Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 SD has over 2K miles on it so far and no problems. I have NOT had any Water in Fuel warnings, but with the recent posts on WIF and HPFP problems as a result, I want to do everything I can to avoid any problems.

My question is: How often are you guys draining the Diesel Fuel Conditioning Module (DFCM)? Are you just waiting until the warning light comes on indicating WIF or are you doing it more frequently?

I have drained it twice and it just seems to drain pure diesel fuel (which is really fun to get all over your hands and up and down your arm while you are draining the DFCM). The less I have to do that, the better, but obviously, I want to do whatever is best for my truck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would leave it alone.. IF its doing its job, you should not have to worry about it.. Thats what a scheduled P/M is for. Im sure glad my truck is out of warranty!!!. I can just drive it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had taken a class from a ford rep that was involved w/ the development of the 6.7. He recommend draining it once a month. This information will not be found in the owners manual. I try and do this to mine a least once a month. I also buy ultra low sulfur diesel ONLY. NOT!!!!!!!!!! Ultra Low Bio Diesel. The station were I get fuel has a cetane rating @ 43. Ford recommends Cetane rating @ 45. So I run cetane booster every full tank fill up.

-Craig

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have drained my water separator monthly since the truck was new. There was never any water in the separator. My advice, driven by knowledge gained im my losing battle with Ford, is to never take or tow your 6.7 Ford into the any dealership without thoroughly draining the separator.

If you are running the latest flash on your truck, you are screwed if the WIF light ever comes on and you later experience a HPFP failure. Ford can now track the WIF warning activation.

If you receive a WIF warning, you have a real problem. I used a graduated cylinder to measure the amount of water it takes to close the switch and turn on the WIF warning in a stock Ford separator. It takes just under 8 ounces of water. That much water in your separator would certainly mean even more in your tank.

I recommend using the PM22A additive from Ford. Be very careful if you are using a different additive. Emulsifying type additives need to be avoided as they will let water through the filter and into the HPFP system. We all know how that will work out if the HPFP self destructs.

Shame on Ford

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
I drain my once a month never any water Try to fill up at high volume stations. I use the ford additive even though I dont like it I have had many diesels before never used additive before. After following a few post on here I think it is good idea untill they figure out the HPFP issues and keep your receipts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I truly think it's ALL about where you buy fuel as Mfire said above, I always only fill at high volume places, I have owned a diesel longer than some on here, and not as long as others I'm sure. (Since July of 01 when I bought my early 99) I was anal about draining the fuel bowl,, at least 10 times the first year. I never ONCE found a trace of water in it. (From the first time I drained it I did the hose on the tube mod, ran it down through the cross member and was able to easily catch ever drop into a glass jar) Otherwise you'll never catch a drop! LOL Anyway, I finally quit draining it, I'll trust the light, and trust that if I keep buying fuel at hi volume places, the odds of ever getting water in fuel are very low.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I truly think it's ALL about where you buy fuel as Mfire said above, I always only fill at high volume places, I have owned a diesel longer than some on here, and not as long as others I'm sure. (Since July of 01 when I bought my early 99) I was anal about draining the fuel bowl,, at least 10 times the first year. I never ONCE found a trace of water in it. (From the first time I drained it I did the hose on the tube mod, ran it down through the cross member and was able to easily catch ever drop into a glass jar) Otherwise you'll never catch a drop! LOL Anyway, I finally quit draining it, I'll trust the light, and trust that if I keep buying fuel at hi volume places, the odds of ever getting water in fuel are very low.
JimT,
You are NOT accurate in saying that hi-volume fuel stations are unlikely to have water in fuel: case in point; after fueling at a Brand Name truck stop in November along I65 in Tennessee I must have pumped several quarts of water into the tank, enough that I had to drain water within 200mi. after fueling.
It took about 30 days, about 4000mi to finally get water out of system, draining approx. every 800mi., sometimes within 200mi. or less. Thought we were going to have to drain tank--but eventually got it out with seperator.
This included dirt and particles that were in the faulty tank at the filling station.

