Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to admit...I ordered an F-350 but after the pickuptrucks.com review I was starting to wonder if I should look at the GM's. Especially since I absolutely love my 09 Yukon XL. Well last week my local GMC dealer got a Duramax 2500 SLT CrewCab in so I had to go take it out.

Walking around the GMC I can say that I LOVE the lines of the truck. (GMC ONLY. The hood on the Chevy is FUGLY!!) In a nutshell the GM looks a lot more "sporty" than the Ford. Especially with the new cab lights and 20" polished aluminum wheels. I REALLY liked those!

The leather interior was pretty much the same as my Yukon so no surprises there. Comfort wasn't bad. However, when I drove the truck I felt the side of the seats pinched my lower back a little. I also noticed that there was a lot of engine noise at cruise.

Anyway, the first place I drove the new Duramax to was the Ford dealer. I backed it in right next to an '11 F-250 to do some comparisons. Obviously the Ford has a larger appearance. It definitely looks more than 300 lbs heavier to me. I laid down between the trucks and look at the guts. I was VERY impressed with how much nicer and beefier the Sierra's drive shaft was. Definitely a nice set up. I did notice however, that the GM has A LOT of exposed wiring running along the outside of the frame. I didn't care for that a whole lot. Another thing that was glaring with the trucks sitting side by side was how much nicer the mirrors are. Not only were the GM's smaller, but the don't offer the power extension (not a big deal to me to be honest) NOR do they offer power folding. That IS a big deal to me cause I like to run through the car wash once in a while.

The next thing I compared was the interior. (Lariat vs SLT leather) This one was not even close. Being 6' 2" 240 lbs the Ford just fits me better. The front seats don't pinch my sides in the Ford like they do in the GM. The seats are also MUCH plusher were as the Sierra was pretty firm. Much firmer than my Yukon which surprised me.

Another huge factor for me was the back seat. With the driver seat in a comfortable position for me I jumped in the back. With the Ford I had about 3 inches from my knees to the back of the seat in contrast to the GM where my knees touched. I also was able to put my feet around 4-6 inches further forward which gave me a much more comfortable back seat in the F-250.

After looking over everything I could think to compare I took the Sierra back to the dealer and returned to drive the Ford again. The differences were glaring to me. The GM was MUCH louder while driving. You ALWAYS knew you had a diesel while the Ford was almost silent unless you were getting on it. I do like the sound of a diesel but I can see where the constant drone could be fatiguing on a long drive in comparison.

The next thing I noticed was the ride quality on the Ford was MUCH better and less harsh than the GMC. I noticed a lot more shudder and bed bounce on the GMC than the Ford. The Ford was carlike in comparison.

Well after it was all said and done I was very pleased that I was able to confirm my original decision to order the Ford!! In a nut shell I liked the exterior of the GMC a LITTLE better than the Ford but I liked the interior of the Ford A HECK OF A LOT better than the GM.

Some side notes between the GM and the Ford:

GM - Navigation doesn't show fuel prices or whether the gas stations in the database even have diesel. NOT GOOD in the middle of no where!

GM - Doesn't offer Travelink so NO RADAR. Which for me will be nice so I can navigate around lake effect snow bands.

GM - Doesn't offer any type of productivity screen. Once you see it on the Ford you WANT IT!!

GM - Only way to get heated AND cooled seats is to get the Denali. Then you have to suffer through all that god awful plastic wood.

Ford - Limited leather color choices. I REALLY like the color of the Titanium leather seats in the Sierra. Ford offers a similar color. They call is Stone I believe. I would have liked to have had that option.

Sorry for being so long winded. Just thought I would write a layman's comparison.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm very curious, since you were able to drive both trucks(Powerstroke vs. Duramax), how did the power feel between the two. Did the Duramax feel noticeably more powerful or did they feel fairly equally...if you could even tell? I know several of us would like to know an opinion from a non editorial source.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
That massive driveshaft on the GM is likely a thin hollow shell. But the Eaton locker on GM's is way better than the Ford limited slip. You have to watch carefully when you compare rides on dealer lots, they all almost never have proper inflation in their tires and I usually run recommended to plus 5 on the front, and 50-55 in rear if I don't plan on carrying weight. I hate to be an azz about this but I want a truck to ride like a truck and carry weight without looking like you broke your springs. You can't even get a stout one ton anymore because so many people complained about the ride of the "heavy duty pickup" they felt they needed, that the manufacturers chased that market and effed them up for me. I guess I am certainly in the minority..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm very curious, since you were able to drive both trucks(Powerstroke vs. Duramax), how did the power feel between the two. Did the Duramax feel noticeably more powerful or did they feel fairly equally...if you could even tell? I know several of us would like to know an opinion from a non editorial source.
Well the truck I drove hadn't been reflashed yet. Power wise you really can't tell a whole lot of difference imo. However, to me the Allison seemed a little confused. Not sure if it has to learn anything, but the downshift wasn't as smooth as the ford. To me the Ford almost feels like a CVT tranny. In almost every facet the Ford was more comfortable.

·
IM OUT!!!
4,548 Posts
That massive driveshaft on the GM is likely a thin hollow shell. But the Eaton locker on GM's is way better than the Ford limited slip. You have to watch carefully when you compare rides on dealer lots, they all almost never have proper inflation in their tires and I usually run recommended to plus 5 on the front, and 50-55 in rear if I don't plan on carrying weight. I hate to be an azz about this but I want a truck to ride like a truck and carry weight without looking like you broke your springs. You can't even get a stout one ton anymore because so many people complained about the ride of the "heavy duty pickup" they felt they needed, that the manufacturers chased that market and effed them up for me. I guess I am certainly in the minority..
couldnt agree with you more on this!!!

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
couldnt agree with you more on this!!!
Thank god, I'm so tired of reading about who's rides the cushiest and "oh I love the factory transmission reprograming, I can't even feel the tranny shift anymore". I want to feel a little kick every time my trans hits a gear. I understand that folks want something that can do it all, but trucks are moving away from their intent to perform as a tool.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah... it's fun to have a truck that "rides like a truck" and shifts hard... mine would be a perfect example of what you like. It's loud as hell too, you would probably love that as well.:blah:

People who have to spend countless hours in their trucks pulling loads down the highway appriciate the comforts more than we would.. Just a thought.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thank god, I'm so tired of reading about who's rides the cushiest and "oh I love the factory transmission reprograming, I can't even feel the tranny shift anymore". I want to feel a little kick every time my trans hits a gear. I understand that folks want something that can do it all, but trucks are moving away from their intent to perform as a tool.
Somebody hit the nail on the the head lol i'm right behind you if i was worried about the ride i would buy a caddi to get my grocheries.:eek:

·
Registered
592 Posts
and i agree the F350 i drove was one of the nices truck i have drove in a while,and i've had two duramax's one 07 and a 09 both 2500's

the new f350 was one sweet ride IMHO!

I'm going back over their and Drive the truck again! thats How good it drove,and I want to check measurements on the Steering wheel to door.....and tilt angle :~(

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How can you not care about ride? LOL If I could tow my snowmobile trailer with a caddy i would! I don't see any point in spending $61,000 on a truck that beats you up when you can have one thats SMOOOOOOOOTH? Like the great Larry the Cable Guy once said "Thats like wiping before you poop. It don't make no sense." This is why we have technological advancements in progressive rate suspensions, smoother trannys etc.

Now the GM may ride awesome when there's a 5th wheel with 5000 lb hitch weight. But what I am towing doesn't weigh that much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whoa guys, calm down!! :confused:

Its like some of you want Ford to stay in the dinosaur ages! You really expect Ford to be making identical trucks as they did back in late 90's?? Its called IMPROVEMENT. In case you haven't noticed, Ford (and Chevy, Dodge) have all been working hard to get these trucks where they are now, and you should appreciate it! Just because it has a smooth ride, is quiet and has seamless shifts makes it no less capable then previous model years. Infact, the new trucks are WAY more capable than the older ones. Sounds like some of you are just jealous. If you had the money for one of these amazing new trucks, you'd be standing in line for the next one to come off the assembly line, no doubt about it! :ford:

Some of the crap you guys say just kill me with laughter. Keep it going Ford!! Your doing great!! This is way more TRUCK than ever before.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have a 99 ccsb 7.3 250 and we do a lot of towing with it (upwards of 20k sometimes) and the truck squats quite a bit at that, but a few of my neighbors with newer trucks hook their little trailer with a small skidsteer and the truck is basically on the ground.. I know some of you want ride comfort and what not.. But they should have a TRUE tow package with stiffer or shorter springs again for people who dont want to have to put airbags in the day they drive it off the lot. Just my .02...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well the truck I drove hadn't been reflashed yet. Power wise you really can't tell a whole lot of difference imo. However, to me the Allison seemed a little confused. Not sure if it has to learn anything, but the downshift wasn't as smooth as the ford. To me the Ford almost feels like a CVT tranny. In almost every facet the Ford was more comfortable.
This is why everybody should drive one for their self!!!

Everybody thats got the re-flash comments on how much better the tranny shifts :confused: But your making it sound like it's better than the allison, i'm NOT saying either is top dog just Making a point...

And yes the Allison has a learning period,I've read it can be as high as 5,000 miles,some sooner... I Never even noticed it in my 07 or 09 :shrug:

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
These longer leaf springs squat with less load. My trailer makes my new truck squat more than the old one even though the new truck has a higher capacity. Firestone just released an airbag kit. I'll be getting one soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is why everybody should drive one for their self!!!

Everybody thats got the re-flash comments on how much better the tranny shifts :confused: But your making it sound like it's better than the allison, i'm NOT saying either is top dog just Making a point...

And yes the Allison has a learning period,I've read it can be as high as 5,000 miles,some sooner... I Never even noticed it in my 07 or 09 :shrug:
I did not say the Allison wasn't as good. I'm simply saying the the one I drove was noticably less smooth then the Ford that I took out immediately after. Maybe it was because the Sierra I drove had 13 miles on it? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
These longer leaf springs squat with less load. My trailer makes my new truck squat more than the old one even though the new truck has a higher capacity. Firestone just released an airbag kit. I'll be getting one soon.
Instead of the air bags, you might check into Timbrens, Cheaper priced I imagine, less "Long term" maintenance I would guess, (I have NEVER owned air bags, so I do not have a clue really, just trying to be logical) I have Timbrens on my 03 and like them, they are basically HUGE bump stops which the truck sits down onto when it's loaded to that point. Then they actually provide some suspension movement and still ride nicely. When empty they are not in the picture at all! The springs do not touch them then. There will be a space between them and the bottom spring.
Heck, you can get them for the front too if you thought you needed them.

Vehicle Suspension Kits - Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

and here is the PDF for the '11's

http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/FR350SDF.pdf

·
Registered
182 Posts
The one reason I will never buy a GM Pickup, Is all the wires/frame you see on the side. WTF? They can't tuck the frame up alittle and drop the body of the truck lower so it wont look so bad.......

How was the Tranny's? Which felt smoother?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts