Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have driven quite a few diesel pickups, ranging from old to new, from 6.9 to a new Cummins, An OBS Ford with a Powerstroke is one of them that I haven't. The truck I recently purchased (which wasn't supposed to run but does) seems to have a considerable delay from foot pedal to actual throttle response and the power isn't exactly what I expected. However I have never driven one to compare it to and never experienced this kind of delay in any other diesel pickup I have ever driven. Is this normal or could I have other problems? The previous owner of this is a long time family friend who sold it to me after it was diagnosed to be a failed hpop. By who or what shop I have no idea. After (and please save the pep talk, relay for for the glow plugs is disconnected and fully aware of the dangers of this) a VERY conservative puff of either it fired right up and continued to start after reaching operating temperature. The truck has 213,000 miles on it, It has been very well maintained with proof of all oil changes and services since new, and aside from brakes, belts and hoses, has been virtually untouched. It still has the original clutch! I am going to be ordering new injector o-rings after reading the info on this site, but I am not sure if that could cause this problem. Have talked to previous owner, he has never had them replaced.I would just like to know if this is at all normal and if not what I should do to cure this problem.

·
Registered
433 Posts
is the EBPV still hooked up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not turbo lag, was not sure if hp oil or fuel pressure were to blame for this. the ebpv is still in place, the delay is more like I can put my foot to the floor and the motor will not react for about a second to a second and a half. i thought maybe more electronic... but like i say, the truck was diagnosed dead hpop a few years a go and just sat. how could they have come to this conclusion, I mean the computer won't fire the injector until a minimum oil pressure is acheived, correct? so why would it run now but not before? I will check fuel pres. but I have no way of checking hp oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update, ordered all new injector o-rings, waiting for delivery. More preventative if anything since they have never been replaced. could hp oil leaked by the o-rings and caused a false diagnoses of a failed hpop? going to put in new glow plugs while im in there. any brand I should stay away from? also now when its cold (live in Minnesota) the pedal is COMPLETELY unresponsive until the truck has run for about 15 min. and now starts very hard when warm. Does this sound like a familiar problem to anyone?

·
Registered
308 Posts
WAG here, but maybe the idle switch on the pedal is sticking?
Does sound like the TPS or IVS on the pedal assy. Take it out and spray with electrical contact cleaner. Don't use "carb spray"...

Replacements, if needed, can be found with a search in this forum (IVS).

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Not an expert but have you checked ICP voltage(hpop psi)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts