Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At an offsite facility my work has a dyno that we run test vehicles on for ASTM tests....about once a month the powers to be at work let us run our own vehicles on the dyno for fun...I've been challenged by to of my other co-workers to a diesel showdown....I'm up against a 07 Duramax with a 4" turbo back exhaust and tune, and a 07 Cummins with basicly the same mods...my truck an 05' 6.0 has a 4" turbo back exhaust, AFE filter, banjo bolt and pressure regulator mod and a canned tune from superchips....should be pretty close...BUT...I'm running 35x12.50 20" wheels and tires and these guys are running stock wheels and tires...that might have just killed my chances...what do you guys think ?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
what tunes on the d-max and cummins?

on the d-max if its efi live and they know how to use then I would say they will prolly come out on top....but thats if the cummins is not using a smarty.....but what do I know lol

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
If you think 75-120 hp lower is close, you will be close. I doubt you will break 400.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Did you forget that an SCT would be the way to go in this instance. You did mention you have forgotten more about building trucks than others ever have known.

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt I will break 400 either....the D-max is using some sort of Live wire crap...he's all hush hush....the cummins is using a superchips canned tune also...we can get torque numbers as well, 1/4 mile times, top speed runs....so it's all in good fun...the loser buys drinks....

This is a real world dyno...none of that dyno jet B.S., it's calibrated to ASTM standards so you get real H.P. numbers and Torque numbers....everyone who's ever run there vehicle on this dyno gets there feelings hurt...lol but the numbers don't lie, during the 1/4 mile runs it's always within 1/10 of what they actually run at the strip...

Example....guy at work has a new Cadillac CTS-V ( supercharged ) rated at 565 hp....our dyno measured 404 at the wheels and 1/4 mile time of 12.97 at 119....top speed run was 173 ( before computer limit kicked in )

Should be fun...

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you forget that an SCT would be the way to go in this instance. You did mention you have forgotten more about building trucks than others ever have known.
Oh yes...BUT....I really can't spend $2,000 to do what I want without the wifey ripping my B---s off....and I got the Flashpaq for $125....what's the last engine you built ? I build them from the block up everyday....there's a pic of the last one I built on Friday in the Electric fan Thread....let's see some of yours...

·
1,079 Posts
I saw a guy with 40's make a fine pull on a dyno. He had real tunes though.

If the Dmax is running EFI Live, and knows what he's doing, you guys are done.. My guess is you'll put down about 350..

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy with Dmax is scared to turn off his EGR and Regen. function for fear of voiding his warranty..lol I think 350 for my truck would be very optimistic on this dyno....I'm thinking more in the 325 range...torque should be interesting.....

We had a guy with a 78 Dodge pickup with a 440 that had MSD, 3 2barrels, mild cam, long tubes...put down 280 hp and 375 TQ.....not bad for an all original bottom end 78....

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
How can he do that with a 4 inch turbo back? My buddy put down 427 with his eco tune. Not to hurt your feelings but that dmax will throw down the numbers. All 3 of you are on the edge of needing trannys and converters

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can always use the excuse they have more displacement than me...haha That way the beers are prorated....

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Or the crate there motors came in suck a**

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Oh yes...BUT....I really can't spend $2,000 to do what I want without the wifey ripping my B---s off....and I got the Flashpaq for $125....what's the last engine you built ? I build them from the block up everyday....there's a pic of the last one I built on Friday in the Electric fan Thread....let's see some of yours...
You continue to amaze me...

·
I make smut cry
3,533 Posts
I see your a firm beleiver in proving your a moron rather then just letting people think it.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
All I have to say is wow. Doug proably one of the better builders smarter techs around here. Never seen anyone say he doesn't know what he's talking about. Haha

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All I have to say is wow. Doug proably one of the better builders smarter techs around here. Never seen anyone say he doesn't know what he's talking about. Haha

Well it Def. pleases me to be the first.....I've got plenty more pics of me building studded motors, turbo's, machining blocks and heads whatever you want.....so I'm still waiting for ALL your high performance engine building tips here Doug....

Please don't think you can get into an engine building competition with me cause you will get owned !!!!

What size ream do you use when installing new valve guides ? What angle do you grind the valve seats to ( intake and exhaust ) How much material can you safely remove when porting a 6.0 head and what side do you have to be most careful on ? What's the injector tip protrusion numbers you find that makes the most power ? What's the best side clearance and ring gap numbers for making optimal HP you found that work best ? Do you like to polish the crank before installation ? If your putting a custom CAM in what Lobe seperation, duration and lift do you find works best ? After setting your valve resession do you also adjust your Valve stem height for optimal rocker arm wear and at what height do you find to make the most power and create the least amount of wear ? When decking the block how much do you usually take off and how much can you make up with head gasket choice ? When honing the cylinders what honing stone combination do you use and how passes do you make...what's the cylinder wall surface finish numbers that make the most power, give the best oil control and have the least amount of friction ?

I can go on and on....this is what I do everyday !!!! Build all types of Diesel Engines either to customer specs, ASTM specs or Manufacturer specs.....so please don't act like you build or have built nearly as many engines as me !!!!!

You're better at aftermarket tuning than me, I have no doubt....I don't deal in that aspect of the industry.....But I'll put my engine building skills against anyone on this forum....

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see your a firm beleiver in proving your a moron rather then just letting people think it.
And who are you ? What do you do for a living ? You're prob. one of those Magazine Mechanics.....you know the guys who subscribe to all the magazines read all the nifty build-up articles and then give advice to everyone else on how to make power !!!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Well it Def. pleases me to be the first.....I've got plenty more pics of me building studded motors, turbo's, machining blocks and heads whatever you want.....so I'm still waiting for ALL your high performance engine building tips here Doug....

Please don't think you can get into an engine building competition with me cause you will get owned !!!!

What size ream do you use when installing new valve guides ? What angle do you grind the valve seats to ( intake and exhaust ) How much material can you safely remove when porting a 6.0 head and what side do you have to be most careful on ? What's the injector tip protrusion numbers you find that makes the most power ? What's the best side clearance and ring gap numbers for making optimal HP you found that work best ? Do you like to polish the crank before installation ? If your putting a custom CAM in what Lobe seperation, duration and lift do you find works best ? After setting your valve resession do you also adjust your Valve stem height for optimal rocker arm wear and at what height do you find to make the most power and create the least amount of wear ? When decking the block how much do you usually take off and how much can you make up with head gasket choice ? When honing the cylinders what honing stone combination do you use and how passes do you make...what's the cylinder wall surface finish numbers that make the most power, give the best oil control and have the least amount of friction ?

I can go on and on....this is what I do everyday !!!! Build all types of Diesel Engines either to customer specs, ASTM specs or Manufacturer specs.....so please don't act like you build or have built nearly as many engines as me !!!!!

You're better at aftermarket tuning than me, I have no doubt....I don't deal in that aspect of the industry.....But I'll put my engine building skills against anyone on this forum....
Ok superman, since your apparently smarter than everyone else why do you act lime you can't make any money and can only afford 145$ tuner? If your that good you should be doin good, oh wait you said your wife pisses it all away, so why don't you just get off here and go continue being her little b!tch!

·
Word
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok superman, since your apparently smarter than everyone else why do you act lime you can't make any money and can only afford 145$ tuner? If your that good you should be doin good, oh wait you said your wife pisses it all away, so why don't you just get off here and go continue being her little b!tch!

I do make VERY GOOD money.....I never said I couldn't afford it, I said that my wife would get pissed if I spent it....

Why are you making personal attacks on my wife by saying she pissed all my money away and saying I'm her little bitch !!!! It's called being married, you can't have it your way all the time... Have I said anything about anyone's family on here.....I guess the moderators allow people to attack other people's family on this forum...

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Well your attacking sponsors and I didn't attack your wife I attacked you. I show some respect for sponsors on here, you appear to show none. So you get what you deserve I was just repeating what you said yourself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts