Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck started to loose power and died before I could get pulled over. Threw a cps at it and did not help. Broke down and bought torque pro and bluetooth adapter. Only getting about 250psi of oil pressure. Read elsewhere it was most likely ipr sticking open. Replace ipr and started cranking, was getting about 700-800 psi now, but no rpms. Found the cps harness fell off, reinstalled and started cranking. Got truck started, ran like crap for about a minute, evened out ran for a few more mins, then rpm and oil pressure started to fall till it died again. Now when cranking I'm getting about 350- 400 psi @65% ipr duty cycle, rpms 120-140. Hpop reservoir stays about an inch or so from the top. Tried cranking with ipc unplugged, but no difference. Didnt notice any oil either. Looks pretty new (truck is new to me). Fresh oil and filter, fresh fuel filter, fresh air filter. Getting white smoke while cranking, seems like she wants to go it's just not quite getting the pressure needed. Any ideas or pushes in the right direction would certainly be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

·
PSN intsigator
6,858 Posts
Sounds line a bad ipr, hpop, or a major high pressure oil leak

Reactions: Jax

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what do you think I should try next? Dead heading the hpop or pull the valve covers and look for a leak at the injectors? Anyway to verify new ipr is good? (motorcraft from riffraff diesel)

·
PSN intsigator
6,858 Posts
The hpop has to supply a minimum of 450psi to the injectors. The engine also has to be turning a minimum of 200 rpm. The 65% duty cycle is very excessive. Are there any codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes, atleast on the torque pro app, dont have access to a better scan tool at the moment. No engine light. I didnt know that I needed 200 rpm minimum to start. Could that be an issue? Engine isnt turning over quick enough to build that last little bit of oil pressure? Ipr duty cycle starts at around 14% and climbs to around 65% as pressure builds to 350-400. I did try quick cycling between starts once or twice and pressure will surge up to around 500 and level back out in 350-400. If that is helpful.

·
PSN intsigator
6,858 Posts
350 to 400 is not enough pressure, maybe pull the VC's and see if you have an injector dumping oil pressure

·
Registered
638 Posts
Is your truck spinning up to 200 rpm when cranking? If not it would be worthwhile to have the batteries and starter checked. I have had problems with starters in the past. In your first post though, you had the truck running before it died. Did you buy Ford parts or aftermarket stuff you can get at Autozone, Napa and similar? There are many antidotes here in which folks have had problems with the aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with motorcraft everything. Ipr came from riff raff and the cps came from the dealership. Yeah the truck ran for maybe 5 mins or so. I cranked on it for awhile with the cps unplugged(accidentally) and after I plugged it in it fired off after a couple cranks. I guess since the injectors weren't trying to fire with the cps unplugged it was able to stack enough oil pressure to start and run for a few minutes until the oil pressure bleed off? I'm not getting 200 rpms while cranking right now, so I'll get the charger on it and get the batteries nice and hot and try it again. Probably drained them down with all that cranking. So with pressure bleeding down like that yall are thinking leak in o rings?

·
Registered
638 Posts
The CPS is kind of important for getting the injectors to fire ;). Your batteries could be a little weak at this point. A good charging would certainly help. If you were able to build enough pressure to start the thing it should have continued building pressure to keep it running. So something has happened. Does the truck have any other upgrades in the recent past?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It did have a 6 position chip, I pulled the pcm and chip. The truck came with a pcm so I swapped the one with the chip with the "new" one. Other than an exhaust tip everything else seems to be stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It did have a 6 position chip, I pulled the pcm and chip. The truck came with a pcm so I swapped the one with the chip with the "new" one. Other than an exhaust tip everything else seems to be stock.
Air test your high pressure oil circuit at the IPR valve and listen leaks. With shop air pressure (120 psi) you shouldn't hear any air leaking. If so, check your stand pipes and dummy plugs. If no leaks, check ICP voltage and FICM output voltage (47.5 min for the FICM). You said something about white smoke? Maybe do a cylinder pressure test. 6.0 has a history of blown head gaskets especially when running a tuner.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Dumb question from a real noob --

Could a broken o-ring have pumped high pressure oil into the fuel?

Y'all suspected something like that in mine before I replaced the HPOP.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Another member had a similar problem and ended up having one bad injector that was letting oil pass through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
what oil are you running, please include any additives or engine oil treatment you may be using also how many miles are on it? My 99 and my 95 wouldn’t create enough oil pressure when cold because the 15w-40 was too thick and made the truck hard to start and it surged like crazy. I put in shell t6 5-40 synthetic and problem solved. Picked up very good mileage and power gains as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm assuming you have a 7.3, not a 6.0 since it's listed in the 7.3 section.

Download car gauge pro, it's a more in depth app for testing than torque. I use car gauge pro for buzz and contribution tests but torque pro for monitoring, they each have their strengths.

Could be a fuel pump issue, it wouldn't hurt to check it. Drain your fuel bowl and remove the cap, turn on your key and the pump should quickly and easily fill that fuel bowl. It does sound more like an IPR issue. Check the DC% with a comprable meter while cranking. Could be an electrical issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for the late response, but it is a 7.3, 197,xxx. I put rotella 15w-40 that's what I was told has been ran in the truck. I live in Charelston, Sc so this time of year it's pretty warm. Engine oil temp stays around 80-85 degrees just sitting. I will check out the car gauge pro app. I would like to run a buzz test. I've drained the fuel bowl and it came out pretty good when I turned the key with the valve open. I'm really thinking its something in the high pressure oil system.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts