Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been around gas engines for a few years, but diesels are pretty new to me. I have an early '99 7.3 that occasionally has a choppy idle on cold starts. It seems to happen more often the colder the weather, and lasts only a few seconds before smoothing out. It is enough to shake the truck, but has never triggered a CEL. The truck seems to run fine, have sufficient power and builds boost without issue. I have also recently noticed a small oil leak coming from the back of the motor. It leaves a 2"-3" puddle on the garage floor after sitting a week or so.

I have done some reading here but am still not sure what to check or what might be the culprit. I have read a little about IPR and ICP issues and others that have used Rev-X additive with good success. I figure once I can determine just what to fix/replace, I can replace the o-rings on the HPOP lines and where else to see if that cures my oil leak.

So.. any suggestions on where to start? Thanks!

Thomas

·
Registered
920 Posts
It sounds like you have a case of the romps. Normal depending on the grade and type of oil you are using. I shifted to 5-40W synthetic and have no romp issues.

On the leak, look in the V really well, if it is clean in front but oil down the back of the engine then I would say Turbo pedestal o-rings are shot. If the oil is running front to back then HPOP. The Pedestal leak is common. This place will have the o-rings.

http://www.dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=18&cat=8&group=6

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
:whs: my truck is doing the same as the original poster on the oil leak, I haven't torn it apart yet but I thinking it has to be turbo pedestol o-rings shot, back of V is wet with oil! Need to get it fixed!

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Sounds like the romps, like mentioned above, try a synthetic 5w-40 oil, that will smooth out your truck on those cold mornings.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh... the romps! That explains what I am experiencing exactly! I am running Rotella T 15w40 currently. I will have to try a lighter weight oil next change. I was also thinking of adding the HPOP X-over mod.

Is there any additives that are worth using?

I will have to dig into my oil leak a little further, but now know what to look for.

Thanks for the answers! I am learning more and more.

Thomas

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Nothing in the crank case but oil. How long since the last oil change. Mine usually starts doing it right before oil change time. Does it go away if you barely touch the throttle?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1500 or so miles since the last oil change. It didn't do it today at all. Yeah, if I bump the throttle up a bit it clears right up.

Thomas

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Just kinda the way it works, especially on cool mornings. I switched from Rotella to Valvoline and have not had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts