Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new rear diff lock or something.

Need something that won't break, won't annoy me on the street, and won't be a hazard driving on snow covered roads when I go on my snow boarding trips.

Please advise.

Currently have an Eaton limited slip and it is coming out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A locker is the ultimate traction device... but, can SOMETIMES be difficult on icy/snowy roads. With time you will learn to adapt to it, and plan for its actions.

They can also sometimes get annoying, and, you will have to adjsut your driving style to accomodate the nuances of them.....

Chase

·
Registered
346 Posts
May not cause you to get sideways without... depends on throttle input, but, your inside tire will definately chirp in tighter turns... praking lots for example... taking a "right on red" at an intersection...

Chase

·
Registered
868 Posts
eaton bought detroit..or the other way around. i just got mine in about 4k ago. i love it.

what you mean mike? mine sometime doesnt engage if i get on it hard while turning..my inside wheel may leave tread but since my weight is on my out side it wont spin...if i wanna drift i gotta get um spinning before i turn haha

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
For better road manners I'd go with the True-Trac, like said before & limited slip/locker can be a great help or it can get you in alot of trouble.
MxChase, I've found on dry pavement with a limited slip if your turning & want it to lock up give it throttle before you start turning. On dry pavement when your into a turn & get into it, they don't always lock up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
:whs:eek:r you could go with the new E-locker and have an open rear for normal driving or have a full locker with just a flip of a switch.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Need a new rear diff lock or something.

Need something that won't break, won't annoy me on the street, and won't be a hazard driving on snow covered roads when I go on my snow boarding trips.

Please advise.

Currently have an Eaton limited slip and it is coming out.
Why are you taking out the Eaton?

If it's for a 10.5/10.25 I might be interested in it.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll happily sell the Eaton. Basically for work I drive into slick as snot muddy parking lots all the time and it does not have enough friction to engage the clutch. On the street or in gravel it works great however.

I'm doing a gear swap right now so it seems like a good time to upgrade.

I'm really considering the Detroit Locker because:
1) I've been told w/ the weight of my truck and the 35's that I'll never even notice the locker except a few pops occasionally
2) I might join you guys at the drag strip and the occasional pulling event this year just for kicks and I want something that can take the abuse.

Can anyone comment on #1 in particular? Thanks.

Thanks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
For a full on Auto Locker... nothing beats detroit...

I understand your thinking, and, agree... sort of...

I am going to be adding a factory L/S to the rear of mine soon(hopefully), with more tension, etc...

And the FRONT will propably get locked...maybe save up for ARB...

But, for simplicity, strength, reliability, mud and rocks,... Detroit all the way..

Chase

·
Registered
868 Posts
while you are doing it get a magtec diff cover..runs about $200 from 4 wheelparts.com or someone on here may sell them- ask in vender area.

adds larger capacity by 5 or 6 quarts i think..or maybe 5 or 6 all together? looks good too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts