Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 2008 6.4 to my mechanic today before purchasing it. It came back with an ICP code but didn't say from when. It appeared to have occurred at idle with oil temperature only 83 degrees F. Is this a bad code to appear or just a possible random code? Also when they did the compression run with the display on the computer screen, cylinders 6 and 8 had a 1% loss and cylinder #2 had a 4% compression loss. The truck didn't seem to miss a beat idling or running but the mechanic said this is a bad sign, how bad? I love the truck, it has 110,000 miles and was purchased from a ranch in Texas. Feedback on these issues please

·
Registered
955 Posts
Took a 2008 6.4 to my mechanic today before purchasing it. It came back with an ICP code but didn't say from when. It appeared to have occurred at idle with oil temperature only 83 degrees F. Is this a bad code to appear or just a possible random code? Also when they did the compression run with the display on the computer screen, cylinders 6 and 8 had a 1% loss and cylinder #2 had a 4% compression loss. The truck didn't seem to miss a beat idling or running but the mechanic said this is a bad sign, how bad? I love the truck, it has 110,000 miles and was purchased from a ranch in Texas. Feedback on these issues please
Was the code for low RP?
Did you/he do a manual compression test or just computer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
low RP, he didn't say. Just that it could lead to replacing the ICP, possibly the HPOP if that was the problem or a pressure valve? He just did the computer test, it was running live showing rpm and such as he was revving the accelerator, then he switched to a bar graph because he saw fluctuations in the #2 cylinder that he didn't like, which then showed the 4% compression loss. I just wonder how bad this diagnosis really is. He said they consider more than 1% compression loss bad. He said to find out what is up with the #2 would take some manual work.

·
Registered
955 Posts
low RP, he didn't say. Just that it could lead to replacing the ICP, possibly the HPOP if that was the problem or a pressure valve? He just did the computer test, it was running live showing rpm and such as he was revving the accelerator, then he switched to a bar graph because he saw fluctuations in the #2 cylinder that he didn't like, which then showed the 4% compression loss. I just wonder how bad this diagnosis really is. He said they consider more than 1% compression loss bad. He said to find out what is up with the #2 would take some manual work.
First, it would be helpful to know if there are any mods to this truck (DPF delete, a tuner, CAI, EGR, etc.). Second, maybe you have your abbreviations wrong, but if this is a 6.4, there aint no HPOP on it. It is common rail injection, not a HEUI. Maybe he was referring to the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). The 7.3 and 6.0 are HEUI and have a HPOP. Without knowing more, it is hard to say. It would be nice if he had given you the exact code. Assuming it was a low RP, that code pop up after changing fuel filters and not purging the air correctly (it takes turning the key to the ON position for 30 seconds BTW), dirty filters, etc, or a weak LPFP or HPFP. If this was a 1 time thing, I wouldn't be too worried. If there is a problem, you will get more codes or symptoms.

On the "loss" of compression, again it hard to say without more info. Since he was revving it, I wonder if he wasn't checking contribution and not compression. If it is contribution, there are a number of possible issues without more info. It could be on the fuel side...a weak injector, leaking line, o-ring on the injector, etc. If it not on the fuel side, it could be due to a cylinder/piston/ring issue, heads cracked issue, or valvetrain issue, etc. Cracked pistons can be a problem with the 6.4 if they are exposed to excessive heat and cracked heads are hit and miss but again, usually associated with excessive heat. For the most part, the rest of the valvetrain holds up well except the rockers are problematic if it has some miles has not had the DPF deleted. On a positive note, 4% would be pretty low for a cracked piston unless the crack was extremely mild. The rings and cylinders are usually not an issue (except when you get a cracked piston) but any engine if not maintained properly can have a cylinder/ring issue with that mileage. A manual compression test will tell you a lot cause then we would at least know if we can rule-out the fuel side of things.
I am definitely not an expert so hopefully others will chime in. If I were you, I would find out the specifics (and make sure we are talking about 6.4) and then post your question on PSA. The folks on that forum tend to be very knowledgeable. Feel free to send a PM if you have any questions about PSA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ICP code was a one time item that may have been associated with changing the fuel filter, he didn't see any other codes that supported something terrible, oil temp was low and he said the specifics of the code said the truck was at idle. So I won't worry about that code for now. With the loss of compression, he was revving it high, he pushed the idle to 2000 from where it idles in neutral, on the line graph he saw some differences in the #2 cylinder column. When he went to a diff. screen, it showed the 4% loss of compression in that cylinder and 1% in #6 and #8. The top of the other columns for the other cylinders all said 0% loss. It is a 2008 6.4 4 speed auto for sure. Looking the engine over, it is all stock and original, the EGR is still there, the block and topend appear spotless, no rust either. I don't know what a DPF is but Dale said the truck looked stock and had no tuner mods to it, original exhaust, turbos, and intercooler. Do you think this would be OK to purchase. How much time and work would it take to do the manual compression test on this. The dealer let me take it for an hour, but he's certainly not going to permit a teardown.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The ICP code was a one time item that may have been associated with changing the fuel filter, he didn't see any other codes that supported something terrible, oil temp was low and he said the specifics of the code said the truck was at idle. So I won't worry about that code for now. With the loss of compression, he was revving it high, he pushed the idle to 2000 from where it idles in neutral, on the line graph he saw some differences in the #2 cylinder column. When he went to a diff. screen, it showed the 4% loss of compression in that cylinder and 1% in #6 and #8. The top of the other columns for the other cylinders all said 0% loss. It is a 2008 6.4 4 speed auto for sure. Looking the engine over, it is all stock and original, the EGR is still there, the block and topend appear spotless, no rust either. I don't know what a DPF is but Dale said the truck looked stock and had no tuner mods to it, original exhaust, turbos, and intercooler. Do you think this would be OK to purchase. How much time and work would it take to do the manual compression test on this. The dealer let me take it for an hour, but he's certainly not going to permit a teardown.
I am not a mechanic...I tinker on my stuff or buddies when time permits, but I don't see this stuff every day. I would defer to your buddies judgement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts