Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just thought I’d get another’s opinion on the matter I’m dealing with. I have an 11 F350 cab and chassis that the exhaust is hazing and the smell will burn your eyes of fuel. Checked for codes with IDS, none present. Power balance perfect. Relative compression check perfect. Checked injector balance rates and they were all over the map on 5 out of 8 injectors to the point of max adjustment. No debris or water in fuel. Replaced 8 injectors with ford units, programmed IQA codes. still has overwhelming fuel smell from exhaust along with strong haze. Balance rates are now basically at 0. So should be able to rule out injector issues. Engine does have some blow by with “some” pressure behind it but not enough to lift oil fill cap out of its hole when loose. Engine has about 12,000 hours on it with mostly idle hours. 5” straight pipe, egr deleted with H&S mini max tunes. Drivers say it has been getting worse but more or less always been a bit stinky. This is terrible IMO at this point the way it is now.

Other than overhauling the engine or different tunes (latter not really an option) any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,406 Posts
Have you tried re-tuning it? Might be worth a shot. It seems to me these newer trucks that just idle are usually more worn down than the ones that run hard...

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re tuning as in different tunes? Or just reloading tunes? We have another truck with a 4” straight pipe deleted with patriot diagnostic tunes and that Truck does not do that at all. Same type of service as the problem Truck sees. I mean you can’t even really be near the tail pipe, the smell even gets into your clothes within 30 seconds of it running in the shop

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,406 Posts
Yea I was thinking trying different tunes on it if possible.

But now that I think about it, we had an F650 a while back that smoked like crazy every time you idled it. Could smoke out a whole block. We ended up doing a ccv re-route kit on it and it never smoked again. Not saying it's the same for you, but just a thought.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a TSB for the 2017 and newer trucks for a different style CCV box. Was that 650 a 6.7 of that vintage? The older trucks don’t seem to have that issue IME. I’ll pop the oil cap off and see if it goes away, but I did pull the outlet hose off the CCV box and there are vapors coming through without turbo suction. Granted not as much as if I remove the oil cap, but it’s not plugged up to the point of no flow.

I’m not sure if different tunes are an option. Would be extremely difficult in our case, and due to the fact the EPA is really cracking down on that stuff.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s probably worth noting the engine in the truck is a ford reman with the time I stated (12,000 hours).

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,406 Posts
Yea the 650 we did was a 2017 6.7 iirc. I have experienced issues with brand new (or almost brand new) Ford drop in engines in the past, 7.3s up to 6.7s alike. I was hoping it would somehow be something that could be remedied somewhat easily...

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a new 6.7 longblock from ford that drank a gallon of coolant every 2 weeks. The head on the passenger side was .007” out. Every cylinder on that bank was blown.

Yeah the 2017+ trucks had issues with the redesigned CCV box. Fix was to go back to older one. All 3 of our new trucks drank gallons of oil in a matter of weeks when this happened. No issues since the old style CCV boxes.

Pulled oil fill cap off no change in haze. Brought tune to lowest setting on low boost fueling. No change. Leaning toward cylinder sealing issue at this point from rings but I’ll keep it updated on what I find.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And that’s ford longblock did that from the day it was installed. I don’t use ford engines anymore. I build them myself and use a local machine shop that is very good for machine work.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will also add that after driving it he balance rates are all close to zero if not at zero with the exception of number seven which is pulling some fuel out, very similar if not the same from before the injector replacement

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered a compression test adapter and I’m going to physically check it and make my decision off the numbers. Thanks

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For those that were wondering, a valve job fixed this truck. All the intake valves had poor sealing per machine shop. Installed new head gaskets with ARP studs and no more hazing or coolant loss after about a month back in service. Block should have been decked due to some pitting around fire rings but due to time constraints on customer and myself (I am now out from surgery) my boss and customer decided to run as is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts