Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 F250 6.7. Bought with about 50k on the clock and driven it about 15k since purchasing Nov 2020. I was starting a trip from AZ to ID on Thursday when the truck started loosing power and had no boost showing on the gauge for the turbo. Black smoke was coming from the exhaust before the truck shut off completely. I had it taken to the dealer here in AZ who serviced it about 10 days ago. (oil change, air filter, etc) The mechanic said something broke in the exhaust filter or DEF and caused it clog. The service managed said it was clogged because of soot. The dealer says that it is not covered by any sort of warranty. $5500+ for the repair (new DEF/filter system)
Before the the failure, I did not receive any message that there was an issue with DEF system. The help.ford.com/emissions-defect-warranty page says it should be under an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty.
Has anyone else had a similar issue? Can I make Ford responsible for the repair?
It seems like to me if it was clogged, I should have gotten a message that it needed a regen.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is taking you for a wallet cleaning. I’d take it some where else. They should be able to manually regen it at 200% saturation as far as the DPF filter.

What is the issue with the DEF system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The truck shut off completely on side of the road and wouldn't restart. The mechanic said the only way the truck would idle is if he disconnected the down pipe from the DPF. Supposedly there is a complete occlusion of the DEF/DPF. If it won't run with the exhaust system connected, then it seems like it's too late to get it to do a regen??
My question is shouldn't I have been seeing something on the dash saying the truck was do a regen....or if it was becoming occluded there should have been a warning message??
I have read if the EGR is faulty it won't do a regen. Is this the case?
I had a 2000 F250 with 7.3. Owned it for 15 years and 350,000 trouble free miles. 0 issues with that truck hauling horses, hay and equipment. The 6.7 is all new to me and EPA BS that's on it.
I also purchased a separate extended warranty when I purchased the truck, but supposedly the DPF isn't covered because it is considered a "wear" item. MORE BS.
Too bad I don't live in someplace like Seattle...I'd park it on the street with a Trump sticker and come back later to a charred pile of metal. Problem solved. LOL

·
2011 6.7L (Current)
32 Posts
The truck shut off completely on side of the road and wouldn't restart. The mechanic said the only way the truck would idle is if he disconnected the down pipe from the DPF. Supposedly there is a complete occlusion of the DEF/DPF. If it won't run with the exhaust system connected, then it seems like it's too late to get it to do a regen??
My question is shouldn't I have been seeing something on the dash saying the truck was do a regen....or if it was becoming occluded there should have been a warning message??
I have read if the EGR is faulty it won't do a regen. Is this the case?
I had a 2000 F250 with 7.3. Owned it for 15 years and 350,000 trouble free miles. 0 issues with that truck hauling horses, hay and equipment. The 6.7 is all new to me and EPA BS that's on it.
I also purchased a separate extended warranty when I purchased the truck, but supposedly the DPF isn't covered because it is considered a "wear" item. MORE BS.
Too bad I don't live in someplace like Seattle...I'd park it on the street with a Trump sticker and come back later to a charred pile of metal. Problem solved. LOL
Maybe now you know why some folks drop the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2011 6.7L (Current)
32 Posts
Maybe now you know why some folks drop the weight.

I’ll be honest, as I was reading no boost, and black smoke, I was immediately thinking of the intercooler tube blowing off or coming apart. When the you pulled over did you pop the hood? Anything look out of place? CELs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything under the hood looked fine. A blown line was my first thought. Had that happen with my 7.3 before the clamp recall. It's just crazy to me that 10 days ago the truck was in for service

·
2011 6.7L (Current)
32 Posts
No aftermarkets I know of. Plenty of folks get to this crossroads. From experience, you are over the barrel unless you take it to another dealership for another opinion. Either dish out the cash to Ford or elsewhere. These are expensive trucks, when you have to have it towed, plan on spending at least $1500. Bump.

·
2011 6.7L (Current)
32 Posts
No aftermarkets I know of. Plenty of folks get to this crossroads. From experience, you are over the barrel unless you take it to another dealership for another opinion. Either dish out the cash to Ford or elsewhere. These are expensive trucks, when you have to have it towed, plan on spending at least $1500. Bump.

Last thing I’ll mention is, if the tech can demonstrate to you why something is broken with physical evidence you can see, then it’s hard to deny it. If they are asking for $5500, I don’t think it’s asking them too much to show you why they came to that decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it was clogging up, it seems I should have had a message from the truck. Not getting a warning tells me something else is miss before the DPF issue. Yes/no?? EGR or other sensor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts