Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm trying to solve a puzzle. That is, my truck won't run. I have compiled quite a lot of information on the matter, yet don't have the Powerstroke expertise to decipher it on my own. Hopefully you all can help. I will unravel the pieces to this enigma in chronological order, and I will format my post the best that I can in order to make it legible. Important questions are bold faced.

Subject: 1994.5 F350 Powerstroke 5sp 4:10 Gears 150,000mi

See attachment for more info!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Whats the prize?

Why not just copy and paste your word document to this site? Will make for a lot easier reading

·
Registered
842 Posts
sounds just like injector orings or a sticking ipr do you have a way to block off either head and check which side to start with... but also on the same coin if it were orings it useally wouldn't build up too 3000psi are you sure its in psi not Kpa

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
For some reason my computer won't read .DOC files, must be getting too old, someone care to post the information? I'd be happy to help then.

Dave

·
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4
1,239 Posts
Injector O rings

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
For some reason my computer won't read .DOC files, must be getting too old, someone care to post the information? I'd be happy to help then.

Dave
I will attempt

- Truck ran fine
- Truck began to smoke greatly on startup; enough to fill mine and neighboring yards. Smoke was sharp smelling and white-ish.
- Traveling home from a 3hr drive, the truck began running very roughly; like it was not running on all cylinders.
- Got home, parked truck, would not start again to this day. (That was back in February)
- Came back several months later to trouble shoot. Start with the following maintenance to get truck up to snuff. (Warm weather)
o Changed engine oil and filter.
o Removed EBPV because butterfly valve was sticking shut sometimes.
o Installed new air Intake and filter.
o Checked fuel and filter - GOOD!
o Changed PCM to '97 version (ALF6) to be able to use OBDII tools.
- Begin troubleshooting by pulling pipe plug on HPOP reservoir. -EMPTY! (Low HPOP oil would cause rough running followed by no start, but does not explain all the smoke).
- Refilled res. and cranked engine hoping problem was a simple fix - checked level again - WAY DOWN (Possibly explained by pump trying to re-prime itself?)
- Ran KOEO: P0113 Intake Air Temp High Circuit & P1219 CID LOW retrieved.
- Ran Injector Buzz Test; #2 buzz seemed muted. Code p1219 CID LOW retrieved again. (Not sure if relevant to no start, mostly just wanted to play with scan tool.)
- Refilled HPOP reservoir and let sit overnight. Still full in morning.
- Tested Glow Plug System; Glow Plug Relay Good. Unsure about individual plugs: When I ground the ohm meter on the negative terminal of the battery and touch the other lead to the glow plug pins on the valve cover connectors, I get a resistance of about -6 ohm for all of the pins. What does this mean? I think resistance is supposed to be 1-2ohms, correct?
- Monitored sensors and made observations during cranking attempts:

Trial 1:

HPOP res down 1" after short crank. (Not primed yet?)
Tach moving, no smoke. (CPS good correct?)

Trial 2:
Lost Table….
Topped off HPOP Res. and charged batteries.
Got ICP pressure
Fuel PW still 0 at all times. - There are two selections on my scan tool: Fuel Pulse Width # 1 and Fuel Injector Pulse Width. I picked the first one and am wondering if this was the correct choice. What does it mean to be flatlined at 0?
Tach Moving
No smoke
HPOP res down 1" after crank.

Trial 3:

Topped of res
Tach moving
Smoke coming out of exhaust
HPOP res down .5" after

Trial 4:

No top off of res
Smoke coming out of exhaust
Tach moving
Oil coming out of almost all silver ports on top of injectors
Hpop res down 1.5"

Trail 5:

Topped off res
Smoke out exhaust
Tach moving
Oil coming out all silver ports (rhythmic spurts) on top of injectors except left (if sitting in cab) front injector. (Also same injector that was muted during buzz test - Is oil supposed to spurt out of these silver ports? What does the fore mentioned coincidence mean?)
Hpop res down 1" after
Why is the Injection control pressure so high during cranking? Shouldn't it be just greater than 500psi to start? Why am I seeing 3000psi?

Please suggest ways to proceed in order to get more data that would lead to a diagnoses, or feel free to suggest diagnoses from the current data.
Oh yeah, the prize……If you diagnose my truck correctly, you will receive my utmost admiration and appreciation!
Charts did not copy over.
*.doc documents are microsoft word documents. If you don't have office. You can download a word viewer here for free.
Download details: Word Viewer

·
Registered
262 Posts
Borrowed from a very reliable source.

The P1219 is a chaffed or broken wire, its pin number 96 on your pcm. a yellow with light blue tracer. runs from the pcm to the idm, if that wire is good then the idm is bad.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Check your fuel pressure.

If you're really seeing 3k psi of HPO while cranking, injector o-rings are not your problem. The PCM will allow it to start with ICP at 3k psi.

As for the codes, the P0113-IAT- Did you unplug the intake air temp sensor when you were doing your intake, and forget to plug it back in?

P1219-CID LOW- Check and make sure you didn't push out or bend the pin when you changed PCM's, check the PCM connector and the PCM pins also.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The IDM or that wire to the IDM sounds like a good lead to the source of the problem. Would such a condition cause lots of smoke + rough running followed by a no start and an empty HPOP res.?

I still have quite a few more questions, and I will post them here in this follow up because I think they got lost in the length of the original document.

1.) When I ground the ohm meter on the negative terminal of the battery and touch the other lead to the glow plug pins on the valve cover connectors, I get a resistance of about -6 ohm for all of the pins. What does this mean? I think resistance is supposed to be 1-2ohms, correct?

2.) If my tach is moving, then my CPS is good, correct?

3.) There are two selections on my Auto Enginuity scan tool: Fuel Pulse Width # 1 and Fuel Injector Pulse Width. I picked the first one and am wondering if this was the correct choice. Since I have hp oil pressure, what could cause this readout to be zero through all my cranking attempts? (If my sensor choice was correct, this is probably the key to the no start).

4.) Why is the Injection control pressure so high during cranking? Shouldn't it be just greater than 500psi to start? Why am I seeing 3000psi?

5.) Is oil supposed to come out of the silver ports on top of the injectors in rythmic spurts? What does it mean if oil is not coming out of one?

Thanks so much for the help,

Luke

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
The IDM or that wire to the IDM sounds like a good lead to the source of the problem. Would such a condition cause lots of smoke + rough running followed by a no start and an empty HPOP res.?

I still have quite a few more questions, and I will post them here in this follow up because I think they got lost in the length of the original document.

1.) When I ground the ohm meter on the negative terminal of the battery and touch the other lead to the glow plug pins on the valve cover connectors, I get a resistance of about -6 ohm for all of the pins. What does this mean? I think resistance is supposed to be 1-2ohms, correct?
Sounds like your meter is not zeroed out
2.) If my tach is moving, then my CPS is good, correct?

3.) There are two selections on my Auto Enginuity scan tool: Fuel Pulse Width # 1 and Fuel Injector Pulse Width. I picked the first one and am wondering if this was the correct choice. Since I have hp oil pressure, what could cause this readout to be zero through all my cranking attempts? (If my sensor choice was correct, this is probably the key to the no start).

4.) Why is the Injection control pressure so high during cranking? Shouldn't it be just greater than 500psi to start? Why am I seeing 3000psi?
Does it read that right away or does it build up to that. What is the pressure KOEO?

5.) Is oil supposed to come out of the silver ports on top of the injectors in rythmic spurts? What does it mean if oil is not coming out of one?

Yes the one that has no oil comming out is not being actuated or it is defective.

Thanks so much for the help,

Luke
Answers in red

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does it read that right away or does it build up to that. What is the pressure KOEO?
It builds to that. You can look at the charts in the OP to see KOEO vs time, but to summerize, it quickly falls to 300psi after I let go of the key and then keeps tapering down as I let it sit. This sounds normal so I am assuming my HPOP and O-rings and IPR are GOOD :)

Yes the one that has no oil comming out is not being actuated or it is defective
It was muted on the buzz test as well so that makes since. Is there any way to fix / tell if it's not the injector itself or should I just replace it?

SOOO...anyone know why my fuel pulse width is reading zero when it seems that all but one of my injectors are actuating? That is the ultimate question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts