Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired up my truck this morning to warm it up. I have not been driving it lately, only once a month if that for the last 4 to 5 months.

I noticed diesel leaking from the bottom of the bell housing(under torque converter) onto the pavement, making a pretty good puddle. I climbed on top of the engine and the valley is dry. There is a little bit of diesel in the valve cover (towards middle of engine) on the drivers side that may be running to the back of the engine.

I think I found a leak on the side of the fuel bowl in the little sender unit thingy. I tightened this down, but not too tight as it is plastic and brass. It did not appear to leak after this, but I did not spend much time up there after that.

I wiped down the bottom of the bell housing and let if run for another five minutes before shutting it off. It still leaked, but did not seem to be as bad, possibly just residual, but maybe not.

Any other ideas on a leak that I should look for.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Bergy1

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
clean the valley put baby powder in it and start it up this makes it easy to see where the fuel is coming from. check fuel pump weep hole and fuel lines ( there are 3 sort rubber lines on the fuel pump to the filter.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The valley is bone dry right now. It had a fuel line leak a year ago and I replaced all the fuel lines on the bowl and they are not leaking now. Is there any place for fuel to leak off the back of the engine? I can't think of anything back there??

I'm really suspicious of the lines coming of the driver side of the fuel bowl, the fittings with the screen and that stuff. If it is it's running down the top side lip of the driver side valve cover and off the back of the engine. I think I got it tight this morning, but won't be back there for another hour or two to look at it some more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found my leak. What is this thing?? It is leaking between the brass and plastic. I need to replace it.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
That is the Fuel Restriction Sensor (also called a vacuum switch by Ford). They are notorius for leaking. You can replace it (usually only available from Ford and pricey at $50 or so) or you can get a 1/8 NPT plug and just plug the opening. The sensor lights the Fuel Filter light on the dash and if you are good about changing your filters you can get by without it (most of us have already done this). Don't overtighten it as you can easily crack the regulator block (not cheap!!!). Cheers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Patrick and others that responded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the same problem as Bergy1 with fuel leaking out of the bottom of the bell housing. Mine will not leak with the truck running but when you shut it off you imediately hear a trickling sound like running water then fuel will start leaking. can someone help me with this? my valley is also dry as well!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I also have the same problem as Bergy1. After I shut my truck off you could smell a distinct gas smell (see signature). The whole valley is a little oily so I finally traced it to that sensor and that is also where my fuel leak was coming from. I do believe I will go ahead and put the plug in it now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Its gas in my used transmission fluid fuel blend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^ LOL.

On that note I'm new to powerstrokes. I have a 95 powerstroke and I am experiencing the same issues with mine. Lots and LOTS of diesel dripping from the bellhousing and ive pinpointed the leak to the sensor. Must be very common. Bringing back old threads :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probly a dumb question but I am fairly new to diesels. What exactly is this NPT plug your referring to and where does it go on that piece?

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
NPT stands for National Pipe Thread it is the standard thread used in plumbing.

If the fuel restriction sensor is leaking you can just use a 1/8" NPT plug to seal it off. As long as you change out the filter when it is needed you can do away with the sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issue of it leaking from the fuel vacuum sensor. If you plug it instead of replacing the sensor, will there be a service light on your dash constantly? Just trying to decide whether to replace the sensor or plug it haha

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
There won't be a CEL if you just plug it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts