Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all. When we purchased our farm, there was fuel tank the previous owner used for his diesel fuel. As best I can tell the fuel is about 1 1/2 years old. there is no water in the tank and the tank is in great shape. A sample of the fuel looks good, it is a clear red (off road) with no water or stuff in the fuel.
So how long can diesel sit in a tank and still be usable? Mainly I was wondering if I can use it for heating oil. If it is usable I was thinking of mixing it with fresh oil at a ratio of 1 part old to 3 parts new.

Anyone know of any test kits for diesel fuel?

Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks,

·
Banned
459 Posts
id say its fine

·
Registered
131 Posts
friend of mine bought a tanker of diesel and stored it underground right before y2k. thought he might be prepared. he just finished the last of it bout six months ago. was running it in his equ and pickup. haven't heard of any problems I wouldn't worry bout it if theres no water or dirt.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I would use an additive to it for heating oil /diesel fuel to make sure water is not in there and kill any microbs that may have grown in there since you do not know for sure. It will be good for the tank itself as well. Schaeffers makes a great product called Fuel Shock for heating oil and motor diesel. Schaeffer Oil | Fuel Shock Fuel System Cleaner That or find something similar. Otherwise it should be fine. Make sure to replace the water filter sep on the tank if it has one. If you will be using it going forward add one if not.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
my cousin buys tractors and parts them out, says he has run 30 yr old diesel in his every day tractor:eek:

·
Busted Knuckles
2,456 Posts
friend of mine bought a tanker of diesel and stored it underground right before y2k. thought he might be prepared. he just finished the last of it bout six months ago. was running it in his equ and pickup. haven't heard of any problems I wouldn't worry bout it if theres no water or dirt.
Not sure if that's smart of just plain paranoia! LOL

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
what I would like to know is how you could have had delivered enough diesel that after 30 yrs you are still using it? Talk about over estimating need big time!!!:doh::D But if that is the case then its only costing them about 68 cent a gallon.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
what I would like to know is how you could have had delivered enough diesel that after 30 yrs you are still using it? Talk about over estimating need big time!!!:doh::D But if that is the case then its only costing them about 68 cent a gallon.
I think you mixed up 2 posts, one said they bought fuel for y2k- 10years ago, and mine said my cousin is burning fuel he has pulled out of non running tractors that he buys to part out- says some of that fuel is 30yrs old and it still burns!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Id prolly add a product called PRI-D and run it.....

Look at this thing that DieselCraft sells now..... "Fuel stabilizer"
Fuel Purification Installation

A magnet? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I think you mixed up 2 posts, one said they bought fuel for y2k- 10years ago, and mine said my cousin is burning fuel he has pulled out of non running tractors that he buys to part out- says some of that fuel is 30yrs old and it still burns!
Yep that is exactly what I did. Disregard. :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts