Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on gathering parts for my 73 F250 project and came across what I think to be a good deal. I have used JL and Pioneer in the past and have no experience with Phoenix Gold or Diamond Audio.
I found 2ea 12" Diamond Audio CM3's for a good price and I also found a single Phoenix Gold RSDC 12" for a good price. I like to hear and feel my bass, but sound quality is more important tham rattling the car next to me. I know the Diamond's will be easier to "find" room for.
These will be going in a stanard cab p/u (using a 78 F250 cab without the gas tank behind the seat).
Let me know if anyone has some personal experience on these subs. They both seem to have pretty good reviews, but you all know how that goes.....

:fordoval:

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
Usually in trucks mounting depth is the key limiting factor. The RSDC's are shallower than the CM3's 5-3/4" and 6-1/4" respectively. Not much but never know until you have solid dimensions. Also the RSDC appear to have a magnet boot on them, can probably remove it and gain a little more room if need be.

I don't have any experience with either woofer, but have heard good things about both companies, just not too many people running their stuff. Usually for Diamond you will find people with D6 and D9 subs, or sometimes components, for Phoenix Gold their component sets got RAVE reviews for quite a while and the RSD subs are considered a great bang for the buck sub.

Only trouble I might see is it appears the CM3's haven't been produced in years (about 5 it seems) while the RSDC's are still being currently built, HOWEVER it appears that Phoenix Gold as a company is being restructured under new ownership.

Wish it was an easy case of one product being junk and the other being good, but I honesty don't think you could loose with either choice.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the imput. I saw the magnet boot too, and figured I could gain a little.

I changed my tune, but only a little and I pulled the trigger on a pair of Phoenix Gold RSDC104's. One of my main concerns with the RSDC's was the large (tall) surround, but I'll work that out. I figured the 10's would be good enough for reg cab truck. I got both subs and a set of MB Quart Discus DKH116 6.5" 2-Way's shipped for $190.00. Not too bad of a deal. Once I get home, I'll be able to see how creative I get to be building the box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts