have a ported housing, (not yet anyway), I will be using the wheel for a stock housing. Are there any differences between those 2 wheels?

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is a question i would love to see hard data on. I have run a ww2 (its for sale ;-)) but not Clays wheel. That said though i have never had a bad product from riff raff and am sure Clays wheel is an equally great product.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I'm sure they are both great products. And the descriptions of both pretty much claim the same thing. However, they aren't just a re-branded copy, especially since the WW2 is a 5/5 design and the RiffRaff is a 6/6. I guess some side by side data would be great, but probably non existent.

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
Sooner or later, someone will have to do some back to back dyno comparisons. I'd be interested to know the sound difference between the two as well. The WW2 on my stock turbo had a nice whistle but the one on my 38r is VERY quiet.
And IMO, ported compressor housings will be a thing of the past given the cost versus these billet wheels. Both curing surge on their own, but actually getting a performance gain from the wheel.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Oh I'm sure they are both great products. And the descriptions of both pretty much claim the same thing. However, they aren't just a re-branded copy, especially since the WW2 is a 5/5 design and the RiffRaff is a 6/6. I guess some side by side data would be great, but probably non existent.
No... They come from different lines and completely different ideas...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, that's what I was trying to say there, might have worded it a little confusing. Both separately engineered products, completely different methods, yet they both accomplish pretty much the same goal right? lower EGTs and a slight bump in power.

Any idea on noise? which one whistles more, more in cab noise, more exhaust noise?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
There was a dyno both had gains over stock. About 14-20 hp
They were within 4 hp. Of each other.
for turbos without an ats housing i like dieselsite.
for ats housings rr has a special one. There is also another company
barder turbo that has yet another design.
he even offers a diy d66 package for e99 and 360 bearing rebuild kits for all turbos.

Dyno proven had a great deal with tunes and thewheel in the fall.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so basically it looks to me like it really doesnt matter for a stock housing.

·
Livin in the flatlands.
525 Posts
Sooner or later, someone will have to do some back to back dyno comparisons. I'd be interested to know the sound difference between the two as well. The WW2 on my stock turbo had a nice whistle but the one on my 38r is VERY quiet.
And IMO, ported compressor housings will be a thing of the past given the cost versus these billet wheels. Both curing surge on their own, but actually getting a performance gain from the wheel.
Sorry to hijack, but is your 38R with ww2 quieter than your stock turbo with ww2 was?
I went with a 38R, and I'm not sure I'm going to like the constant whistle when towing...

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but is your 38R with ww2 quieter than your stock turbo with ww2 was?
I went with a 38R, and I'm not sure I'm going to like the constant whistle when towing...
Yes, it is as quiet as the stock turbo with a stock wheel. I do run mine with an AIS intake, but the 38r WW2 combo is very quiet. Spools super fast though!!

·
Livin in the flatlands.
525 Posts
Yes, it is as quiet as the stock turbo with a stock wheel. I do run mine with an AIS intake, but the 38r WW2 combo is very quiet. Spools super fast though!!
Cool, probably be purchasing one of them come camping season then...
Thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I put a ww2 in mine and whistle out of the exhaust i beleive might actually be quieter than with the stock wheel but in the cab you definitely hear the ww2 spool louder. i have a stock turbo. i gained about 6 pounds of boost at wot but i also did a turbo rebuild and bellowed up pipes when i did the wheel so no telling what made the difference. turbo lag is almost non existent now with the ww2. cruising at highway speed about 70 at 2k rpm i make around 6-8 pounds of boost now compared to about 4 before. I rarely look at my boost gauge but i know when i get on it and happen to look over is well over 20 in a split second

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've run both the WW2 and the Riffraff billet wheel. Which one is better really depends on your setup.

The WW2 has more whistle if thats what you're after.

For a stock turbo, the Riffraff wheel is the way to go.

For a van turbo, the WW2 is the way to go.

The Riffraff wheel has a stronger top end to it. Since the stock .84 housing was intended for quicker spooling, the top end on the Riffraff wheel performs better. With the 1.15 housing of the van turbo, it already has a strong top end and needs the push down low. The WW2 performs better with that setup.

What if you're running a 1.0 housing? Don't know, haven't tried either in that combo. I have done both wheels in both a stock turbo and a van turbo.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats some good info, thanks

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
I'd love to see some back to back dyno testing of all the new billet wheels that are popping up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.