Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everone always say how much nicer a diesel is than a big block, but when I build a big block I'm good to go, hammer down all day. Why can't we do this with our 6.0's? As soon as you turn it up the egts go up, with just a 65hp tune pulling I can hit 1600*. Has anyone or anyone know a way to build one with an extra 100hp and still be able to drive like stock? Without buying a new truck or water meth.
Thanks for any help or ideas you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used my xstreet tune towing my 24' race trailer and I would mb see 1100 degrees. How fast do you pull? My truck is stock height

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ran a few tuners tunes, stock I can hit 1400*, with my 8,000lbs trailer and a 2008 durmax there are times it's to the floor running 70-80 mph in the wind, it pulls as good if not better than my ford. Pull 24-26k I was running 80 at 1400* then I slowed down to keep temps under 1200*. I would like to set it up to pull and still keep temps like stock.

·
Registered
922 Posts
you have to have something else wrong those are crazy temps but it might also be your altitude. im betting on something else being wrong though

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Yea 1400*F when stock just doesnt seem right to me. JMO.

·
Registered
922 Posts
still that to me seems way above normal. if he adds just a tow tune and gets over 1600 then there has to be something else wrong

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had 4 6.0's all ran the same temps. A 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007.
When at sea level its cooler, but can still get 1400* plus.

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Are you running WOT everywhere with huge tires and stock gears while towing something huge??

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I'm pulling there are time I'm to the floor for hours. On hills that are 10 miles long at 6%. I can and so keep temps under 1375* but want to set it up so my grilfriend dosnt always have to watch.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With my stock tires and 8k trailer on flates no tune, flat ground I've had it to the floor running 65-70. When you get out on the open road that wind takes all your power, give me any 6.0 it will do the same, there is nothing wrong with my truck. At 105000 miles still running like the day we got it, 500 miles. I travel all over, coast to coast.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Question did you ever monitor your Exhaust temps on your Big block ??? Your big block probably wasnt going into a turbo either. Now we are getting into comparing the differences of gas and diesel motors.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just trying to build my 6.0 up a little, 100hp over stock and still be safe, if I drove it like I did my big blocks it would be trashed in no time! I'm hoping someone has a way to, or ideas how to do this! Not compare them. That's just a mess. We have like something different. I like my 6.0, just want it to run a little better. If someone put a intercooler on and seen temps drop, would like to know that it's worth it for towing, racing temps are not the same as towing temps, or Dougs intakes? Would they really lower my temps, if I'm hitting 1600* now would a intake drop me to 1500 max? That's what I'm trying to find out without spending tons of money.
And just so it dosnt come up, my big blocks pulled as fast as I wanted but at 2-6 mpg. And 9-12 empty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Generally WOT for extended periods and towing don't go together, but if you want to test it you have 3 options in my IMHO:
1. Get a custom tow tune written that fuels in a manner to match your driving style and limit EGT.
2. Run compounds to increase airflow and cool it down
3. By a 6.4 and run a tune that still incorporated defueling about a certain EGT

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How dose your 62mm turbo spool, did your banks intercooler help you out?

·
Registered
99 Posts
GET CUSTOM TUNES BY JODY TIPTON AND ALSO MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET HIGH ALTITUDE TUNES FOR TOWING ALSO..

BIGGER TURBO AND INTERCOOLER (AND I DON'T MEAN A BANKS EITHER) = 300-400 COOLER TEMPS

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you PM me the info for his info, what turbo intercooler would you suggest?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone? I know people pull with their trucks, someone has to know something, I can't be the frist to want to do this, if is, let's get some ideas that you think are with while!

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
Something has to be up. I have a 7.3, and if I go to California, with say....12k lbs behind me, using my tow tune, I may have it to the floor for an hour total for the whole 18 hour trip. And, I do 70-75...big long hills I lock out overdrive and will pull at 3/4 throttle and only drop a couple mph. I think a lot of it could be your driving technique, don't force the truck down the road, let the motor pull you along. I would suggest switching tuners, get a tow tune from Matt Robinson...none of my tunes will get over 1300 degrees other than my hottest setting. Back off the go pedal some, let the truck do the work, and you'll save a lot of wear and tear, and keep the wallet fatter.

Fwiw- I had grossed 33k lbs, pulled in my stock setting, and it would still run 70 without keeping my foot pinned to the floor. When you're bucking a hard wind, manually drop it a gear, and back out of the pedal a little. When in a big truck, I've split from 13th to 12th gear, and will roll out of the throttle a touch....less fuel, less boost and it'll still pull at the same speed.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts