Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 f350 6spd ccsb with a 6.0 in it. It has a bully dog programmer on it. It usually gets left in tow mode. On my last trip I was hauling my camper full of gear (2500 lbs.) and a small utility trailer (1000 lbs). After a long haul up a hill my caoolant temp would increase and as as soon as it hit 210* the programmer cut the power mode down to stock and it said "defueling coolant". After that the coolant temp would drop down about 20-25* for a coupl;e minutes then heat back up to within 7-9*. Wondering what this defueling mode does and what could be causing the different temps in the oil and coolant ? Could I have a problem here ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ditch that bully dog and get yourself an Edge Insight. You need to monitor the temperature delta between the oil and coolant. If the oil is getting more than 15* hotter than the coolant then you need an oil cooler, very common issue on these engines.

After you determine the health of your oil cooler and address the problem as needed you should get an SCT programmer with some custom tunes.

Be careful driving the truck until you diagnose the health of your oil cooler. If you drive too long with a clogged oil cooler it will take out the EGR cooler and the head gaskets, and it will be an expensive repair bill.

Also, your post isn't very specific about the issue so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. Surely the bully dog isn't defueling the truck because the coolant hit 210* because that isn't very hot for these trucks.

My guess is the oil cooler though. Get those deltas and let us know what they are.

·
546 Posts
If i had to guess, sounds like the bully dog has a defueling setting for when the coolant temp hits 210. I would think you can go in and adjust it. Far as the "defueling coolant" i would say that it means defueling because coolant temp to high. But it cant fit all that on the screen. Defueling mode would limit fuel so temps wouldnt go over the set limit, so if if the coolant temp is set at 210 then it would limit fuel to make sure the motor doesnt over heat. The different temps between oil and coolant could be the oil cooler going south.

·
546 Posts
Ditch that bully dog and get yourself an Edge Insight. You need to monitor the temperature delta between the oil and coolant. If the oil is getting more than 15* hotter than the coolant then you need an oil cooler, very common issue on these engines.

After you determine the health of your oil cooler and address the problem as needed you should get an SCT programmer with some custom tunes.

Be careful driving the truck until you diagnose the health of your oil cooler. If you drive too long with a clogged oil cooler it will take out the EGR cooler and the head gaskets, and it will be an expensive repair bill.

Also, your post isn't very specific about the issue so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. Surely the bully dog isn't defueling the truck because the coolant hit 210* because that isn't very hot for these trucks.

My guess is the oil cooler though. Get those deltas and let us know what they are.
I am guessing he has the bully dog outlook monitor since he knows his coolant temp. An while that might not be hot for our trucks, the monitor might have been set with those temps from bully dog.... or something to that effect. But i have the insight and my truck i drive threw town every day and dont see that high of a temp. But i could see it with pulling weight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I do have a monitor on it. And yes the defueling temp is adjustable. It is set at 210. Should I raise it or leave it alone? What temp is high or normal for these trucks? It will only do it when its working hard going up a hill with towing weight. Just normal driving around town or on the highway it stays with in 5*.

·
546 Posts
I will look and see what the highest mine has been. But to be honest I don't pulla lot of weight that often so maybe someone who does will chime in.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you can, i would turn the defueling for it off. As long as your temps are staying within 5* then your oil cooler should be fine. So no need to have your truck going through a defueling phase. Just turn that setting off if you can.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I pull a 14k 5er and in 90* heat on a 6% grade about 6 miles long my ECT 218* and my EOT 228* and the fan sounds like a jet plane. The only thing i can say about the Bully Bog is they are hard on the trans, the SCTX3 is a way better tuner.
2 stroker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts