Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dies after fuel filter light comes on give me ideas

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Patrick Feeley 
#1 ·
I got this truck it runs great but once the fuel filter lights some on it dies, here is what I have done, new fuel pump, new fuel lines. New fuel filter, new gas tanks, new selector valve on frame, new switch on dash, only thing I have not done is ICP sensor fixing to change it tonight plzs give me ideas what it could be

#2 ·
With the fuel filter light coming on it is telling you that there is a restriction or no fuel to the sensor. Nothing to do with the ICP.

How much fuel is in your tanks and does it happen on both tanks? I would also test the fuel pressure when running.

#5 ·
You can use a pencil type air pressure gauge on the Schrader valve on the side of the filter housing. Just wrap a rag around it to keep from spraying diesel all over. You should see close to 50 psi +.

You can also check with parts stores and see if they have a fuel pressure gauge in their rent a tools.

Did this just start or was it happened before your other problems?

On the fuel pump, I have seen them bad right out of the box if it is a rebuild

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

#9 ·
If this is the same poster that I just read about on another forum, his problem was a broken fuel strainer inside the fuel tank. It had disintegrated and was clogging the fuel line. The fuel filter light was signaling excessive vacuum due to the restriction, which is its mission in life. A new fuel strainer (or two) in the tank(s) fixed the problem, at least for that poster on that other forum.

I am relating this because it can be helpful to future readers.

#13 ·
Thanks for the update! Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.