Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body use the new DELO 400

I have always purchased my oil from walmart and the recently quit carrying locally the 400 LE found at this link.....
Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 | Chevron Lubricants

Seems they have cleared out the shelves for their new product Delo 400 SDE found at this link.....
Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 | Chevron Lubricants

Anybody done any research on their new product? Soap content ect. and compared it to the old?

I have always run the 400 LE in my mercedes 300sd as well as my ford 6.0
I dont necessary want to start an oil battle and what I should be running in my ford because I did do research on the old product so i realize that going with a oil that many do not commonly use in a 6.0 is my choice. I have ran the 400 LE for almost 3 years now in it.

Also I live in Texas

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
I've seen a lot of miles put on my grandad's fleet using Delo products!
Also, they say it meets specs, hard to nay say on that unless there's somebody out there who knows better (not me, but hoping somebody will speak up)
Delo 400 SDE 15W-40 is also backwards compatible with diesel engines in which the API CJ-4, CI-4, CI-4 Plus and CH- 4 service categories are recommended.

·
Project Shamu
2,859 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, except I ordered Delo 400 from Napa, and when they brought it to me, it was the new "SDE" with Isosyn. I guess they no longer carry the old "LE" anymore?

Either way, its working great in my 7.3.

·
Native Texan
9,070 Posts
If I remember correctly the Cj-4 spec is what 7.3l and 6.0l require. But I am getting older.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for the responses. I am going to go ahead and run the new stuff. I think it will be okay. I know a guy who is running the new stuff in his 7.3 as well but I mean I guess its too soon to know about the quality unless you are really keen on knowing what to look for in the data sheets. I thought I knew enough but I learned all that so long ago I cant remember what to look for anymore really. I am just going to go with it and not look back. if it meets spec then should be okay is what ima tell myself haha

so funny how picky we are with these choices but it is important i know... funny how they have oil now for cars that suppose to last 20k miles...that seems crazy to me i would be scared if i had a car to do that but i guess thats just from old school mind and dino oil use for so long. and then being nervous about any miles over 4k between changes on my 6.0

·
Administrator
8,467 Posts
i never used it. i have used valvoline 15-40 all fleet in all my vehicles for the past 40 years or so.
even the local ford dealer uses it in the older vehicles that do not require synthetic oil.

·
Project Shamu
2,859 Posts
Well, when i change my oil, I'll have it tested and let you guys know. I'm going 4,000 miles on this Delo 400 IsoSyn right now.

·
Et tu, Masone?
134 Posts
I have used it in multiple engines and I put Delo and Rotella T on the same level. Many years ago my dad became a Delo convert and has used it in his 7.3 and everything else on the farm from irrigation pumps to tractors to his Cummins powered Kenworth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Et tu, Masone?
134 Posts
Delo and Rotella 15-40 have a reputation for less blowby than others IMO, I have experienced that and that is what sold my dad on Delo years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

·
0 Posts
Technically not on Ford's approved list for the PSD.
Delo has removed a lot of what made the oil great in the past to comply with the CK-4 specification. Mobil did as well. The only "approved" oils on the Ford interactive list are Shell Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue.
Ford has an interactive list you can search for "approved " oils.
Google "motorcraft chemicals and lubricants catalog"
Let us know how the run of Delo works out.
Will you be doing a used oil analysis?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Delo has removed a lot of what made the oil great in the past to comply with the CK-4 specification. Mobil did as well. The only "approved" oils on the Ford interactive list are Shell Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue.
awesome, should have know they would have something like this "a list" just amazed at all the brands that are approved like 'autozone' ect and the delo doesnt. but its as you stated to meet certain specs.

i will personally not be doing an analysis because i do not know how to do it but will look into it.

·
Administrator
8,467 Posts
yup, Blackstone went up from $25 to $28 last year.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
This is interesting. I asked my local chevron oil dealer recently about their new ck4 oil. He told me it was good stuff unless you run a ford. He said ford had not approved the new ck4 and that ford was planning to have their own oil that was supposed to be used in all the new powerstrokes. I'm not sure how much of this to believe but it does sound somewhat correct from what I've read.

The same day I had to pick up some oil from the local Schaffer dealer. Schaffers semi synthetic 15-40 has also changed to ck4. I asked the girl (we call her the Schaffer babe) if its ok to mix their ck4 with the old cj4 and she said its fine. I run Schaffer oil in my 7.3 and have 3 gallons of the old cj4 but still need .5 gallon to complete the oil change.

Sorry I don't have much info to add to the delo subject. I will say that I run a drill rig everyday for work and it has never had any oil other than delo 15-40. It just turned 23,000 hours. That's pretty impressive. It still runs pretty good and I only add 2 gallons between oil changes (250 hours).

·
Project Shamu
2,859 Posts
Don't know if this question was directed at me or not, but yes, I will be doing an oil analysis.

Reactions: Scott M

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
blackstone is a common used one. google 'blackstone used oil analysis' and you'll get a link to read up on it if you are interested. theirs is like $28 for the kit that you send back to them.
Just ordered a test kit! Thanks!

Reactions: Turd-250

·
Registered
5 Posts
We run delo 400 le in everything from little 3500 watt gas generators all the way up to our 600 hp Detroit series 60 engines that run @ 95 to 100% load all day long and never a problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts