Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the place for this question:

I have a set of Toyo's AT's on the truck and with 35000 miles on them. I plan on doing some winter camping. With the possibility of deep snow is it recommended to drop the air pressure down some for better traction?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would, but with deep snow a wide tire workes pretty good but have tools to get yourself out if you get stuck. Deep snow is tricky especially if you have little to no lift.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
then scratch that, the guy i talked to is a total idiot then, people talk to much about things they don't know. Me personally i dont have wide tires and i didn't get stuck go figure.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Wide tires are worse. Do you have a dually? Thats even worse. I got 265 A/Ts on my truck, throw a few red oak sumps in the back and I dont even really have to use 4x4 unless it gets really really bad. You want skinny tires that will sink right into the snow with good tread. Lots of weight in the back helps too but 4x4 is magic cause you have so much weight on the front. If your pulling give yourself a ton of room to stop so you can ease into it, you dont want that trailer sliding around on you as you brake

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
Guys.. he's talking about deep snow driving, OFF ROAD.

That being said. Wide tires are better for off road driving. They'll help to keep his truck somewhat on top of the snow instead of DEEP in it.

I agree, narrow tires are good if you have to drive on road in the snow, as they *should* help cut thru snow and slush. But from what he said about camping I would assume he means off road driving.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Maybe I am completly wrong but the way that I have always learned snow driving and my experience also agrees with this is that wider tires distribute your weight over the snow better and therefor your truck is more likely to slip. Its not like dirt where more contact is better. You want thin tires to make it as close to the dirt as possible. That is just what I have leaned and seen so far but I live in Northern Indiana not Montana or something

·
Ford Motor Co. Worker
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I do need this type of info. I live in Canada, and at times we do have a bit of snow where I live. I am going camping about 4.5 hours north from the Toronto are. I expect to see a bit of snow and yes it will be some off road driving. I expect some of the trails will be packed down from others driving before me though. Nice to see the support of others here.

·
HHAUL'N STROKER
1,574 Posts
With my exp in diving in the mountains in deep snow youll want skinny tires to cut through the snow. Wide ones will do you no good. Just floats and spins on top. And where we go theres barley a 2 track if that.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i second the chains.
i dont have them on my truck but i plow with a 2WD tractor that has turf tires on it i wrap a set of chains around them and i go better than my friends 4wd foreman 500

1 - 12 of 12 Posts