Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, its been a hell of a week with this truck.

This morning I was planning on heading to my shop to swap out the fuel pump. Its starting to weep and I wanted to get an early start so I wouldn't miss Thanksgiving with my family. And, I was planning on towing my buggy to Penrose tomorrow to go wheeling.

Truck started normally this morning. It was about 25 degrees out. It wasn't plugged in. "wait to start" light came on, and it fired right up. Everything seemed fine. Then 10 seconds into running it died. Tried to restart and wasn't getting a "wait to start" light or any others on that panel. Found three blown fuses under the hood. #22 as expected, but also #1 and #7(mini bus fuse). Replaced them all and verified all fuses are now good under the hood and in the cab. Pulled codes through my Scan Gauge II and literally have nothing. No codes.

In fact, I don't even see a spot in the dash where the "CEL" would even light up. There is nothing and I have never even seen one. Build date of this truck is 02/96.

I did pull the fuel bowl yesterday and replaced all of the fuel lines on it trying to track down what ended up being the fuel pump weep. But, I drove it home from the shop last night with no issues.

Beginning to think its a PCM issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the same sort of problem last week. I would get a crank, but no fire. I found out I was not making enough high pressure oil to fire the injectors. I replaced my ipr and all was well. Get a scan tool to read pressures and see where you are at.

·
your mom
211 Posts
Sounds like a hpo problem. If it starts good all the time when cold but once warm dosent start look into hpo .

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
i agree, unplug fuel bowl heater, replace #22 and try again. before i found this site (years ago with my first psd) i blew 5 of these dern fuses trying to figure out what the problem was. unpluged the fuel bowl heater and replaced with a new fuse and it fired right up. it would blow the fuse as soon as i turned the key on.

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, it was the heating element in the bowl.

So, the question i have is, I live in Colorado. We will get several days under 0* out here in the winter. How critical is the heating element? I searched and found a few people not running them, but just want to know. Will I be good with some fuel additive/anti-gel alone and keeping the engine block heater plugged in on those days?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
your good without it-- if it gets real cold, just plug in the block heater.

·
Running at last...
2,789 Posts
your good without it-- if it gets real cold, just plug in the block heater.
:whs:

We get -45F at times without the wind chill. And Without the fuel heater it made no differance. Just keep good additave in there like Howe's diesel treat. With Howe's diesel treat I have NEVER had a jelling problem even when all the other diesels we had on the place jelled..

·
Registered
744 Posts
Driver side on the lower part of the fuel bowl!

·
Addicted Offroad
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THere are three plugs on the DS of the fuel bowl. Fuel heater is the middle plug. Just pull it and zip tie it up. That is what I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.