Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pre-K
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the first pics I've posted of my truck on here. Don't have too many yet but I'll post a few before and after shots.

Before:
Sorry I don't have a full truck shot of before.

The stock molding was there but in rough rough shape so I pulled it off and buffed it up. The PO some other Autozone shiny metal on the bottom of the doors that was also in terrible condition. :doh: I don't think the PO washed the truck one time and it even created a few rust bubbles I'll have to have repaired when it gets painted in a year or two.

Here's a midpoint shot. You can still see some marks on the doors.

Another mid point shot because I put some B codes and new shocks on and wanted to get a comparison shot for the lift. I thought I had taken one prior, with stock springs, but I guess not.

After:
Towards the end I gave up focus on the bed since I'll be trading for a dually bed later. :evil I got the cab and fenders 100%. Just getting the glue and molding off alone was about 20 man hours, 2 bottles of acetone, 3 rags, a bottle of Xylene, and a lot of wacky-tobacky and hippie juice to keep my mind fresh.

First I washed it. When I bought it it wasn't pretty. I've slowly washed it better and better, more and more detailed, little by little, getting the worst of the mess off while continuing to maintain the cleanliness.

Then I buffed blemishes out with rubbing alcohol. There was a lot of corrosion around the base from the water sitting inside the debri guards on the doors. The more and more I look at this truck I see it was never washed. What a shame for what could be a nice truck, eventually I'll get there. ha.

I washed it again to get any excess rubbing alcohol off and then waxed it. Took better part of an entire day just waxing it. Tailgate isn't on in the pics. Grille isn't either. Don't mind those. I'm still working on it. As you can see, the pictures are a little premature. I've since fixed most the things you see in the pic, the bed stabilizer bar and the wires hanging below for the camper plug-in.

Like I said, I haven't posted any pics on here. I'm a little hesitant because all the pictures I see are so nice. Then here's mine... so dirty. haha.

I'm not really sure what I'm going for on the truck. I'm working on removing the chrome as of now. I like the idea of a white OBS with the black trim, toolbox, bumper, wheels, etc. I was a little reluctant to remove the molding because I like the stock appearance of cars but I think this looks amazing. I'm happy with it. I continue to take care of it and learn from it and it's been great. ^^

Thanks for looking, hope you like. Suggestions are always more-then appreciated.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Nice job, is this your daily driver? I spent an entire Sunday waxing my truck, it looked amazing then two days later it rained and all my work was ruined. Now I just wax one section at a time when I wash it each week. Not worth doing the whole truck to me lol

·
Pre-K
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, I drive it everyday I can.

I used a clay bar as well, for the first time, but wasn't sure I was doing it in the right order. Wax first, clay second?

I usually wax all my cars every spring then maintain it all year or do like you, one section at a time. Supposed to have 7 or so days of upper 80's so I'll be able to enjoy it for a bit. ^^

Next project is the interior. Sigh. I thought the outside was bad..... What do you think is the best stuff to use for interior plastics/dash?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Looking good....amazing how much better paint can look with a little attention.

You should be using the clay bar PRIOR to waxing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You guys waxing by hand need to invest into a dual action polisher. I can wax my CC/LB in about 2 hours. Thats on and off. It also makes taking swirls and other paint imperfections out.

OP you need to clay bar before you wax. It is designed to clean the paint and take off contaminants to give you a good surface to work with.

Truck looks much better now.

·
Pre-K
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

As rare as it gets waxed I'm not sure I can justify the storage space for a buffer/polisher. Not to mention I like the physical exertion, bonding time with my vehicle, and thinking time.

Now just to get the new grill on and finish the little things..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes sir, I drive it everyday I can.

I used a clay bar as well, for the first time, but wasn't sure I was doing it in the right order. Wax first, clay second?

I usually wax all my cars every spring then maintain it all year or do like you, one section at a time. Supposed to have 7 or so days of upper 80's so I'll be able to enjoy it for a bit. ^^

Next project is the interior. Sigh. I thought the outside was bad..... What do you think is the best stuff to use for interior plastics/dash?
Sorry man the order is clay first then wax. Best way to tell if u need to clay bar is put a plastic grocery bag on your hand and feel the paint, if the paint feels rough clay bar then retry. Here's a page of good tips
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

·
Registered
64 Posts
very clean truck noting better than a super clean obs!

·
siksix0
170 Posts
how did u clean that molding adhesive off i wanna do that? i wanna do that to my black 05

1 - 10 of 10 Posts