Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as some of you know i am in the DPC this year, so i began to tear down the truck, got the heads off to do head studs and found that my heads are cracked at the exhaust seats. so my question is

Who has had them? How bad? Were the heads reusable? Any hot coolant temps? drag racing? sled pulling? how many miles? How many miles tuned? What tunes are you running?

My heads are cracked at the valve seats, not sure if the heads are going to be runable, then are going to be sent off thursday to have pressured up and checked out, if they are good then they are getting hardened valve seats, and a valve job :eek:

Other mods are head studs, valve springs, elites fuel pump, pushrods, elite trans with a looser stall converter, elites wastegate, and im going to run my single set up with a 76mm ball bearing :D

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
Re: Cracked cylinder heads?

no snikey's???? damn..huge egt's are too blame here. most likely fuel only passes did this. hopefully they are salvageable. maybe that has something to do with the way the turbo was working??

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

no snikey's???? damn..huge egt's are too blame here. most likely fuel only passes did this. hopefully they are salvageable. maybe that has something to do with the way the turbo was working??
Hard to say, the valves are HAMMERED so i think the seats have been cracked for awhile... like pre-single turbo days, but its hard to say, high egts from the single could have caused it i honestly do not have an answer for that. I do know that PSDtrav had cracked heads in the same fashion as well, only way we found out was from pulling the heads...

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

On another note i did talk to Tadd today, and he said that the valve seats are induction hardened, which isnt that great to begin with, couple that with a tuner and higher egts, and the they crack. He said that after you have a hardened valve seat installed, and a valve job done, the heads should be good to go, given that the head is repairable.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My head was cracked from my truck running away. No telling how high my EGT's got when that happened though.
My guess is it happened WAY before that. I would have liked to see the valves when they came out.

·
<<< just like that......
810 Posts

Damn bro, that sucks. Let me know if they are fubar'd, I'll do some poking around...

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts

Thought about having them cut for fire rings while it's apart? We've got the machining specs done and the gaskets/rings in stock. Cut a set of heads two weeks ago, should work perfect.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts

O chit never good ope u can salvage the heads.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thought about having them cut for fire rings while it's apart? We've got the machining specs done and the gaskets/rings in stock. Cut a set of heads two weeks ago, should work perfect.
I have thought about it, guess i need to see if they are even usable at this point before i go forward.

What Tunes were you running, and high did your EGT`s get?
Spartans tuning, untill just a couple weeks ago, i have seen as much as 1700 degrees before.

·
Fierro Racing
1,509 Posts

I have thought about it, guess i need to see if they are even usable at this point before i go forward.

Spartans tuning, untill just a couple weeks ago, i have seen as much as 1700 degrees before.
ouch man hope you get it fixed up soon. good luck

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

The exhaust seat cracking has been a very common problem on the 6.0. So I don't see why it wouldn't be on the 6.4. Send the heads to Hypermax and have them put in the good seats. That will solve all your future issues.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The exhaust seat cracking has been a very common problem on the 6.0. So I don't see why it wouldn't be on the 6.4. Send the heads to Hypermax and have them put in the good seats. That will solve all your future issues.
The guy that i talked to said the EXACT same thing, He said almost every 6.0 head he see's is cracked, and more and more 6.4 heads are cracked, before i even told him what was going on he asked if the seats were cracked, so this guy knows whats going on, he said more than likely my heads are fixable, but he wont know till he gets them, The heads will be down there tomorrow. Worst part is its really putting a damper in my schedule for the DPC, only gives me a week of driving to make sure everything is worked out. FML

·
Built not Bought
529 Posts

Dosnt Elite run a set of heads for the 6.4? If so anyone runnin with em and what kinda results there seeing?

·
Registered
521 Posts

I wonder if stock ones crack too? Is it just temperature or tuning and temp? Maybe because of super high back pressure? Or just bad design?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

I didnt expect mine to crack, but they were surely cracked. Hope we are a rarity but not looking that way.

1,052 Posts

Every 6.4 head we have taken off has had cracks. It is very common. The question is how bad they are cracked and where the cracks are coming from and going to? That will determine whether they are usable or not. Travis' heads were cracked from the seat to the glow plug, thats why they were no good.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts