Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use it? How do you like it? And compairing to valvoline premium blue syn, Is it just as good? I love the dino delo but am thinking about switching over to synthetic. Delo is cheper than valvoline, plus i already have great experience with delo.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used it for one oil change. I really didn't see a difference. I think if you used it from day one, you may see a difference in the long run. There may have been minimal differences, but nothing I noticed, just way more expensive. All of the big rigs say on the engine, factory filled with Chevron Delo 15w-40.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want to switch from hearing all this hype about synthetic valvoline... Just thought this was cheeper. Also i know it i better for my engine so the $10 bucks a gallon more wouldnt matter, expecially with the supposed better fuel milage and extended drain intervals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also i know it i better for my engine so the $10 bucks a gallon more wouldnt matter, expecially with the supposed better fuel milage and extended drain intervals.
Why is it better for the engine? At 5k mile OCIs, is there going to be that much of a difference?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Synthetics wear your engine out less. Also it is 5w-40 so it will start easier, run smoother from what i hear, and provide greater cold weather protection. And i change the dino oil out at 5000, probly will run synthetic at like 7000 or so

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
t I believe I read somewhere that it wasn't a true synthetic?
most oils aren't true synthetic
Mobil one was and got pissed that others were claiming that they were true syn so Mobil sued( Castrol IIRCC) and lost so now Mobil isn't a true Syn either so they could stay within price point

however the fact the base oil is dino isn't a concern just a technicality

I will run Delo SYn as soon as I find it but on a 6.0 it's more beneficial due to injector stiction on a 7.3 forget it IMHO

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Well

the 7.3 isn't as infinity as the 6.0

but if it were My 7.3 I would still run a 5-40 syn

I have a bypass filtration and run syn and still change at the severe interval of 5k

I don't mind a little piece of mind and without spending 40 bucks for analysis I just feel better

·
Raptor
24 Posts
have there been any studies on benefits of syn vs dino on the fuel system? I've been thinking of switching to synthetic just to help the injectors last longer but haven't seen any data on this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
At 5k OCI intervals, per the owners manual for a 7.3, I can't see how an engine will benefit from synthetics vs. dino. If there's a study that shows differently, I'd love to read it. If there is/was one, I would guess that it would show wear would be similar between the two, but the synthetic held up to HPOP shearing better.

As far as starting easier with 5w-40, I would attribute that to the different weight of the oil, not the fact that it is synthetic instead of dino. I would expect that from a dino oil at that weight.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
Well

the 7.3 isn't as infinity Finicky as the 6.0

but if it were My 7.3 I would still run a 5-40 syn

I have a bypass filtration and run syn and still change at the severe interval of 5k

I don't mind a little piece of mind and without spending 40 bucks for analysis I just feel better
see above thanks spell check LOL

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
At 5k OCI intervals, per the owners manual for a 7.3, I can't see how an engine will benefit from synthetics vs. dino. If there's a study that shows differently, I'd love to read it. If there is/was one, I would guess that it would show wear would be similar between the two, but the synthetic held up to HPOP shearing better.

As far as starting easier with 5w-40, I would attribute that to the different weight of the oil, not the fact that it is synthetic instead of dino. I would expect that from a dino oil at that weight.
I agree for the 7.3 the 6.0 has a problem with deposits that Dino can leave

inside the injector but even then if changed properly it wasn't supposed to create any issues I just choose to eliminate the probability

no oil is going to handle dilution or fine soot better or worse so that's why I change at 5k

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
I've ran several brands of synthetics since the motor hit 20k. I have used all the easily found brands from Mobil 1, Valvoline Extreme, Rot T6, Schaffer's, Amzoil, and Delo.

For me Mobil 1 makes the most extreme difference in sound/injector noise running more quiet than the others. Amzoil was just junk for my motor. Cold starts were horrible. All the others run extremely well during any weather. I wanted to see if there were any real changes across the different brands so I ran them thru several changes. I would run a brand for 3 changes then switch to another for 3 changes or so, then switch again. I can say for my motor Mobil 1, Valvoline Extreme, Rot T6 and Delo 400 are all great oils.

As far as injector performance using synthetics I currently have 249k on my original injectors. That tells me 7500 mile intervals with synthetic oils is working just fine.

I'm currently running Delo 400 LE which is doing great for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your not going to find any 5w-40 dinos though, so that is a special for the synthetic. And plus if it sheers less... i would imagine that would help the injectors?:confused:

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
ZBrooks
it would depend on the truck IMHO

with oil fired injectors and the need for LPO and HPO margins to Be met before some systems will allow the injectors to fire the faster this can happen the faster it will start so the low 5 weight is a direct contributor to faster AKA easier starting

so I agree with you on that point

but like mentioned it might Be hard to do a comparison

1 - 18 of 18 Posts