I have personally logged in excess of 720,000mi. on Powerstroke equipped trucks beginning with the first (1995) in October 1994. And I can tell you that this happens more often than you think...HOWEVER, I will agree that the 'odds' are better at hi-volume stops than lo-volume (where condensation, etc. are also factors), Please do not mis-lead others by saying that this is unlikely though at a hi-volume stop. I have layed underneath the '03-up trucks (awful compared to my '02-previous trucks!!) to drain water in the rain, dirt, snow, etc. too many times.
I will attest to the fact that we ALWAYS (as in EVERY fill) add fuel conditioner/additive and have been for almost ten years on all of our trucks. Others who do not use additives have had to change injectors and fuel seperator bowls & pumps due to erosion from contamination when we have NOT needed these things. We use conditioner that also breaks down the water and conditions, lubes, anti-gel, etc.

Just felt the need to clarify a few things that I can personally say I have done and experienced more than once so it is not considered a one-time rare occurance.

Thanks for listening,
STEVE.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'll concur, it's not going to be a "Never going to happen" thing,, but the point I was trying to make, and you agree to an extent I guess. I just over emphasized that your better off buying at hi volume stations. You have about 450k more miles in a PSD than I do,, so I guess you have better odds of it happening than me! LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excellent post guys. I have been following these post on these forums and others. I have come to the conclusion that if ford finds any water in your system your warrenty is voided Which is bs the customer has no way to know if water is in the diesel. So my question is has any one made a bomb proof filtration system to stop the water. Ford will void your warrenty for this system but who cares. They aren't going to cover it anyways. So I want to protect myself the best I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So my question is has any one made a bomb proof filtration system to stop the water. Ford will void your warrenty for this system but who cares. They aren't going to cover it anyways. So I want to protect myself the best I can.
I have an auxillary tank with a seperate filter and always pump into that and then into the truck as an extra layer of protection. You can get a filter that will clog up and restrict flow when it gets water in it, cim-tek makes the one I use.

Cim-Tek Filtration: Resources

·
Registered
39 Posts
I inquired at my dealer the other day when was in to have my coolant tested about maintenance and specifically fuel service and my advisor told me to "follow the screen in front of me, it will tell you when it needs service"....

I said ok...and that's what I will do.

I personally don't buy the hype about the fuel system problems. I think there are 2 guys that have had problems...thats 2 out of hundreds of thousands of trucks? Thats a fluke or bad luck not a design flaw. I think guys are fueling out of a company bulk tank allowing water to enter...and i dont care how many filters these guys have on there tanks, when it is transferred from a fuel hub to truck to fuelers bulk tank to truck to ultimately the storage tank to truck, there are more opportunities to allow water to enter.... but that is my opinion...I will treat this truck the same way I have treated my other trucks. Put fuel in when needed, change the oil when it tells me to, fill the def when it prompts and enjoy the truck. I put on 3-4000 miles a month and know my dealer will treat me right.

I've stopped reading ford-truck....got tired of the whining and the "I'm selling my truck" talk...I say sell it, buy a Chevrolet or ram.

End rant

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I inquired at my dealer the other day when was in to have my coolant tested about maintenance and specifically fuel service and my advisor told me to "follow the screen in front of me, it will tell you when it needs service"....

I said ok...and that's what I will do.

I personally don't buy the hype about the fuel system problems. I think there are 2 guys that have had problems...thats 2 out of hundreds of thousands of trucks? Thats a fluke or bad luck not a design flaw. I think guys are fueling out of a company bulk tank allowing water to enter...and i dont care how many filters these guys have on there tanks, when it is transferred from a fuel hub to truck to fuelers bulk tank to truck to ultimately the storage tank to truck, there are more opportunities to allow water to enter.... but that is my opinion...I will treat this truck the same way I have treated my other trucks. Put fuel in when needed, change the oil when it tells me to, fill the def when it prompts and enjoy the truck. I put on 3-4000 miles a month and know my dealer will treat me right.

I've stopped reading ford-truck....got tired of the whining and the "I'm selling my truck" talk...I say sell it, buy a Chevrolet or ram.

End rant
Yea ,, then we could go over and join their forums and see the complaints they'll have on those trucks! LOL
I joined the Dodge forum one time, talked about my 6.7, and those videos, after two posts, I was "Banned", Length, "Forever" ,, reason,,, "Troll" :doh:LOL
All I was doing was defending the FORD,, never once really bad mouthed the Durdge,,,,, :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts