Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Dave, Has there been any discussion of conversions of diesels to natural gas? Obviously the cost of fuel issue is very positive. There are conversions available for $7000 to $10000. This maybe the way to go in the future. Thanks for you comments......Ghyslain

·
1,084 Posts
I've looked into it for my gas car - a 96 Impala SS. there are three CNG stations in the area and they charge about half what gasoline costs.

I drive a lot, but $7,000 to 10,000 for half price fuel is a tough sell.

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
If your talking a complete conversion then you better have alot of room for fuel tanks. Even NG injection the tank will take up alot of room.

dave the ng is only half price? it should be alot lower then that. LP is half price and ng is cheaper yet.

·
1,084 Posts
There are three commercial CNG stations in the Naptown area. Two sell CNG around $0.95/gal (gasoline equivalent). One sells it for $2.35/gal equivalent. both are bargains but i think the difference is they are not currently taxed.

You think government will miss out on an opportunity to squeeze a tax out of you?

I this part of the country a lot of properties have "played-out" gas wells from a century ago. Commerically "played out" wells might produce enough to run your house and a vehicle or two. They make small gas refining units on a flatbed trailer.

The "refinery" removes the carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide from the natural gas and some also separate out the propane and butane. Also you'll need 3,600 psig tanks and a big compressor that looks (and costs) like a scuba compressor on steroids.

As always, no free lunch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Dave, Has there been any discussion of conversions of diesels to natural gas? Obviously the cost of fuel issue is very positive. There are conversions available for $7000 to $10000. This maybe the way to go in the future. Thanks for you comments......Ghyslain
Hey man . Can you please not call him Dave next time. He is Mr. Whitmer to you. But to answer your question :Yeah...CNG will be the way of the future...most likely near future (good news) , But You and me will NOT gain anything or save any money from it. I know...You re sorry to hear that.
Im gonna pray for you (never have before, but I ll do it for you this time)and lower gas prices...cause if this keeps going I know you gonna loose it.
We can not afford that....

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You can get a cng conversion kit and go for natural gas. By the way it is a smart idea. Save money and save environment.
Please elaborate on the "CNG Kit" and show how smart it is. Save the environment, like by increasing hydraulic fracking, taking millions of gallons of water out of the water cycle to product CNG? Please explain what you mean by saving money and environment....

jrc

·
Administrator
32,930 Posts
That and what on that link would work for converting a diesel ?

the 7-10k is what I have seen also for a Diesel - NG conversion
and IIRC it has to have the compression ratio lowered

seems better to convert a Gasser ?

·
1,084 Posts
My problem about CNG is that you have to make your diesel a "dual-fuel" engine. It starts as a diesel then it "fumigates natural gas into the air intake, thus putting more fuel in the cylinder. the diesel injector works at a lower input rate merely to "blow-torch" the low cetane (high octane) natural gas into combustion.

This means you have a duplex "throttle" control. This gives ol' Murphy another opportunity.

CNG works fine in spark-ignition engines. That high octane allows you to jack up compression and spark advance for better efficiency.

Diesel? Jury is still out in my mind.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Did anyone see the CNG injected diesel several years back in DPM? I am not sure exactly how the guy did it, it was several years ago that the article was in the magazine. But he was using CNG and injecting it, I suppose some what like a propane. I am not sure of the mpg either, but I remember it was a crazy amount of mpg. IIRC, it was a dually and he was getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 50mpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
ive done some dual fuel stuff at work (mostly propane due to tank size ) on several gasoiline pickups and a couple diesel class 7&8 trucks. On the gas engines i love it but not sold on the diesel trucks just yet if not tuned perfectally they sound horrible like an abnormal spark nock which cant be good for the engine

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
CNG is used here on some transit buses. Has a lower flash point and a lower btu content so less fuel mileage. Not a good combo with diesels IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Jack Ken
215 Posts
Dual fueling a diesel is alot better of an idea then converting it. When converting it like said the compression has to be lowered and you will lose alot of power and mpg. When dual fueling or fummigating youll pick up mileage and power. And yes it can be dangurous if not controlled corectlly, and thats the key to it, doing it right. Ive sold and installed alot of diesel/lpg systems and Ive never had one ruin an engine its all in tuning it in and not trying to make gobs more power with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The makers & sellers of dual fuel (aka sequential fuel) conversion kits claim their products will raise the MPGs close to 40 or so on a ¾ T truck assuming it gets an average 16 mpg (like an F250…………if baby it when driven).
Is that true ? IDK.
30-32 mpg yes, its been proven by people I know well.
So is it time to switch? Id say if you do, you re making a big mistake.
The 32 mpg is on COMBINED fuel (diesel + CNG). So, 16 mpg diesel and 16 mpg CNG…………roughly. That translates to 50% diesel and 50% CNG.
Now the 50/50 vehicle configuration is a bad idea (way too much CNG)……..but then again its not their truck. I believe even at 60/40 you re pushing it…………why?
Because these fuels are two different animals. Your throttle response will be acting erratically even with a step promoter (set to medium).
Its just like you trying to drink tea, at the same time from two different cups………one with iced tea and the other with hot tea. You can do it, but not without making faces.
Your fuel sensors, injectors, pump or something will give up soon.
Ignoring these facts will cost you big bucks.
If you don’t believe that…………..thats fine. We go back to the 50/50 config.
Remember you re burning these fuels simultaneously. So lets do the math here: Say….. diesel is $4/gal and CNG is $2/gal in SO Cal (compressed/gallon equivalent). That is $6/gal combined.
On a side note: price of CNG fluctuates a lot from pump to pump even within a town (has not been regulated or taxed yet…………………and as soon as they see you re doing well, they re gonna want their cut).
So for you to get 32 mpg @ $6/gal it will cost you ~19 c/mile on combined fuel.
16 mpg @ $4/gal comes to 25 c/mile on diesel only. Thats a savings of 6 c/mile.
IDK about you, but I put ~ 25K mls a year in my truck. That’s $2,250 in savings per year.
If I installed the system myself, it will cost me $6,500 . Conversion kit + four 8 gal tanks (type II).
One……….or even two tanks wont take you far on CNG.
The lesson I ve learned is: better mpg, the up-front costs are high & with wide variations, it’s a recipe for a disaster to the fuel system, inconvenience of refueling (esp on long trips), CNG tanks take a lotta room.
I would say if you are looking for economy, sacrificing power (cant have them both at same time) & save money in the long run while still being reliable your scenario should be like this:
1. Go for a full conversion.
2. Have a large fleet of min 100 trucks (to get the lowest price on parts & installation).
3. Keep every truck for a min of 500K miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts